The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
CUSTOM_1O
HaV0KSR559<~~~

Question Big horses and bags

OK SO I HAVE A 3 5 DROP ON MY TRUCK WITH A PRETTY STRONG 350
I WOULD LOVED TO SWAP OUT THE MOTOR AND MAKE IT ALOT MORE BEEFIER OR JUST ADD MORE TO IT... AND I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO LAY FRAME AS WELL.. BUT MANY PEOPLE SAY ITS POINTLESS TO LAY THE FRAME IF I PLAN TO HAVE 500 PLUS HORSES BECAUSE I WONT BE ABLE TO PUT ALL THE POWER TO THE WHEELS AND WHAT NOT BUT I SEE ALOT OF PEOPLE GOING THE SAME ROUTE I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM PPL WHO ARE ALREADY IN THOSE STAGES WITH THERE BUILDS AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS AND IF YOU ACTUALLY ARE ABLE TO LAY IT ALL TO THE WHEELS AS I WOULD THINK YOU CAN

THANKS...
[COMPLETE-EDELBROCK]
[PERFORMANCE-SERIES]
[CAM_CARB_MANIFOLD]
...TURBO-400_TRANNY...
CUSTOM_1O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

Re: Big horses and bags

you wont be able to.

the suspensions needed to get the truck to hook up and to lay frame are completely different.

you can lay frame and have a fast truck but dont line up and stab thinking you are going to rip a wheely and hole shot the guy.
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
rickygee

id say if that's what you want then go for it. after all its yours.

There is a point though where form meets function.
Are you panning on driving the truck alot? Or is it going to be a fairground romper?

I was in a similar scenario with my build a few months back. i wanted the best of both worlds. i am not done but nearing completion. From the best i can tell my motor should be good for a good solid 550 Horse at my altitude which is almost 5000' it is bagged and is very low its got an off the shelf suspension with the shortest bump stops. even if i wanted to lay frame i would have to completely fabricate a set of headers. doable: yes, practical:???
the way the truck sits right now i am 6'0 and i could easily hand someone a beer over the roof of the truck. it sits good. I am running 295 tires and 3:73's on its best day i will not be able to put all the power to the ground and its not an "oh my god" motor. best of all if i pop a bag i can still limp it home because my headers are not digging into the ground.

sorry for going way off topic i just thought id point out some things that crossed my path when i was in a similar decision crossroads.

Last edited by rickygee; 12-08-2009 at 03:39 AM. Reason: forgot to dot the j's and cross the t's
rickygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
CUSTOM_1O
HaV0KSR559<~~~

fine by me every little bit of info helps and no i dnt want to drag the truck i would just like to be able to put the power down when i want to play with it from time to time...

its not that i would like to pop wheelies n wut not lol
i guess its just that im into both setups and trying to mold it into one with out bein disappointed in the end...

if its not too much id like to see sum pix
[COMPLETE-EDELBROCK]
[PERFORMANCE-SERIES]
[CAM_CARB_MANIFOLD]
...TURBO-400_TRANNY...
Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
big_al_71

You can lay frame like many do and have a serious motor but thats all is going to be, because of the traction factor. My truck has a serious motor, it has 295-40-20 in the rear and I shred my tires anywhere from a dead stop all the way up to 50 mph I cant stomp on it anywhere between those miles per hour. You sure can have both but you are going to have to put on smaller rims with much beefier tires something like street mickey thompsons or some M&H's.
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
au03z71

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
My truck has a serious motor, it has 295-40-20 in the rear and I shred my tires anywhere from a dead stop all the way up to 50 mph.
There's a lot to be said for being able to do that.
au03z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I would think that with a good 4 link set up and the PROPER shocks you can get it to hook as good or a bit better than a stock truck with the same motor... one thing you need to keep in mind it the weight and where you put it....it may not seem like much but keeping air tank and stuff behind the rear wheels will put the weight where it needs to be....there are a few guy who play at the track and they will be the best to jump in on this subject...I do know they are making some pretty sticky sneakers in larger rim sizes because of the kids drag racing there Jap stuff

I'm hoping to go the pro street look then find or build the right power to turn them

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
71tahoe

I think there should always be a safety factor of a bump stop to keep the frame off the ground.

Also, you should be able to get a ride height and suspension geometry to hook up a lot of horsepower.

How do drag racers get variable pre-load, AIR BAGS!
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
Ackattack

I'm planning on doing some drag racing with my truck when I'm finished. But, it does not lay frame, it's a few inches off the ground with the bags aired out. I'm using the stock trailing arms and 315/35/20s for the street, but will be running some ETstreets at the track on 15" rims.

Also, I moved the battery to the back and the gas tank is back there too.

I would with the right 4 link setup, correct adjustable shocks, and airbags you can get pretty close to your goal.

Last edited by Ackattack; 12-08-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
CUSTOM_1O
HaV0KSR559<~~~

Thanks for all the helpful information...

And so far everyones pretty much on the same page as i am...

But ive started to think that im better off
going with the beefier motor on the long bed i have here in the future for the track and maybe savin the custom bags and all the other good stuff that goes along with that for a shortbed later on in my years do to the weight the longbed would have and i think that would perform better on a track...

All tho im not really into draggin and what not
i know that with these trucks we will never b done and
we will always push these trucks to there limits and ive
kinda excepted the fact that ill most likely look into that

but thanks goes out to everyone and there time
with there info and i encourage more ppl to add there thoughts
[COMPLETE-EDELBROCK]
[PERFORMANCE-SERIES]
[CAM_CARB_MANIFOLD]
...TURBO-400_TRANNY...