The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
chicklin

Engine pinging?

I adjusted my valves last night and everything seems to be running fine. Took it for a test drive last night and it felt fine. Today, I noticed a ticking noise coming from the passenger side of the motor. I popped the hood and when I goose the throttle pretty good, it ticks from under that valve cover.

Now, the first thing I thought was I left one too loose. But, I did them all the exact same way and there's no noise from the other side and it runs just fine. Also, I'm pretty sure I have hydraulic lifters so you'd think if it was close it would pump up and be quiet.

The other thing I thought, though, is that a few nights ago I set the timing via vaccum gauge and ended up with it advanced to about 14 btdc. It's been running fine like that for several days, but is there a chance that by adjusting the valves that 14 btdc is too far advanced, now, and causing it to ping?

Also, I don't exactly know what pinging sounds like, but I've read it described as dumping BB's on sheet metal and that's exactly what it sounds like. Then again, that's kind of what a ticking lifter sounds like, too, isn't it?

What do you think?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Engine pinging?

each noise has a distinctive sound but only if you know what your listening for. if you adjusted valves and again have a rocker loose.i would be leaning toward your issue being a cam thats starting to wipe itself out. you need to roll the engine over by hand and watch all the valves open and close. pay close attention to the one thats loose.make sure its opening as far as the rest of the valves.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
LiveAnimals

Something similar happened to my buddies 71, we adjusted the valves all the same. There was a pinging comin from the pass valve cover. We just pulled the valve cover while it was running and tightened the number 8 rocker which happeded to be slightly loose at the time.

I do agree with cableguy, rotate the engine and make sure each lifter is going up and down. Its possible the cam could be goin flat.

I'm a Middle ClASS HOLE

07.5 Dodge 3500 CTD -- Daily
73 C10 Factory BB SWB 2WD
LiveAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
each noise has a distinctive sound but only if you know what your listening for. if you adjusted valves and again have a rocker loose.i would be leaning toward your issue being a cam thats starting to wipe itself out. you need to roll the engine over by hand and watch all the valves open and close. pay close attention to the one thats loose.make sure its opening as far as the rest of the valves.
Well, the thing is, they weren't loose to begin. At least not enough to make any noise. I was adjusting them to troubleshoot and exhaust noise issue but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I'm thinking either one is too loose or I need to retard my timing a little. When an engine pings, does it do it from both sides of the motor? Or is it one of those "it depends" situations?

Last edited by chicklin; 12-05-2009 at 10:57 PM.
chicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #5
chicklin

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I blocked off my EGR valve and plugged the vaccum line while I had it all apart. Maybe not such a good idea, I read that that could contribute to pinging. What say you?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #6
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklin View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I blocked off my EGR valve and plugged the vaccum line while I had it all apart. Maybe not such a good idea, I read that that could contribute to pinging. What say you?
Lack of "EGR" will cause this , your have 3 choices. Reinstall the EGR valve , retard the ignition timing a few degrees until the pinging stops , or buy premium fuel....

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
chicklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
Lack of "EGR" will cause this , your have 3 choices. Reinstall the EGR valve , retard the ignition timing a few degrees until the pinging stops , or buy premium fuel....

Desert
I think I'll put the EGR back on. It was just in the way and a pain in the butt, but as long as everything else is working properly, I don't mind having it on there.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
chicklin

EGR re-installed, noise gone

Thanks for all the help. Now, I know what pinging sounds like.