The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
im tha best

lots of questions!!

i have a lot of questions that arent really related to each other in any kinda of way but here i go...

1. i have a bad whine in first gear of my tranny (three speed) and i've replaced my gear oil last week and i thought that would help but it didnt inprove any, so i was wondering what i would have to do to make it stop. Rebuild it or what? and how much would you think i would have to spend on it? Also, it was converted from col. shift to floor shift and sometimes the shift rod either gets stuck and i cant move the shifter unless i almost break it and sometimes it just comes out of the clutch linkage altogether and leaves it in whatever gear it was in and just flops around without doing anything. then i have to get under the truck with a screwdriver and pop it back into place. how would i fix that problem?

2. How would i go about fixing my heater? it blows, not hot but not cold, air. its cold enough not to be a heater and its warm enough not to be AC. So how would i fix it so i can have heat and not freeze all winter long?

3. what gears could i put in my rear end to make it a little quicker without losing alot of mpg on the highway?

just to throw this in there, i put some thrush glass packs on it the other day and now it sounds so mean that sometimes i forget its a little sixbanger. i'll try and put a video and a picture of my exhaust up a little later.

thanks for the help!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: lots of questions!!

1. The trans noise probably will require a rebuild or replacement. Manual transmisions aren't at the top of my list of automotive thing that I really know a lot about so one of the experts will have to chime in and give some insite of what might be wrong.
Shifter, either not set up right, a junk shifter to begin with or it needs to be tightened up an adjusted.
When the trans is in neutral you should be able to move the shift lever side to side without binding up. The better shifters have a set of holes in the levers and body that you put a rod through ( usually about 3/16 or so to hold the levers in place while you adjust the linkage. The cheap ones didn't have that and you have to set them up by making sure that everything is lined up and set right.
As far as gears in the rear end it probably has pretty stiff gears now and anything lower will kill any higiway performance you have. Those sixes are very reliable in stock form but not warhorses by any means.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
im tha best

Re: lots of questions!!

yeaa i was thinking that that is what will need to be done.

its a hurst shift kit and it looks to be in pretty good shape. i was talking to a neighbor and he said that there are rubber grommets or something that go in the shift linkage holes that keeps the shifter rod with the little...i dont what to call them other than nobs...in place so they dont slip out and get stuck like they do. BUT i havent been able to find them anywhere and it doesnt make me too happy when i have to crawl under there when its pouring rain cause my truck wont shift.