The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away
How to big block

Hey everyone this is my first post and am new to the site. I currently have a 66 suburban disc braked and lowered, a 66 LWB lowered ( waiting for disc brakes ) and a 65 LWB disc braked and lowered all 3 are in progress so I hope you can give me some tech support.This site rocks and I have been reading all the posts and information and I wish I would have found it along time ago ....anyway....The suburban is about to recieve a 454 and I am wondering what kind of issues I will encounter going from a small block to a big block space wise and changes I will have to make?.....My next question is I am also massing all the parts to do 3 power steering conversions all at the same time or one after the other. I have read some of the older threads on how to do the swap but I am wondering if anyone has more words of wisdom or can point me in the direction of " power steering conversion for dummies " is it really as easy as some of the threads make it look ?....Thanks everyone
wutnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
steverino66

Re: How to big block

You can use the whole front crossmember from 73-87 truck which will get the power setup for steering/brakes. I used crossmember from an 83, had to enlarge 2 holes and re-drill 2 more out of 14 mount bolts. Steering linkage mounts differently also. Take pics before removing from original truck if you go this route.
You'll need an adapter for steering box to frame, they're available on this site and on eBay. I've read if you buy headers for same year truck, you can use the 73-87 V8 motor mounts; on my 454, I had to hunt down mount towers for 71 or 2 because I bought those headers first; the right side will fit using the small block towers but the driver's side is too tight (#1 tube won't clear).
Good luck.
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

Hey thanks for the help and suggestions.Hower because I already have drop spindles and drop coils and disc brakes I am leaning to doing the conversion with the original front cross member for the swap and convert the original set up over to power steering
Old 12-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Wildstreak
"something witty here"

captnfab has some deals right now that would help along the ways of power steering, he has a power steering box adapter. I think thats all you really need other than the steering box and pump of coarse.
heres a link for that and some other goodies
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=375640
71 burb 2wd: 350 4spd
71 lwb fleetside 4x4: 350/sm465/205/3.07 eaton posi rear
72 lwb fleetside Cheyenne 454/th400
1991 GMC V3500 CC 4x4
Wildstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Captain Fab has the steering box to frame adapter plates- he does good work.
another link
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=263983

Last edited by DPowers; 12-21-2009 at 03:58 PM.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
NF65Fleetside

Welcome to the board, tons of great guys on here and a lot of useful threads for builds.
I did a 454 swap last year into my old 65'. The current one is more than likely going to get the same treatment. Heres the run down for your questions.

Power Steering: As stated above 73' and up trucks can be used for their power steering pumps and steering coloms too. If you want to upgrad to tilt steering and all that then just swap over the whole steering unit including the colom, gearbox, and pump. Otherwise you will take just the gearbox and pump but need the adaptor for the steering linkage. Only modification need other than adaptor is to enlongate a couple holes at the frame for gearbox alignment.

454 swap: This is pretty much a bold in affair. The trick though is you need the 73-up v8 monts, doesnt matter if they are sbc or bbc. Firewall and frame rail clearance is there. depending if you have a long or short water pump youll range from 1" to 3" clearance of the radiator. For headers you can run full length and just to be safe only notch the frame rail about 1/4" at the #1 primary, I suggest this only for torque shift of the motor, it will fit without but give you like only playing card gap. I used these.... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9011/ . Lastly depending on trans you are mounting will dictate xmember placement and drive shaft length. So minor adjustments for an awesome upgrade.

I honestly would just stick with a bone stock setup other than basic bolt-ons ie. headers, exhaust, intake and carb. Anything more you might as well have an endless wallet or start setting up suspension for street/strip use. A stock big block has more than enough power and torque to keep you smiling and gas mileage is still doable at normal daily driving. In the short time I had mine I was able to have a lil fun at the lights....nothing saw me other than a c5 corvette. GT ponys, camaros, and even a Lightning were cake walks. Any more questions feel free to ask, post up some pics of your rides!!
NF65Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
wutnxt

Hey everyone thanks for all the help it's great to get so much help in such a short period of time.....sounds like the 454 swap is a go if it is that easy.....and i will look at making the first power steering swap at the same time. My plan will be too pull the old small block out....do the power steering swap out .....then the big block swap. So many ways to do the power steering conversion and I just hope I choose the right way out of the box so to speak....and ya i will post pictures of all my fine junk...soon
Old 12-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would suggest the '73 and newer motor mounts as well. The frame brackets from a '73 and up C20 will work better in these older trucks as the frames are closer in height than the '73 and up C10's. The '68-'71 big block brackets and mounts will work as well as the one year only '72 mounts. However they are typically $150-$200 for a setup. Plus from what I've read the motor mounts themselves for the '68-'71 aren't available new. So you would be stuck with finding good used ones.

The long tube headers for the '73 and up will work just fine unless you're laying frame or super low. You will also need to trim the top flange of the frame for the big block clearance. If you can find a '68 and newer frame, or complete truck, you will see what I mean if you compare them.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 12-22-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:40 AM   #9
NF65Fleetside

Heres a lil inspiration....
This kit is everything you need if you cant find used mounts and or just want new parts. Drivers side top rail will need to be notched .5" inch for these perches since the flanges are pretty wide...still bolt in stock location though. I bought new trans xmember and mount for good measure. Cheapest spot is Truck/Car shop.

sitting flush....

Passenger side clearance...

Drivers side clearance, notice the slight notching not much at all...

Radiator clearance...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
Chevy Fleetside

Here is the hard way to do it. I had to set my engine back though. You don't have too. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259536

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536

Last edited by Chevy Fleetside; 12-22-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
NF65Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
Here is the hard way to do it. I had to set my engine back though. You don't have too. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259536
Yours isnt the hard way, its just some finesse due to a few different things you were running. First off you have TBI intake, Second your running serpentine AND AC, Lastly your headers are larger than the ones I ran. So I say your build thread is dead on too, because youve tackled everything needed for clearance of all the more modern accessories and power goodies.
My swap info is for a light budget and a basic no frills motor. Cant wait to see your truck on the road with you and your boy cruise'n. Im right behind you with another 454.....hehehehe, they are addictive.