The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
LT-102

2 piece timing chain cover

Anyone using the 2 piece timing chain cover. If so are you satisfied, and what brand? I tried a Mr Gasket brand a few years ago on my 350 and it leaked like crazy. Almost like it was the wrong part or defective. I'm thinking about trying another one but I want to see what you guys think.
LT-102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:46 PM   #2
LT-102

I can't believe nobody is running one of these. Maybe I just posted this at the wrong time earlier.
LT-102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
Truckstr

HaHa!

Yeah, I'm running a two-piece timing cover - but it ain't "stock".

I bought one for my '67 about a month or so ago - an 'inexpensive' Summit unit. It looked really nice - in the box AND on the engine - UNTIL I bolted on the harmonic dampener. All of a sudden I found that I had interference with the dampener. Not much, but enough.

I solved the problem by doing some measuring and fabricating. I took an old timing cover that I had and cut the lip off of it with a Dremel and then smoothed it out and used a little sealer (I HATE too much sealer!).

I'd like to report that I have had no leaks and no interference problems since making this mod.

I was lucky in that I had used one of the one-piece Fel-Pro oil pan gaskets (see FAQs) that only requires a small amount of sealer at the front juction point of the timing cover/block/pan and the rear junction point of the pan/block/rear main cap. I went ahead and dropped the pan and cleaned the small amount of sealer, that I had put on, off.

If you plan on doing a two-piece cover go with a "name brand" piece such as Mr. Gasket, Comp Cams, or Edelbrock. If I had it to do over again, I would. Fewer headaches.

Good Luck!
Jeff

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote