The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
dm motorsports

1970 Front Suspension

So 2 weeks ago I stumbled upon a 1070 C-10 from TEXAS that a guy had taken apart. Well now I have 3 truck loads of parts and a plan for the next year or so. I've been reading for the past 2 weeks and I have begun a list of where I'm heading. My question is what is the best way to upgrade the 1970to P/brakes with rotors and P/steering? Should I look for a donor truck, should I buy some ECE spindles to fit what i have, should I look for a newer truck and swap out crossmember and all? Just looking for some recommendations based on all of your experiences after alot of reading. It is a 6bolt so this has been weighing into the equation... thanks in advance.

Last edited by dm motorsports; 11-19-2009 at 10:40 PM.
dm motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: 1970 Front Suspension

Welcome to the board.
What are your plans besides disc brakes?
Lowering?
Stock?
Keeping it 6-lug or switching to 5-lug?
ECE is the way to go for anything you might need.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
bodyman9174

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm motorsports View Post
So 2 weeks ago I stumbled upon a 1070 C-10 from TEXAS that a guy had taken apart. Well now I have 3 truck loads of parts and a plan for the next year or so. I've been reading for the past 2 weeks and I have begun a list of where I'm heading. My question is what is the best way to upgrade the 1970to P/brakes with rotors and P/steering? Should I look for a donor truck, should I buy some ECE spindles to fit what i have, should I look for a newer truck and swap out crossmember and all? Just looking for some recommendations based on all of your experiences after alot of reading. It is a 6bolt so this has been weighing into the equation... thanks in advance.
Doing this right now on my 70. I"m changing everything cross member to.Don't know if you have to but I got all the stuff with the truck. So might as well
Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Welcome to the board. For power steering and power disk brakes you gotta change out/add a bunch of parts but you don't have to change out the crossmember. The question you have to ask is are you going to 5 lug or 6 lug on the front? 5 lug is a lot easier as you can just get 71-72 spindles. besides all the other obvious parts, don't forget you will need a 71-72 proportioning valve. For safety's sake, it's probably better to go with new, quality parts rather than used.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
dm motorsports

Sorry i didn't want to bother you all with all my questions I've been doing alot of reading on here so far and thought its best to keep reading before i ask too many questions.
So I should have said upfront I'm fairly crafty and likely will make alot of my own stuff, I do alot of hand fab work. I have right now a spare 400hp GM Crate motor out of my circle track so so that will likely go in it. I am definately going to lower it, after all the reading it sounds like for my first truck (my wife is going to drive mostly) likely I should go with the spindle spring combination with a C-Notch. I want it nice and low but not banging the frame low, I want to keep inner fenders in the front. It sounds like alot of guys recommend the 5bolt over the 6. I'm not really to build this thing cheapy cheapy I want to build it right So keeping that in mind....I'm wondering should I look for a newer 5bolt(not sure what year is best) with PS and PB and then swap everything over and buy drop spindles for that, or should I just leave the 6 bolt in the rear, buy a set of ECE drop spindles for the 70 front suspension and then attempt to upgrade that to PS and PB..I've been trying to find the right answer and i know everyone does it a different way i'm just looking for some of you recommendations based on experience. The other thing to kepp in mund is that around here (eastern canada) its easy to find early 80's chevs but hard to find early 70's. Thanks again

Last edited by dm motorsports; 11-20-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Swap in the early 80's components onto your crossmember.
Use all the steering stuff also.
Buy drop spindles for "year" of donated donor parts.
You can either use a 6-lug ECE conversion rotors (as long as your donor truck has 1.25" rotors originally),... or swap rear axles and keep everything 5-lug. Swapping in a 71-72 rear axle is another 5-lug option.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 11-21-2009 at 11:28 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
dm motorsports

I found a couple 86 trucks laying around with ps pb and tilt. Can i use this stuff on my 70 or is the stuff too new?