The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
TwoFiftyShifter

'87 TBI - High idle and stick gas pedal?

Purchased a 1987 Scottsdale 20 this August and its my daily driver..... . Its a 350 TBI, and there is something wrong with the accelerator pedal. It is a little hard to press, for instance if I'm in creeper gear with the clutch out and no gas, i cant ease on the gas, I have to press hard and it lurches. Also, it idles high after a stint of being in gear, you go to stop and push in the clutch, it goes to 1800 or so rpm for about 3 seconds everytime. I was told that I need to clean the throttle body and that it would resolve both issues.... any input on this? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Desert1957

Re: '87 TBI - High idle and stick gas pedal?

I had this sticking problem with my "TBI" . Thought for sure it was a sticking throttle body plate , removed throttle body and installed a spare one. Same problem. It wound up being one small strand of cable was catching inside the throttle cable housing causing it to bind up when accelerating and a high idle speed.

Be advised when I first checked the cable by disconnecting it from the pedal and throttle body it felt fine. But when it was all reassembled it distorted internally.

New cable, Problem solved for me, anyway.....

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
I had this sticking problem with my "TBI" . Thought for sure it was a sticking throttle body plate , removed throttle body and installed a spare one. Same problem. It wound up being one small strand of cable was catching inside the throttle cable housing causing it to bind up when accelerating and a high idle speed.

Be advised when I first checked the cable by disconnecting it from the pedal and throttle body it felt fine. But when it was all reassembled it distorted internally.

New cable, Problem solved for me, anyway.....

Desert
^x2

I had a similar problem with the same cause.

Disconnect the cable from the throttle body and actuate the throttle with your hand. If it moves smoothly check how hard it is to move the gas pedal with it still disconnected from the throttle body. This will show you where the problem is.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Sgt Hollywood

As for the surging, does it do it while at idle if the engine is warmed up. I was getting something similar a while back. TBI gasket was bad, easy fix though.
Sgt Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote