The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
cyberpine

Converting to Manual windows

I'm looking to convert my 87 C10 to manual windows. The power windows and locks currently down't work.

I found these for about $45 for both but says it's for a V30. Will they fit my 87 C10?

Parts Geek for 87 v30 Manual Windows Regulators

They look exactly like these which say they will fit my truck.

Other Seller

How tough is it to do the conversion? Should I expect to have to do any drilling, cutting or grinding?
Will parts come apart easy if there is rust?

Also, I was planning to dye the plastic door panels black (from dark blue) anyways. Any suggestion on what I can fill plastic holes with?

Thanks.

My 1987 C10 Short Bed (click on slideshow to see full album)

Last edited by cyberpine; 11-20-2009 at 09:21 AM.
cyberpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Converting to Manual windows

they look like the right part and as gar as i know you can interchange doors from the larger trucks to the smaller ones..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Damien

You will also need door panels and window cranks. You could probably cut a hole in the door panels you have now too, but it might not look very nice.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
HOGDADDY

That does look like the right manual window piece to me also.

I am doing this same swap from power to manual door. The hardest part is removing the power hardware and glass. You have to remove dam near every bolt on door and loosen vent window since door glass rides in the channel.

The screws on top of vent window are a pain to break really need impact screwdriver.

It will finally come out through the large hole in door.

You will also need to cap off the hole left by the power wires in door and don't forget to swap out your lock.

Might also need new weatherstripping also old stuff is probably brittle.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

That is a whole lot of work to do to convert them to manual windows & locks. Maybe we can diagnose your problem and make what you have work again.

What is wrong with your power windows & locks? Neither one functions? Does one side work and not the other?
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars

Last edited by 68 TT; 11-22-2009 at 10:44 AM.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The window regulators and locks are totally seperate systems, neither sharing anything but "Power"....I would look there first. It may be easier to repair what you have than to get into all of the swapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
cableguy0

if neither work im with longhair. i would bet its a simple wiring issue. a broken wire or bad ground etc. its highly unlikely for 2 window motors and 2 lock selenoids to be bad all at once. the parts to basically rebuild the electric setup would probably still be cheaper than trying to convert it over and going through the hassle and headache of working with door glass in a confined space. the first thing to do is check and make sure you dont have a blown fuse. then check for broken wires. the place where the wires comes from the cab into the door is the first place i would look. theres also a ground connector as well
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
85 c-10

I dont want to highjack this thread, but what can be done to make power windows run faster? I put new regulators in both doors, and the drivers window still wont work and the pass. side barely works. It takes a lot of pushing/pulling by hand to go. They are geting power b/c I can hear them groan for a sec. and my headlights dim ever so slightly when I hit the switch. I was going to look for a set of manual doors and cut the whole inner door out and weld into mine. Is there a better way?

Josh
85 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
Scootin 81 C20
3/4 Ton Rodder

I can think of an easier solution for switching to manual windows and locks...................change the doors to earlier, non-power ones.

1989 Chevy Silverado K2500: All Stock (For Now), 350 TBI/700R4. DD/Light Duty Toy.
Scootin 81 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85 c-10 View Post
I dont want to highjack this thread, but what can be done to make power windows run faster? I put new regulators in both doors, and the drivers window still wont work and the pass. side barely works. It takes a lot of pushing/pulling by hand to go. They are geting power b/c I can hear them groan for a sec. and my headlights dim ever so slightly when I hit the switch. I was going to look for a set of manual doors and cut the whole inner door out and weld into mine. Is there a better way?

Josh
The 77 truck power window door I pulled some parts from had all of the rollers rusted solid and the grease in the tracks was petrified. I bet you have the same problem. Add some functional rollers and clean/grease the tracks and it should work as good as new.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

I did the swap, it was well worth it
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
cableguy0

a little cleaning and grease in the roller and tracks and regulator makes all the difference in the world. also check the wiring. dimming the lights means its drawing hard on the electrical system so the motor is struggling.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
cyberpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingbig10 View Post
I did the swap, it was well worth it
At a high level what where your steps? Did you have to pull out your glass window? Big deal to remove motor? insert manual regulator? Got any pics?

Thanks.

My 1987 C10 Short Bed (click on slideshow to see full album)
cyberpine is offline   Reply With Quote