The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

fly wheel drill holes

my trany guy says he has never seen this and thinks it may have something to do with my vibration issue. i just thought it was how they balanced the fly wheel, didn’t think much of it. i have seen lots of things balanced like this.

have you guys seen this before?
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
71tahoe

Re: fly wheel drill holes

That doesn't look so odd to me. I do notice that the TC mount hole at the bottom doesn't look like the rest. Also, isn't the odd hole in the flywheel supposed to line up with the hole in the crank?

A new flywheel isn't that expensive and would at least eliminate that as a problem.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

huh? what hole on the crank?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
hchad18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
huh? what hole on the crank?
Should be a dowel on the crank shaft bolt flange so the flywheel/flex plate lines up the same every time the same.
hchad18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

so how can 71 see that? not sure what you are talking about. are you saying the flywheel is on wrong?
Old 11-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
71tahoe

I think it might be turned clockwise. I can see the external crank throw through the big hole by the drill holes. The alignment hole should be in the center of that. Also there's no dark shadow behind that odd hole in the flywheel.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchad18 View Post
Should be a dowel on the crank shaft bolt flange so the flywheel/flex plate lines up the same every time the same.
The only early Chevy cranks that have this are 400 and 454, because they are externally balanced. The harmonic balancer/dampener and the flywheel/flexplate are counter-weighted to compensate for the lack of internal weight. The others are internally balanced so the position of the flywheel/flexplate does not matter.

"In theory" a flywheel/flexplate for an internally balanced engine should have a "zero" balance, meaning that it would spin perfectly on it's own. If it is off for some reason, it could be corrected, but only to itself. It should never be part of the balance of the rest of the rotating assembly. This would make it un-useable for any other crank...but the worst part is replacing it if it should ever be damaged. The entire assembly would need to be re-balanced.

If you have a way to have that one checked w/o spending too much money, it might be worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i guess it doesnt matter, they are putting a new one on.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
68lwb292
Ex-Minitrucker

I think he was talking about the 4 holes at the 1 o'clock position that look like someone truies to balane the flywheel with a 1/2" drill bit.
68lwb292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
hchad18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
The only early Chevy cranks that have this are 400 and 454, because they are externally balanced. The harmonic balancer/dampener and the flywheel/flexplate are counter-weighted to compensate for the lack of internal weight. The others are internally balanced so the position of the flywheel/flexplate does not matter.

"In theory" a flywheel/flexplate for an internally balanced engine should have a "zero" balance, meaning that it would spin perfectly on it's own. If it is off for some reason, it could be corrected, but only to itself. It should never be part of the balance of the rest of the rotating assembly. This would make it un-useable for any other crank...but the worst part is replacing it if it should ever be damaged. The entire assembly would need to be re-balanced.

If you have a way to have that one checked w/o spending too much money, it might be worth a try.
Good info, thanks
hchad18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
WIDESIDE72

Was the engine a 350? I cannot understand why anu drilling would be required if it is... I found out the hard way that a new flywheel ( SFI if high RPM's are expected) is cheap insurance when doing any engine or tranny work.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

well i looked at the fly wheel they he took out. someone did drill it, i for sure doesnt look factory. this really shocks me, for being a low mile truck, that should not have ever had the trany out.

the condition of the trany, reason i rebuilt it, and the drilling on the flywheel, make me think at sometime, someone had the trany out. hum. seems to run much smoother now, but i have not had it on the highway.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #13
haysonj

On my 383 they balanced the crank with the flex plate and front pulley then marked everything with two lines to match up how to assemble it.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #14
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
well i looked at the fly wheel they he took out. someone did drill it, i for sure doesnt look factory. this really shocks me, for being a low mile truck, that should not have ever had the trany out.

the condition of the trany, reason i rebuilt it, and the drilling on the flywheel, make me think at sometime, someone had the trany out. hum. seems to run much smoother now, but i have not had it on the highway.
How do you know it's a low mileage truck? Do you have documentation to prove this? Without docs to prove this or knowing the truck from day one, I would never believe what the meter shows or someone told me.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:07 AM   #15
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchad18 View Post
I have about 5 small blocks around here and two big blocks plus one 250 six and one 292 six and none of them have a dowel pin.

Mtdave2 I have a half dozen Chev flex plates around here and some are drilled and some aren't.

Is there by chance a counter weight welded to the other side of the flexplate?
That would mean it was a 400 flexplate and would cause a vibration on a 350.
A good quality 350 flexplate is usually under 40 bucks at most parts houses so it might ease your mind to just go and buy a new one. Extra heavy duty ones seem to run a bit under 100 bucks ea.

t
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Mike, dave's truck was a genuine 20-something thousand mile (IIRC)truck when he got it. It spent it's life in a barn. He had sent me photos and the whole story probably 8 or 9 years ago. Assembly line stickers on the drums and everything.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Mike, dave's truck was a genuine 20-something thousand mile (IIRC)truck when he got it. It spent it's life in a barn. He had sent me photos and the whole story probably 8 or 9 years ago. Assembly line stickers on the drums and everything.
That's cool. Sounds like it was documented.

I just hate to hear when people buy a truck or car that the PO "claims" is xxx mileage when in fact they are leaving off the 1, 2 or 3 that should be the first number. Even worst when dealer do this crap. For me, I always assume when I see a 5 digit odo that there should be a 1 in front of it, unless I can see docs to prove otherwise.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

there is something odd with the trany.. perhaps the guy i bought it from did the ol trany switch-a-ro when he was going to sell it... not sure..

just one of those odd things you run into..