The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
ripdog28

Aftermarket heater question.

Does anyone make an underdash heater that is electrical and does not require hoses from the water neck.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
ripdog28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
69GMCLonghorn

Re: Aftermarket heater question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdog28 View Post
Does anyone make an underdash heater that is electrical and does not require hoses from the water neck.
I have to ask... why would you want to do this? Are you just trying to keep the engine compartment cleaner and hose-free? The heaters in these trucks are so simple, and so is the wiring... Why add something that will unnecessarily complicate things... So to be a pain, but I am curious what the goal is in doing this.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
ripdog28

I got rid of my A/C and Heater then smoothed the firewall. I would not mind 2 hoses running but if i could keep it to just a few wires then i will. I only want a small heater to defrost and for the really cold days. I would not use if but a few days a year.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

I was looking into this.

I bought a 72 without any of the heater or blower motor stuff under the dash, and well it gets cold here in Chicago. Instead of trying to find all the misc parts i need, i think i will eventually get something like what is in the link above. Its relatively cheap.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
suprachrgd82
Farmtruck desciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsRX View Post
I was looking into this.

I bought a 72 without any of the heater or blower motor stuff under the dash, and well it gets cold here in Chicago. Instead of trying to find all the misc parts i need, i think i will eventually get something like what is in the link above. Its relatively cheap.
From JC's item descritpion;
"Installation is a snap with several mounting options available. Hot water in the cooling system provides the necessary warmth using 140 CFM air flow and 12,000 BTU output. Quiet operation. Includes 3-way switch, wiring/hardware anf instructions. Order optional plenum (sold separately; SKU# ZX519991R) for defroster function."

I couldn't see how an electric heater of any nature would not overtax the charging system. Heaters draw a lot of current. Without upgrades to the charging system, it may be a choice between headlights or heat at given time.

Best bet is to rum the hoses and get a heater kit, rather than an electric heater.
suprachrgd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdog28 View Post
I got rid of my A/C and Heater then smoothed the firewall. I would not mind 2 hoses running but if i could keep it to just a few wires then i will. I only want a small heater to defrost and for the really cold days. I would not use if but a few days a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprachrgd82 View Post
From JC's item descritpion;
"Installation is a snap with several mounting options available. Hot water in the cooling system provides the necessary warmth using 140 CFM air flow and 12,000 BTU output. Quiet operation. Includes 3-way switch, wiring/hardware anf instructions. Order optional plenum (sold separately; SKU# ZX519991R) for defroster function."

I couldn't see how an electric heater of any nature would not overtax the charging system. Heaters draw a lot of current. Without upgrades to the charging system, it may be a choice between headlights or heat at given time.

Best bet is to rum the hoses and get a heater kit, rather than an electric heater.
Coolant heater VS electric heaters are going to be night and day difference.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
ripdog28

did not think about the electrical system being strained... I think ill go with the vintage air hidden one then. That Mojave one looks like an option also.

Last edited by ripdog28; 12-03-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
camaney

you know that they sell electrical heaters at harbor freith for less than $10.00 all you have to do is plug it on the ligther and they work ok for me
camaney is offline   Reply With Quote