The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Rokcrln

LFD's 41 chevy Project "Fill-in"

Since we don't have a section for the real old stuff I figured I would post it here so any LFD fan can see some of my other work. I call this project Fill-in because it has been sitting in my shop for going on 2 yrs now because it was supposed to just be fill-in work to keep busy. It belongs to a friend of my wife's and I have been so busy with other work I never had a slow time to work on it for any good length of time. Well that time has come!

I finished my frame table a few months ago in preparation for this job (then my Tahoe next) so I would have a flat surface to work from. The table is leveled with a lazer and is with in 1/32" and the top of the table represents the ground so all measurements come off the top rail as 0'-0". I have the lazer set up for dead center as well so it makes getting things even real easy.

So far I have had the frame blasted then I boxed it in with 3/16" plate (these frames are very thin and flimsy) front to just behind the IRS unit. I installed a TCI tubular MII kit up front with Bags, Power Rack and a sway bar. Then out back I am we are doing a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII 8.8" IRS with aluminum center section and lower arms also on bags and the factory sway bar was able to be used as well. It has a pumped up 350/400 combo and the body is very strait and rust free. Our goal is to eliminate all frame flex and let the suspension do all the work like it should.

Today I started the tubular back bone of the chassis and I used 1 1/2" .095 and .120 wall tube. The top tube is flush with the top of the frame and the bottom tube is 3 1/2" below the lower rail so that way it is flush with the bottom of the running boards. This will help protect the fiber glass running boards and it also allows enough room for the air tanks and exhaust to run in the tube structure and frame rails. The clearance on the drive shaft is very tight but since it is an IRS I didn't need to worry about travel clearance.

Next I will install the poly tank in back and get my order list together for brake and fuel lines and the exhaust system. I hope to have the chassis in paint in about 2 weeks.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-04-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Re: LFD's 41 chevy Project "Fill-in"

Signing on for another Journey ..............

You are a Constant Inspiration, Just don't know how you can keep track of it all.......

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
Keith G

I am really looking forward to watching this one. I enjoy all of your builds.
Keith G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Subscribing also.
Nice looking frame!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
caja_larga

looking foward to this build.
caja_larga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Rokcrln

Just ordered a mess of exhaust, brake and fuel line parts from Summit should be here 2pm tomorrow

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Looking forward to this one coming to fruition!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

This ones going to be sweet!!!! Is that Lincoln IRS about the same as the the t-bird IRS you put in your ford pu?
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTR72GMC View Post
This ones going to be sweet!!!! Is that Lincoln IRS about the same as the the t-bird IRS you put in your ford pu?
Yes I think their is a 1-2" diff in width but don't remember how it went. Also the T-bird is a cast iron center and lowers with coil springs as the Mark VIII is aluminum and factory bagged so it is much simpler to add our style of bags to the Mark VIII.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Ackattack

are those 8.8 center sections in the ford IRS?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
sleepertruck72

Subscribed ! Definitely like the 41 already
Old 12-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
kdhs10

Subscribed!!!!
kdhs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
sgaylord
Project collector

Signing on.

2020 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax
2016 Harley Street Glide CVO

Roll Tide!
sgaylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
are those 8.8 center sections in the ford IRS?
Yes and no! The SHO and V8 t-birds came with 8.8's but others came with 7 somethings. The new Mustangs also have 8.8 in both straight axel and IRS. Navigators and such have 9. somethings. The T-bird and Mark VIII (and I think the IRS cobras) have a sub-frame that everything bolts to and it is held in with 4 bolts so it makes for a very easy trans plant. The lug pattern on the T and Mark are a funky metric pattern but I have a machine shop re-drill the hubs and rotors to a standard ford or chevy car pattern for about $75.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #15
Rokcrln

I like it when the Brown van shows up with presents. I only got about an hour or so of work on this today as I spent most of my day cleaning the yard and shop for a party we are having this weekend. But like I always say any progress is good progress.

So my summit order showed up today and I started by laying everything out so I could take inventory and figure out were I wanted to start. I figured the brake lines were as good a place as any.

One thing I did not know until tonight is the IRS is all metric on the brake lines so I had to cut off the factory nut and do a metric bubble flair just for that end of the line were it connects to the flex hose. All my other connections will be a double inverted flair with 3/16" tubing. I started by mounting the flex lines so they had plenty of room and clearance to still get full travel. I am using a drill tap for all my mounting to the frame with 1/4-20's. I have the rear lines done up to the 2 lbs residual psi valve. With the master mounted up on the fire wall you really do not need a res valve but it will make for a very nice firm pedal. It is not enough to drag the brakes but boy will they feel good. I also picked up a nice little adjusting proportioning valve that also has the brake switch built in. It has (2) lines in and (3) lines out, 2 front and 1 rear and it will be mounted down on the frame below the master so we can clean the firewall up as much as practical.

