The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
72blue

Help! Windshield Seal Leaking

Well, this is a 72, everything is new; windshield, rubber, paint, etc. I am using the original trim though. I normally keep her inside and out of the weather, but she is at the body shop getting a fuel door installed and a few touch ups here and there and BAM, its gonna be a rainy week. I went down to see how the seal is holding up and sure as heck, a pool in the dash. I bought all my seals from Steele and the glass installer would not use any other seal but the ones he is familiar with (also so they can sell you a seal and make some more $)...I used theirs of course and now a leak. The installer says they will stand behind their work, but I am wondering if I should force them to use my Steele windshield seal or risk it with the seal they want to use. The installer also says that the 67-72 model of truck is hard to get to seal properly with trim, but if I had a 59 el camino, all of the sudden that would be hard to seal properly as well.
What brand do you guys recommend? Anyone have good luck with a particular company? I was told that Steele is one of the best. I am willing to not use the trim at all if it will help, however, these trucks came new with it and they didn't leak to my knowledge. Someone help and give me good advise please.
Here is a pic of one of the other things that is getting changed. Hope you guys like it.Name:  cowl during 2.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  34.6 KB
Thanks
James
Old 12-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Re: Help! Windshield Seal Leaking

make sure the installer puts a little dab of silicone in the corners.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
72blue

thanks Bill. I'm sure I'll watch him this time around.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

It shouldn't make a difference whether it has the trim or not. It still shouldn't leak. I used "Precision" brand rubber on the '71 4x4 with trim and I didn't have any problems.

Everything I have heard about Steele has been good.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Sammy

Precision has always been my preference for all my seal products. I have tried the other off-brands and they were not the quality. I agree the trim adds to the difficulty and can increase the chances of leaks. I also have encountered this even with the precision brand. And using a windshield adhesive in the corners is probally the best bet.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
turp mcspray

If you look in the factory assembly manual, they show how the factory used sealer to seal them when new. I always use some 3m Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound. Part #08509. I squirt it into the groove of the rubber that goes over the pinchweld. I have never had a leak doing it this way. I have found that unless the glass shop has an older guy working there, that has experiance with the older vehicles, all they know how to is glue in glass with urethane. If it were me, I'd find another glass guy.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
72blue

Thanks to LockDoc, Sammy, and Turp. Very good advice. I believe I am going to stick to the Steele seal, make sure some sealer is used, and see what happens. This time the glass shop is going to pressure sest the cab and make sure that there are no leaks. If they cannot hack it, I will have to take my business elsewhere. Thing is, I will not have my rubber seals back on the truck for a few weeks. I will let you all know what happens.

Thanks once more,
James