The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
eric67m

Clutch throw out bearing?

Below is a picture of my clutch and pressure plate that came in my truck with a sm465 transmission. The second picture is of the throw out bearing that came in my truck (left) and what the auto parts stores show as the proper replacement on the right.

Which is the proper throw out bearing for the clutch in the picture? My old one rattles and I would like to replace it but not sure if I need to search for the long style one that was in my truck or the other shorter, more common replacement.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
hayhauler71

Re: Clutch throw out bearing?

I believe the one on the left is for a diaphragm style pressure plate and the one on the right is for a borg beck style.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
eric67m

So from what I gather...

Borg Beck is the three fingered pressure plate? = short bearing

Diapragm is the multi fingered pressure plate (like I have) = long bearing (like what was in there)

Why would both Schucks and Napa not show the longer style. Should I try to refrence from a different year, engine, transmission to find one?

Last edited by eric67m; 11-26-2009 at 02:00 PM.
eric67m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You need the long bearing. Trust me on this. I'm pulling the trans on my 63 tomorrow to change the bearing for exactly the same mistake. Timely question.

My local O Reilly shows choice of cone (short bearing) or flat (long bearing) pressure plates to choose the right bearing.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric67m View Post
So from what I gather...

Borg Beck is the three fingered pressure plate? = short bearing

Diapragm is the multi fingered pressure plate (like I have) = long bearing (like what was in there)
I think that's right, as the others have said. You can use any combination of pressure plates and throwout bearings you want, as long as the installed height to the fork slot in the bearing (from the flywheel surface) comes out to the same distance.

Quote:
Why would both Schucks and Napa not show the longer style. Should I try to refrence from a different year, engine, transmission to find one?
Not sure, but maybe the factory plate was a Borg & Beck, thus the catalogs show the short bearing. You might try looking one up for, say, a late '70s truck. The factory plate may have been switched to a diaphragm by then.

Diaphragms are slightly lighter duty and engage a little smoother. I see you're pretty close to the Seattle metro. Any good truck clutch and brake place in the city should be able to set you up with whatever you want.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

Chev. didn't use the finger type clutch since way back in the 30's except in the big trucks. The long brg goes with the original clutch back then with the flat dia. The short brg. goes with the bee-hive type clutch that was used from around the early 70's on, & most replacements.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
eric67m

Just to finish this thread. My old, tall bearing is a #CT1086H. Car quest cross referenced it to #1697-C. They are the same other than the bearing outer diameter is slightly smaller, but everything else is the same. I did not buy it because it cost $40, I am cheap and a new clutch, pressure plate and bearing cost ~ 100 at summit. When I replace it, it will be everything. Until then I live with a little rattle.

On another post it was said that the long bearings are for the multi fingered diaphragm clutch and the shorter one is for the bord beck style. This does not make sense to me being that most clutches that I have seen are diaphragm style and the parts stores are selling short styles?

I just wanted to include a few part numbers if it helped anyone in their own parts search.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Just to finish this thread. My old, tall bearing is a #CT1086H. Car quest cross referenced it to #1697-C. They are the same other than the bearing outer diameter is slightly smaller, but everything else is the same. I did not buy it because it cost $40, I am cheap and a new clutch, pressure plate and bearing cost ~ 100 at summit. When I replace it, it will be everything. Until then I live with a little rattle.

On another post it was said that the long bearings are for the multi fingered diaphragm clutch and the shorter one is for the bord beck style. This does not make sense to me being that most clutches that I have seen are diaphragm style and the parts stores are selling short styles?

I just wanted to include a few part numbers if it helped anyone in their own parts search.

Not to hijack your thread but I see in your siggy that old powered reel mowers are your other hobby. Have you ever seen one like this?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=353103

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-01-2009 at 12:55 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

To follow up on this. I bought a donor engine from another board member. I just removed the old engine and installed the new engine in my 63, clutch and all. Once I got the truck running, the truck wouldn't pull in gear. I finally figured out that the old clutch used a tall bearing and the new donor engine clutch needed a short bearing. The tall bearing was bottomed out keeping the clutch held disengaged. I just pulled the trans and swapped to the shorter bearing and problem solved.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
eric67m

No, I have never seen one like that before. But I have seen a newer McLane that is electric.

My Mower stable consist of....

reels

84 Mclane 3 hp briggs
80's Craftsman (like Mclane) converted to push (keeps a 2yr old happy)
pre 74 California trimmer HD 25", 5hp briggs
1966 Jacobsen Manor 21, 2 stroke

rotarys

1980 lawnboy 8401 commercial, 2 stroke
2008 John Deere LT135

I also recently got equipment for sharpening (reel and bedknife grinders).

Now, back to your regularly scheduled subject.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Another cheaper way to go is that the actual bearing part of the throwout is just pressed onto the sleeve. A couple of smacks with a hammer and they'll usually fall right off. You can then buy just the bearing and tap it onto your old sleeve and re-install. Seems like I remember that the bearing part is substantially cheaper than the whole throwout bearing assembly.

To get the long -vs- short bearing issue sorted out, you could have the parts store pull a clutch set off the shelf. They all come with a new throwout bearing, so whichever bearing is in the box will match whichever style of plate it is. A standard clutch will be a diaphragm (flat multi-fingered plate). They should also have a heavy duty one, which should be a Borg & Beck (the three-fingered plate).

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote