The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
Anadrol

Remote Start on Carbureted Vehicle?

Can this be done? Or is it pointless because 9 times out of 10, when it's below 50 outside, you need to tap the accelerator to start even the best running carbureted trucks?

Is there a way to give the truck a remote choke of some sort?

I already ordered a security system that includes remote start, and even though that's a small part of the purchase, I'd like to get full functionality out of a $350+ security system if possible.
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: Remote Start on Carbureted Vehicle?

I wouldn't do it. Maybe that's because I knew a guy that had this feature and he would leave his stereo turned up and he treated it like a remote control boom box.

If you could make the remote start circuit activate a solenoid to pop the throttle open slightly and let the fast idle cam move, it could work. I know Q-Jet's if set up right are very easy starting. Edelbrock or Holley carbs seem to need a little foot intervention to start and stay running when cold.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
texasfunk

theres a solenoid used on some of the older cars that activate when the a/c is turned on to make the vehicke idle stronger, maybe that would work
1982 El Camino 350/350
1979 K5 2wd blazer bagged/bodied
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1991 Chevy CK SWB-67 clip and tailgate, bagged 350/700r4
1955 Chevy Bel Air
2014 Chevy Silverado ccsb
texasfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
SSC's76
No No

Yeah I had one on my firebird I took it out not a fan of them. They come with an option wire so you can activate a 12v solenoid. I had my idle air compensator hooked up sometimes it would get her on fast idle most of the time it would not. The trucks had what is called an anti diesel solenoid it has a little more travel then the idle air compensator it looks the same as the IAC. Its upto you they work and are easy to install my biggest issue was the fob with all the extra buttons, why have a button for power windows and power locks when you dont have either. lol
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Anadrol

The security system I'm getting has visual feedback on the key fob screen to tell you if the vehicle is running. In fact, it give you a vehicle temperature update every half hour.

I will have power locks and windows and all that, so the key fob will help. I guess I will install the remote start function and if it doesn't work, maybe take some measures later to make it work.

You said the truck idles faster with the A/C on? Does this mean I could just turn the heater on full blast before I shut the truck off, and there's a chance it would make the remote starter more accurate?

Either way, if it doesn't work every time, I will at least know because like I said, the key fob tells you if the truck is running or if the remote start failed. So I could be a mile away and make like 10 attempts if I wanted to. Even if it never works, who cares right?
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Mr.Scary
Project Optimus Prime

LOL!! u kno i always wondered tha same question if the remote start feture would work on carb vehicles, but i never asked. O' well i guess with a couple of mods it might huh. Cool!

"I said it b4 and i'll say it agian wiring is my worst enemy":devil:
Mr.Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
dropd80s

I had one on my 82 2WD K5. It worked fine. I allways thought about putting one of those solenoids on the carb to bump the throttle a hair for the fast idle cam to fall but it never needed it. Truck started like a champ.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote