The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
Huck

Tranny question--maybe?

MY 71 truck turbo 350 is slow to engage when it's cold. Can take like 30 seconds before you get any action in either forward or reverse. Is this a factor of old fluid, dirty filter, or other more discusting problem? It also is not the best at downshifting when you push the pedal to the floor. If you manually pull hte shifter into second, it is just fine. I did check the vacuum line to the trans and it seems ok. Thought's, idea's, experience's, guesses??? Thanks---Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

mine was a weak pump it lasted abouth 6 mnths after that but i think a clogged filter will do that to good luck

71 k20 sons

bassett va
72shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:16 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

I would change the fluid and filter. Also, if the transmission is a little low on fluid, it will act the same way. On the downshift, the cable needs to be adjusted. (By the carb).

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 04:00 PM   #4
jays68yak

Like above I would check fuild and filter first. Ive had a pump and a the bands go bad and give kinda the same problem. Althought the bands just wouldnt go most of the time. You could always take it down to a tranny shop and have them test drive it.

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. "
jays68yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 04:04 PM   #5
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I can almost gaurantee you that if you change the oil and filter the transmission will give up on you in the next few months. I have discussed this with several transmission shops and they all recommended that if you did not regularly change the fluid not to it at all. The fluid will build up a certain amount of particles as it ages and these particles if removed and replaced with fresh fluid will cause the tranny to not engage at all.

Did you check the fluid level. Sounds like your converter is not doing its job.

Again, from experience (the expensive way) I would ask around before you change the fluid...
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

My tranny is going out too. When I get in it in the morning I have to let it sit for about 10 minutes before it will engage, and then it slips out at the corner about 1/10th of a mile from my house and I have to sit for another minute before it will engage. I do believe mine is caused by worn bands, and possibly a worn pump.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:41 PM   #7
jamie72

been out power braking AGAIN...now you broke it.
i`d take to a tranny shop (one you trust)
maybe the bands need adjusted,had one do that adjusted bands and drove it(hard) for a couple more years before it died,but htat was behind a big block and heavy foot.
good luck
jamie

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 04:56 PM   #8
COBALT

No, that doesn't sound like a converter problem. Sounds more like a front pump problem or a valve body problem.

Sounds like it's taking way too long to build up enough fluid pressure to change the fluid path in valve body - OR - there is enough pressure, but the appropriate position of the main part of the valve body is taking way too long to actuate to the right position or loosing pressure once it gets there. The fact that it will shift into L2 without any problem makes me think the valve body is the culprit since the actuation of the main valve selector is different from P to D than P to L1 or L2. Same with the detent circuit (which is used when you mash the petal).

The only thing you can do is drop the pan and check for debris. I've heard of people finding broken lip seals in their pan, which would cause a problem like this. If the main valve actuator has broken a seal then fluid pressure isn't being contained in the appropriate paths of the valve body, and can be leaking over into other circuits. That would explain the good response in L2 but bad in D.

Even if you don't find anything you may have to at least rebuild your valve body, some of which can be done with the tranmission in the truck if absolutely necessary, but messing with the front pump means it has to come out.

Also, the practice of NOT changing your fluid in fear of having to rebuild the transmission is a valid one, but usually depends on how your transmission has been wearing over time, which you can really only tell if (you guessed it) drop the pan, which means this argument is pointless anyway. If your transmission contains a bit of sludge, and an excessive amount of gray paint in the pan then changing the fluid will only cause more short-term wear (but you're stuck replacing the fluid because the old stuff is sitting in a bucket on your shop floor). If your fluid is clean, with the typical thin layer of gray paint at the bottom of the pan then you should change your fluid, because it probably means your filter is full of that same gray paint, and the wear rate probably won't be increased. If you have excessive sludge, gray paint, and debris larger than the size of a beebee pellet then you shouldn't be worried about changing fluid. You should be rebuilding your transmission. Period.

Good luck.
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 01-21-2003 at 05:00 PM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:19 PM   #9
Huck

Thanks guys for your help. I will pull the pan and probably replace the filter is it looks kaka. Changing the fluid may help if the old is being choked out by the temp change and a dirty filter but------I'm not going to rebuild the trans as it would cost me more then buying a rebuilt or a guaranteed good one from a yard. I also have a 700R4 out of an 88 silverado looking for a home so~~~~. Thanks again and I'll let you all know what I find and do. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote