The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
72step

Spin On Filter Conversion Leaking!

I installed the spin on conversion deal on my 327 a couple of years ago and it leaks when parked when the engine is hot. Not enough to notice on the dipstick but enough to stain the garage floor. I'm tempted to go back to the canister, but how could I fix this slight leak before I give up on the spin on? Thanks.
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Spin On Filter Conversion Leaking!

did you try tightning the mounting bolts?
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
BluTrukker
BOHICA

new or oversized O-ring? Put a little RTV on the mating surface? Either is worth a shot, I hate oil drips on the garage floor!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
72step

No I haven't. I do remember it being a little bit of a challenge to get that first part in; the oil valve piece then the spin on piece kinda sandwiches the other piece up there and maybe the seal is just off a bit. I could try and tighten it first. Just wondering if there was a trick to get it installed right. Is it uncommon for them to leak? Shall I try some sort of sealant/gasket maker around the bigger rubber gasket? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

i chased this with my truck ..what a pia ...My I ended up at a Big truck shop they have huge selections of the square O rings...I picked up one that was the correct size put a little gasket rtv and put it back to gether no more leaks

I would try to tighen it gently first if it gets worse see plan A

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
brn agn

I just went through this same process last weekend. I used the Mr Gasket conversion kit (P/N 1270). After I got it installed, it leaked. No matter how much I tightened the adapter or the oil filter, it still leaked. I took it apart and found a defect in the gasket that was supplied with the kit. See the picture below. I installed the original gasket and it is leak free. I eventually need to find a new gasket (Mr Gasket told me that my only option is to return the entire kit to the place where I purchased it). My opinion is that the gasket that came with the kit is low quality. Besides the void in the picture below, it had a lot of excess flashing on it.

1971 Cheyenne Super A Combined Effort

The Service Station-A practical ministry for those in need
brn agn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
i chased this with my truck ..what a pia ...My I ended up at a Big truck shop they have huge selections of the square O rings...I picked up one that was the correct size put a little gasket rtv and put it back to gether no more leaks

I would try to tighen it gently first if it gets worse see plan A

Are you talking about the big o ring or the small one affixed to the part?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn agn View Post
I just went through this same process last weekend. I used the Mr Gasket conversion kit (P/N 1270). After I got it installed, it leaked. No matter how much I tightened the adapter or the oil filter, it still leaked. I took it apart and found a defect in the gasket that was supplied with the kit. See the picture below. I installed the original gasket and it is leak free. I eventually need to find a new gasket (Mr Gasket told me that my only option is to return the entire kit to the place where I purchased it). My opinion is that the gasket that came with the kit is low quality. Besides the void in the picture below, it had a lot of excess flashing on it.

Well I installed this kit like almost 2 years ago so I'm not going to return it. By original gasket, do you mean like the one that usually comes with the canister type filter? I might try and remove it clean it up and add a bead of tube-gasket material.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

like I said I went through this so check with you local Big Truck parts shop or a cataplar equipment shop they have a great selection of the O rings and they are high quality

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
Well I installed this kit like almost 2 years ago so I'm not going to return it. By original gasket, do you mean like the one that usually comes with the canister type filter? I might try and remove it clean it up and add a bead of tube-gasket material.
The one I had problems with is the large d-ring/gasket that is supplied with the kit. It is the one that you put in the block before the adapter plate is installed.

By the original gasket, I meant the gasket that went in the same place as the defective one (in the block). I hope this helps. I agree with Hottrucks, the ideal situation is to find a replacement gasket and see if that helps your problem. Before you install it, ensure both mating surfaces are clean and do not have any damage on them.

1971 Cheyenne Super A Combined Effort

The Service Station-A practical ministry for those in need
brn agn is offline   Reply With Quote