The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2003, 08:03 PM   #1
bubbastrick

Question Good ignition box

I am in the market for an ignition box to use with my HEI setup. I would like to know what you guys have had success with, and what sucked. Also do these boxes really make a big difference over a stock HEI with an aftermarket module?

Thanks!

“Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge”
~E.J. Potter
bubbastrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
mikep
Used to have a truck

My personal opinion about MSD boxes is that they are made out of gold. Their conversion kit with coil for HEI's runs about 200 bucks. It eliminates your ignition module and lets you rev as hi as your motor will rev, it improves mileage, power and idle. Ive used them several times before and theyre a light year ahead of any stock or lightly modified HEI or points only system.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:45 PM   #3
RUDEDAWG

LOVING MY MSD!
ladderbar/coil rear with currie built ford 9'' rear, 4.11 gears
custom built rear frame
tubbed, 33/19.50/15 rear m/t.
m/t skinnies in front
still under construction
RUDEDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:12 PM   #4
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

If you can afford one, go with the MSD6 series. And if your engine is balanced, get the rev limiter. Huge difference in performance.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:18 PM   #5
stelth2002
Young Gun wth Fast Inline

I must say that I totally agree with the MSD. It really helps with everything. Although I think I have been having a few problems with mine latly.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:09 AM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

In fact even if you have a points setup the MSD will make it last practically forever. It takes the current load off the points and essentially turns them into a low current trigger. The gap no longer matters and neither does the dwell. You can turn the gap down as far as practical and even with a single points set rev reliably to 7000 RPM. That capacitive discharge setup of theirs is the way to go. Nothing like sending a 400 volt charge to the coil instead of 12 volts.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:49 AM   #7
gman

Mike,

So you feel that an MSD would significantly improve response in a point-driven system? I'm planning on going to HEI but if this would benefit my current system, I might spring for the MSD prior to the HEI. Any thoughts?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:54 AM   #8
jay6891
Car Knocker

I have been using a Jaccobs Electronics box for about 10 years and no problems. Works great with a stock HEI and module. Also has an anti-theft switch that will sut down ignition if not reset in 10 seconds. Won't restart for 10 min. if you forget. I am having problems after installing an aftermarket HEI though. Steves Speed shop in Little Rock on Geyer Springs sells parts. Know people with MSD also with no problems.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:32 PM   #9
bubbastrick

Thanks guys! I think the best thing for me to do right now is to replace the whole distributor and start from there. I feel that the advance mechanisms aren't working right because sometimes when I get ready to shut off the motor it is idled up like when you pull the distributor around to smooth out the idle, and most of the time it doesn't.
Also do you guys have any tricks for finding Top Dead Center with the heads on, because I think my balancer ring has spun thus the timing mark is not in the right spot?

“Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge”
~E.J. Potter
bubbastrick is offline   Reply With Quote