Also as you can see from the pic I ordered just a few mandrel "J" tubes so I can build the exhaust system around everything that will end up in the way. I will be using 2 SS flex joints to isolate engine movement from the rest of the system. This is one real nice thing about running a IRS is nothing moves so you can build the exhaust system real tight and solid. Summit sells some nice inexpensive hangers that isolate sound real well but but stop unwanted movement as well.

Now I need to find some good deals on (2) 2-3 gal air tanks before I can start the exhaust system because it will be sharing the same limited space.

Well more next week.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
Rokcrln

Well I have been filling in a few more items on the chassis. Yesterday I built the motor mounts, trans mount and started the exhaust. Today I finished the exhaust, pulled it out so I could weld it all up and coat the welds then back in it went. I ran the fuel line and finished up the gas tank mount as well. Next I will mount the Air tanks and order the drive shaft. Then before I pull it all down for final welding and painting I want to run the air comp wires, tail light wires, fuel sender wire and build the battery mount. This way it comes apart and falls back together after paint with less chance of a scratch.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The new steering column showed up today 67-72 truck auto tilt!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #17
Puropedo
Account Suspended

What is the overall lenght of the lincoln Mark VIII IRS? Also what is the total travel susp adj you are getting from it? Love this built thread!...
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
What is the overall lenght of the lincoln Mark VIII IRS? Also what is the total travel susp adj you are getting from it? Love this built thread!...
Over all length or width? I think we are getting about 8" of total travel. Here is a link to my other IRS install in my son's 51 F1.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-23-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Man that IRS is soooooo tempting to do on my blazer especially since I know where I can get a T-bird for free. I got to quit looking at this.......(But I can't)
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #20
88JRFAN
LET'S GO RACIN'

Out of curiousity, can you tell me how much the exhaust tubing cost? Is it comparable to having someone put custom exhaust on a truck? Thanks Kevin. Great work as always.

71 CHEVY 3/4 4X4 402 BB, th400/np205, dana44/eaton ho52 w/4:10-TOY

Rip El Jay
RIP BOBBO'S MOM
88JRFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #21
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88JRFAN View Post
Out of curiousity, can you tell me how much the exhaust tubing cost? Is it comparable to having someone put custom exhaust on a truck? Thanks Kevin. Great work as always.
With the SS V-bands and all tubing, mufflers and hangers it was about $600. That would be cheaper than custom exhaust in parts alone but then another 8hrs give or take in labor but it is good for 450hp, will not rust out or rattle. Some things on this chassis are over built for the current set up but the owner does not plan on selling only going bigger down the road.
Also depends on what you have built and by who. I have done headers in the 3-5K range for SS full lengths before so this set up was very cheap

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #22
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Over all length or width? I think we are getting about 8" of total travel. Here is a link to my other IRS install in my son's 51 F1.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Sorry, I meant the overall width of the IRS...Also, does the location of the residual valve placement really matters? Or does it have to be mounted closer to the brakes or to the master cylinder? Thanks for all your info...

Last edited by Puropedo; 12-24-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:24 AM   #23
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Sorry, I meant the overall width of the IRS...Also, does the location of the residual valve placement really matters? Or does it have to be mounted closer to the brakes or to the master cylinder? Thanks for all your info...
I will need to through a tape on the rear to see how wide it is. I have another unit sitting in the shop for another project so I will do it this weekend. I am using the residual valve just to maintain a better pedal feel and not for back flow. For back flow as in an under floor master I like it as close to the master as you can get. On this truck it will be right off the proportioning valve that is mounted on the frame.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
88JRFAN
LET'S GO RACIN'

Thanks Kevin.

71 CHEVY 3/4 4X4 402 BB, th400/np205, dana44/eaton ho52 w/4:10-TOY

Rip El Jay
RIP BOBBO'S MOM
88JRFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #25
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I will need to through a tape on the rear to see how wide it is. I have another unit sitting in the shop for another project so I will do it this weekend. I am using the residual valve just to maintain a better pedal feel and not for back flow. For back flow as in an under floor master I like it as close to the master as you can get. On this truck it will be right off the proportioning valve that is mounted on the frame.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Thanks, it seems those IRS units will become the next "camaro front clip" additions but for the rear of our projects, and you make them look so good when youre done with them complimenting them a bit further. Great job.