The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
scoyote

Blazer rear side panels

OK....getting ready to make my rear side panels (thanks yellowblazer1969) for the blazer and I'm wondering what material will work best?

3/8 plywood maybe or ????

I plan to carpet them and install speakers in front of and behind the wheel wells plus I will be making an access panel in the very back so I can store a small tool kit and a bottle jack, tire repair kit....etc.

I thought I would just screw them into the bed rails on the top and maybe use a channel to slide it into on the bottom or if nothing else I can just use some angle and screw it down there too.

But, I need something skinny and sturdy that will hold carpet glue.

What have you guys done or anyone have ideas?

1991 F250 - Hunting truck w/ Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front and rear winches .... and more....
1997 Grand Cherokee - fun jeep - Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front winch, 411 gears, lots of lights ;-)
2004 Hot Rod DuraMax - Dnyo'd at the wheels with 525 HP and 1100 lbs torque.....mustang killer.
scoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

Re: Blazer rear side panels

3/8" would be heavy enough, but3/8" will start getting heavy if you have double wall top and have to take the panels out to get to the bolts! I'd look at the difference in price of 3/8" and 1/4". I'd probably use 1/4" and just beef up around the speaker openings and the access for price and weight!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Dusty71blazer

My blazer came with some home made panels made from 1/4 hardboard (simular to MDF).
I would say this will be heavy enough, after I mount it a little better- right now it's not mounted very well and seems a little flimsy.
I plan to mount speakers in mine too, and I will be "beefing up" the panel around the speaker locations & will probably use 3/4 MDF there. I'm trying to come up with some type of pattern to dress it up a little- I just have a little "creativity block" but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

If anyone has any unique designs on their panels please post pictures- I promise to only use your designs as inspiration!

'97 Dodge Ram (daily driver)
'71 Blazer (supposed to be a toy... insists on being a project)
'85 Monte Carlo SS (project)
Dusty71blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
truckster

I think the 1/4" hardboard is probably closer to what the stock panels had backing them up. I'll probably use 1/4" plywood when I eventually do mine, just to make them a little more durable.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
BigRed Beast

If you have a trim strip along the side of the top rail, it's set up for something less than 3/8"...trust me on this!

We did 1/4" with a basic indoor outdoor--a temp fix for sure--but I still haven't figured out a satisfactory solution to the double wall install and removal. I hate the idea of pulling the panels out every spring and fall,,,
BigRed Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
scoyote

I'm selling my hard top...never plan on using it.
I'll be putting on one of the "convertible" tops from Softopper.com

So, removing the panels isn't a problem.

I'm more concerned with them being rigid enough to hold up.

Possibly the carpet/glue will add to them and I am starting to think that 1/4" is good enough as long as I double it up at the speaker and access door cut outs.

I don't have a trim at the top of the bed rail....but I'll be putting something up there.

I'm with Dusty71Blazer.....if you have pics....PLEASE post them.

1991 F250 - Hunting truck w/ Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front and rear winches .... and more....
1997 Grand Cherokee - fun jeep - Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front winch, 411 gears, lots of lights ;-)
2004 Hot Rod DuraMax - Dnyo'd at the wheels with 525 HP and 1100 lbs torque.....mustang killer.
scoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Dusty71blazer

I think it would be cool to have panels cut out of aluminum treadplate, this could be a better option for you if there is a chance they may see a little weather.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
RALONG

I used the white plastic with bumps on one side that is made for showers and bathroom i contact semented two pieces togather worked great and held 6x9 speekers two years no trouble
RALONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Mike C

I made mine out of 1/4" plywood and covered in black vinyl. It actually screwed to the mounting flanges in the back, and in the front I trimmed it where it slipped in behind the B-pillar flange that runs from the top of the bed rail to the floor. I drilled an over sized hole in the B-pillar piece, then pulled the panel out flush using a screw and trim washer. I have 6 1/2" coaxials mounted in them, and it works great. My first set lasted 12 years, and the current ones have been in there 8.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
swyfor5

Any pic's, anybody? I want to go with diamond plate myself.
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
Dusty71blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed Beast View Post
I still haven't figured out a satisfactory solution to the double wall install and removal. I hate the idea of pulling the panels out every spring and fall,,,
I have a single wall top, but I was thinking about your dilema with the dual wall top...
it would take some more work but could you just stop your panels 3"-4" down from the bedrail and have a trim piece that would either snap or velcro on to cover the gap- quick & easy to remove & replace. That way the main panel can stay in place & speakers, etc that are mounted in it are not affected.

I am no artist but I did my best to draw what I am thinking...
Name:  panel idea.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  6.1 KB

Just an idea, hope it helps!

Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
BigRed Beast

Yeah, Dustin, I agree with your concept...it's something that kind of evolves as the only way to have a side panel and yet get to the bolts short of modifying the top or just getting a single wall.

I was actually toying with the idea of just leaving the side panel short of the top rail, then fiberglassing a return from the side panel into the sheetmetal. That method would leave an open "shelf" below the bolts for the top.

But, I like your concept of a removable strip--you could take it a step further by installing a matching chrome channel on the side panel, then sliding the removable piece between the trim on the bed rail and the channel on the side panel. Covering it in a similar fabric but different color would turn it into an accent strip.

Good brainstorm!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Dusty71blazer

Could even be a cool place to haul a fishing pole

Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
BigRed Beast

Yeah, I guess you could set it up for a fishing pole...or a one man/two man tent.

It's my son's Blazer--he's 16, and this is his first car, so we're trying to set it up to be fairly universal for the things we think he'll be doing with it--other than cruising the town with the top down!

I've always wanted to build a false floor from wheel well to wheel well and from the tailgate to the back of the rear seat. The plan was to have storage pods in this area for stuff that he could leave in the truck without have it..."borrowed". The fishing pole and camping gear came to mind. We would have to build another storage pod for when the back seat came out, something we could bolt in and remove fairly easily. We could even leave it in full time and bolt the back seat to it, top on or off. Who knows?

But, the key to it all is having the side panels as a permanent feature, and I think we're on to something.