The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
Anadrol

Restore my Classic or Pimp my Ride?

Here's the scenario.
I've got this '78 truck, and my whole purpose behind buying was to own the funnest vehicle imaginable and to enjoy the process of building said vehicle.

Well, I am now at the point where I would call my truck a clean slate. It's got a great body on a solid, rust-free frame. The lift kit is complete and awesome. The motor is updated, brand new carb, running strong, and dependable. All of the electronics work, along with the heat and A/C. Bed is Rhino'd with new rail caps and a nice Weatherguard box- the one I always wanted.

The main initial priority-one mods are complete:
1. Power Locks (so that I could have a security system)

2. Power Windows (because if you're already doing power locks, why not do power windows while you're in there)

3. Security System + (so that i could have expensive electronics inside the truck) Keyless Entry + Remote Start

4. Sound Deadening throughout the cab (because I felt like there was no point in shelling out a ton of stereo upgrade time and money if the cab wasn't properly sound deadened, and i also didn't want to begin any interior upholstery, dash, trim, or carpet upgrades/projects, without doing the sound deadening project first, because it involves gutting the truck down to the bare bones, and you'd rather not have to do that a bunch of times.

If you've read this far, then you understand why I feel like I'm at the Clean Slate stage of re-doing a truck.

So here's my issue.
Whatever i do from here on must go in a certain, guided direction with an end goal in mind, and I cannot decide which way to go,

A: Modernize the truck with new amenities and a very contemporary style that incorporates the coolest toys and modern electronics, luxuries, and lots of "wow" factor. The biggest part of this direction would be that I would build a totally new fiberglass dash, incorporate all the electronics along the way, and match the rest of the truck to that dash.

B: Restore the truck, while keeping the year 1978 at the top of the priority list, and aiming to create the nicest, cleanest, most impressive 1978 K10 that I can possibly produce. Any new toys or add-ons would be planned so that they do very little, if anything to detract from the classic '78 styling.

Right now, I'm leaning towards option B, and here's why- 20 years from now, what is more desirable?

A. To have a sweet, 20 year old truck that was totally customized by me back in 2010, and has the coolest electronics and funnest car toys available then, along with whatever updates that have been done along the way during the last 20 years, but it's still a frankenstein of sorts

or

B. To have a 1978 Chevy (a 50 year old vehicle model by that time) in excellent condition with every single little detail and part in pristine shape, installed perfectly and without scratches.
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: Restore my Classic or Pimp my Ride?

Plan "B"
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
BIG10

There is nothing wrong with a good mix of both, although I understand wanting a plan to stick with. I think you could make a nice truck with modern amenties that doesn't detract too much from 78 styling. For example, you could use stock power door panels and switches for the windows and locks, but also throw some Dakota Digital gauges in there for a modern twist.

Also, if you actually keep this truck for twenty years, you'll change your mind about things every time trends change or something new comes out. My truck has been in the family for thirty years, but it's been painted twice, three different seats, a camper shell for a while, a tonneau cover now, two different rear bumpers, several stereos, two motors, two trannys, two rear ends, three or four different grilles, etc. That's what is so fun about these trucks.

However, if I HAD to answer your question and could only pick A or B. . . hmmm. . . I think I would pick B. That would probably make it more valuable to a collector twenty years from now. BTW, I hope to be that collector twenty years from now.

1978 Big 10 Silverado, 355 + 700R4 + 3.42 + factory tach + A/C + dual tanks + working cruise control = awesome highway cruiser.
BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

I agree with big 10 in every way. Make it stock to the un trained eye. But have it modern in others. But if I had to choose, I say B.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
ghettoluxury

This is the same place that I am at. I have started my RHD conversion and wanted to make it appear as if it was a factory option but would also like to add a center console and buckets. So I am leaning more to a custom fiberglass dash and console. Decisions! Decisions!

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

Quote:
Classic or Pimp my Ride?
so you want the worst body and paitn work to ever come out of a shop and 24 screens?
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

I'm with the majority, plan B. I just finished mine and with the exception of some serious running board\belly pan and a 4000 pound Warn winch, it's box stock. The paint job isn't stock either, but paint doesn't really count does it? jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
cjracing15

Plan B
1977 SWB stepside
1949 Chevy truck
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Anadrol

I think you all can tell that I'm already leaning strongly towards plan B, but I really just needed logic and reasoning beyond my own head for why to go that way.
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
BIG10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrol View Post
I think you all can tell that I'm already leaning strongly towards plan B, but I really just needed logic and reasoning beyond my own head for why to go that way.
That's why we're here.

1978 Big 10 Silverado, 355 + 700R4 + 3.42 + factory tach + A/C + dual tanks + working cruise control = awesome highway cruiser.
BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If your really planning on keeping this truck, go with plan B. Custom trends come and go, but a clean resto-mod won't go out of style.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
longbedrick

I say you have multiple square bodies with different genres. for example, 2wd/4wd, LWB/SWB/Stepside, stock/modified. It would be like your own collection. Between my dad and I, we have a modest stable of Chevy/GMC trucks from 1964-2006. We are in love with GM's truck/El Camino line. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
longbedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Plan B for sure. I have the most fun driving my 51 (59 years old) and the only thing upgraded is the motor (235 out of a 59) and the wheels. Everything else works and is in excellent shape. It'll run the speed limit, and hasnt cost me a fortune to maintain. What ever you do, build it so you can enjoy it, if you cant do that, sell it.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #14
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If your really planning on keeping this truck, go with plan B. Custom trends come and go, but a clean resto-mod won't go out of style.
Ken said it exactly the way I would have!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote