The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Anadrol

Wrangler Lights + Upgraded Bulbs = Brighter?

Hello.

My headlights on my '78 are
A) not very bright
B) Too high off the ground, so they just disappear into the darkness instead of bouncing off the road
C) The Passenger side bulb is out.

I want to swap them out and basically spare no expense to give myself the brightest, baddest headlights possible.

After doing a search, posting a few questions, and researching, I figure that step one is to do the 2008 Wrangler headlight swap mod.

I need the following parts:

PART - MOPAR PART NO.
RIGHT Lamp - 55078148AB

LEFT Lamp- 55078149AB (doesn't really matter if I buy right & left, so I'll get 2 of the cheaper ones)

Pigtails - 1-68018959AA

Then, I want to get an HID conversion kit to switch those lights over to HID. My question regarding that is,

1. What's the best/brightest brand or make of kit?
2. What color temperature should I choose for maximum visibility at night?
3. Can I get projector HID? Like the kind with the severe "cut off" where the light ends?

I'm looking for the brightest lights I can possibly buy. I don't care if they're illegal because this truck is rarely on public roads and it's even rarer that it would be on public roads at night. I want the high beams to turn on WITH the low beams so that when I turn on my bright lights, it's literally double the output (if possible).

Does my logic all make sense? Any ideas on brands or manufacturers or vendors?

Last edited by Anadrol; 12-21-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
87Bob

Re: Wrangler Lights + Upgraded Bulbs = Brighter?

I'd like to see your results when you get them done. I'm in Indy as well.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

all im going to say is that rarely is NOT the same as never and its really bad to have someone with lights that bright behind you as well as dangerous..You blind the guy ahead of you and he goes off the road or something..I would hope that Indiana has strict dazzling headlights laws that are well enforced. Also what you are asking to do as far as making the lights that bright inpoerable hi beams is illegal and against forum rules.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

For starters, the best bang for your buck it to add two relays so that you are sending power to the lights straight from the batteries. Keep in mind that right now, power to the lights runs from the battery, to a d-block on the firewall, through the bulkhead connector, to the switch, then to the dimmer switch, back through the bulkhead connector, THEN finally to the lights. There is a ton of voltage lost in all those connections.

I added relays to my 85 (with a 91 Suburban grill & dual headlights) by running a large gauge power wire from the d-block on the firewall to a pair of relays. I took the wires that originally ran to the headlights, and ran them to the relays to use as the trigger wire that turned the relays on. That mod alone made them much brighter than any new vehicle I have owned. It also prevents the possibility of overloading the old 1985 headlight switch, which can result in the switch melting down. I added a full 3 volts at the lights just by doing this.

I also added a blocking diode between the two relays, so when I click on the high beams, power gets kicked back to the low beam relay and turns them on as well.

Doing this is far cheaper than swapping in the Chrysler stuff. While they may or may not be as bright as some of the new cars with the blue colored headlights that can freaking melt your eyes, they still outshine my 02 GMC!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 12-22-2009 at 11:08 AM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Anadrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
all im going to say is that rarely is NOT the same as never and its really bad to have someone with lights that bright behind you as well as dangerous..You blind the guy ahead of you and he goes off the road or something..I would hope that Indiana has strict dazzling headlights laws that are well enforced. Also what you are asking to do as far as making the lights that bright inpoerable hi beams is illegal and against forum rules.
There are tons of reasons that our trucks are illegal, man. Maybe your bumper is too high or your frame is too low, or your emissions are inappropriate or you have no catalytic converter, or your stereo violates the noise ordinance.

I'm no different than everyone else. I'm souping up an old truck to make it excessive and fun. If this were my daily driver, I wouldn't do half the things I'm doing.

If you think I'm trying to hurt someone, or even annoy someone with the features of my truck, you're way off base. This truck runs around my family's farm, and it will go to shows. That's about it. Trust me, I'm not trying to get pulled over for headlight violations.

Last edited by Anadrol; 12-22-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Maybe 1% of the trucks on here are completely legal according to their various state statutes, so this is not an issue.

If you do nothing else, do the relay power mod I posted. You will be throwing good money after bad if you upgrade to some super dooper bright bulbs and still power them through the switch. And if you spend 5 minutes at the bone yard looking for relays, it will cost nothing. No yard around here would charge for a couple of relays.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Well, for me. I put silver stars on my stock truck. The difference between stock and silvers were insane. If you did the relay and wrangler with silver stars. I think you might be happy. But if your not, you could put some trail lights on. that would look awesome on your truck.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79gmcc15 View Post
Well, for me. I put silver stars on my stock truck. The difference between stock and silvers were insane. If you did the relay and wrangler with silver stars. I think you might be happy. But if your not, you could put some trail lights on. that would look awesome on your truck.
x2 on the silverstars. I have them on my '78.

Another thing that will help is to get the upgraded alternator (assuming you still have the stock 1978 "63 AMP"). I got a "78 AMP" on mine and it fixed it up and now the lights stay bright and the volt gauge needle doesn't move around when I stop at a red light. I went up to the parts store and got a 78 amp alternator off of an '83 c10 with a 350. it's a bolt in swap and for the money you'll get a 12si alternator instead of the old 10si that came in 78.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 12-22-2009 at 03:25 PM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
CHEESE
The Cheesiest

The jeep lamps are a great idea! They come with factory bulbs and will be brighter than your factory lamps. Try them out before you change the bulbs. After all of my research, i 2nd the relay mod.!
CHEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

pardon me but whats the big deal about jeep lights?? and couldn't you snag parts from a junk yard??

I have contiplated the siver stars are they really worth the $$$
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
CHEESE
The Cheesiest

Jeep lamps have a crystal clear convex face and look great!
CHEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
ghettoluxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
pardon me but whats the big deal about jeep lights?? and couldn't you snag parts from a junk yard??

I have contiplated the siver stars are they really worth the $$$
Every Penny!

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE View Post
Jeep lamps have a crystal clear convex face and look great!
I don't want to sound smart or anything but we use them all the time on street rods and the bulbs are plug and play H4's ( from speedway I think) with a silver star up grade I would think they would be killer.....you could get the best of both??? hell you can even get them with the tri bar or what ever they make a half dozen dif styles??

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...ghts,4407.html

heres a kit to put in HID's?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/7-Inch...ight,2326.html

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Silence86

might as well just buy a housing for an h4 conversion and then buy hids...that just my opinion, my friend had them in his 78 and i have them on my 86.

hids..

xtremehids.com

housing..

http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.asp...&partid=402175
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
qu1cks1lver56

Check out futurevisionhid.com for HID's. Probably the highest quality HID kits on the web.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Here we go with the head light debate again.

Relay-
No matter what light's you run in your truck, the relay update glock35ipsc covers is VERY beneficial. As he mentions, the flow path is horrible from the factory when it was new. Even if your running stock head lights this is an excellent upgrade.

Silverstars-

There are other brands out there, but it's hard to beat the quality of Osram/Sylvania Silverstars lights. These lights are premium quality for a decent price. This is an economical upgrade that is well worth the money spent. Before you purchase them, always check their website for discount coupons- LINK

Jeep Wrangler-
The Jeep Wrangler light is a good way to add contemporary designed lighting to our generation of trucks. The conversion gives you the latest in OEM designed lighting. Once the conversion is done, it allows you to replace or upgrade the bulb rather than replace the entire sealed beam.

HIDS-
I have yet to see a true HID conversion for our trucks that was affordable. Russell is the resident expert on HIDs, so I will save that area for him to cover.

I think anyone that sets their lighting system up to be excessive, or illegal is asking for trouble. You may not get hassled by the LEO's but the reaction from other motorist might be more than just a friendly wave. I have actually had people swerve at me because they think the lights in my 06 Silverado are on bright when they weren't.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #17
Anadrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
HIDS-
I have yet to see a true HID conversion for our trucks that was affordable. Russell is the resident expert on HIDs, so I will save that area for him to cover.
OK, I understand that this setup is expensive, but can someone please post/explain a true HID kit PERIOD? (I don't care if it's affordable).

So far, I have seen such a huge price discrepancy that i feel like I'm not understanding what to look for in the first place. One site might have 2 headlights for $600, while another site advertises "true plug n play HID conversion" for only $200.

Can someone just answer this-
1. How can I get HID Projectors inside the stock size 7" diameter round housing so that I get the ultra bright, precise beam pattern of HID, but the bulbs look stock to the untrained eye?

2. If I just want to mount a couple HID projectors in my front bumper (hole saw out 2 holes and have circular round lights peeping through the holes) what brand/site can I trust to buy quality HID projector fog lights?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #18
CMCustoms

Check out www.ddmtuning.com for HID kits great price and lifetime warranty and www.3bspecialties.com for relay wiring harness.
CMCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:15 AM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrol View Post
Can someone just answer this-
1. How can I get HID Projectors inside the stock size 7" diameter round housing so that I get the ultra bright, precise beam pattern of HID, but the bulbs look stock to the untrained eye??
You can't. It's impossible because "true" HID is not just a bulb, ballast, and harness. To get the true results of an HID you have to have a housing and lense that was designed specifically for HID.

Do some research on the subject to understand what I mean, but a brief explanation is projection vs reflective. It's two entirely different systems of light housings and lenses.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:23 AM   #20
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Good thread here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=318973

Look at the very last post... this is what projectors would look like, though the poster says the particular ones he got suck...

The silverstars will put out the same light weather they are in a 78 chevy truck or in a 2009 silverado... my 7" silverstars aren't true (for lack of a better term) sealed beams.... inside the headlight is another bulb like the changeable h4's. I cracked one one time, and it kept right on working.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 12-23-2009 at 01:29 AM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #21
Silence86

i have a ballast and bulb i got mine from xtremehids.com

it was like 64 buck with shipping. its an h4 bulb i can post pics if you want. i got the housing for like 40 bucks.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #22
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

pic please
Old 12-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #23
Silence86

ok.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
Silence86

i know they run on high beams, but its only the 35 watt ballast not the 55 watt
Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #25
Adams74Chevy

Any particular models year ranges to get the relays off of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
For starters, the best bang for your buck it to add two relays so that you are sending power to the lights straight from the batteries. Keep in mind that right now, power to the lights runs from the battery, to a d-block on the firewall, through the bulkhead connector, to the switch, then to the dimmer switch, back through the bulkhead connector, THEN finally to the lights. There is a ton of voltage lost in all those connections.

I added relays to my 85 (with a 91 Suburban grill & dual headlights) by running a large gauge power wire from the d-block on the firewall to a pair of relays. I took the wires that originally ran to the headlights, and ran them to the relays to use as the trigger wire that turned the relays on. That mod alone made them much brighter than any new vehicle I have owned. It also prevents the possibility of overloading the old 1985 headlight switch, which can result in the switch melting down. I added a full 3 volts at the lights just by doing this.

I also added a blocking diode between the two relays, so when I click on the high beams, power gets kicked back to the low beam relay and turns them on as well.

Doing this is far cheaper than swapping in the Chrysler stuff. While they may or may not be as bright as some of the new cars with the blue colored headlights that can freaking melt your eyes, they still outshine my 02 GMC!

1987 V20 Custom Deluxe 350 TH400 NP208 "farm truck" getting parted out.
2016 Nissan Altima grocery getter/commuter
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote