The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
panic66

72 lwb air bag questions?

Hello all! I've read through pages and pages of air bag options but i just had a few questions i wasnt clear on. I want to run air bags all the way around, im not trying to lay frame, just get pretty low and have a real nice smooth ride. From what i read this is what i came up with

4 d2600 air bags

front upper bracket and lower cup from suicide doors
http://www.*****************/bag-brac...-port-brackets

Bolt in c-notch from suicide doors
http://www.*****************/notches/bolt-c-notch-kit

of course everything depends on cash, so if the money is there i will be doing an air management system at the same time, if not it will come a little later. This will be our upcoming spring/summer project, i would also like to take care of big disc brake conversion at the same time but like i said it depends on the cash flow.

Ok now for my main questions,

My uncle installed tublar lower control arms back in the late 80's early 90's these control arms actually have a circular "cup" in them. so my question is do i need the lower cups? Also if i do need the cups the just sit on the lower arm you dont bolt them down?

Here is some pictures of the lower arm, sorry for the bad cell phone pics.

Also i read that these bags have a internal bump stop, do i need external bump stomps?

Here is some pictures of my 72

Thank you for taking the time to read and for any suggestions.
panic66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: 72 lwb air bag questions?

your going to have to measure the diameter of the cup most bags need 8" but even if it wasn't you could grind of the welds to that cup weld in a piece of 8" pipe and be done..you would still need to buy the top plate .......I will sat because of the bag placement your going to get a nice drop as a freebie

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Shane
Account Suspended

pretty sure that C-notch will not work with a 67-72 style frame ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
kev2809
low n' slo

^^^^nope. suicidedoors doesnt have a notch for us 67-72 guys.

to answer your cup questions, yes they just sit there. you can bolt them down if you want, but most dont. imo, i would do what hottrucks said about your lower control arms. get some 8-8.5" cups, cut out the lca and weld the cups in and plate the bottom. you can still use the top bag mount.

do you have any pics of those lca's? i havent seen any that come with cups like that.

oh, and dont forget about the air management besides the bags and plates.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]

Last edited by kev2809; 12-22-2009 at 09:43 PM.
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
panic66

Thanks for the replies! Can anyone point me in the direction of a bolt on c notch for my 72? I've read ccp makes one? And I'll try to get some better pics of that lower arm...... I know it's a old kit cause my uncle installed in the early 90s I believe
Old 12-23-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by panic66 View Post
Thanks for the replies! Can anyone point me in the direction of a bolt on c notch for my 72? I've read ccp makes one? And I'll try to get some better pics of that lower arm...... I know it's a old kit cause my uncle installed in the early 90s I believe
CPP
McGauhy
POL (performance on line)
ECE

The lower control arms look like old 'dropped' arms from one of several manufacturers... DJM, SoLow, or Chisolms. You could cut them up & put the plates/cups as suggested.

Be careful though.... It was a set of those lower arms that hung on a manhole cover & destroyed my old roomates ultra clean 65 short fleet (BBW, original patina white paint, etc...). Bent the frame to the point it looked like a cartoon drawing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
panic66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
CPP
McGauhy
POL (performance on line)
ECE

The lower control arms look like old 'dropped' arms from one of several manufacturers... DJM, SoLow, or Chisolms. You could cut them up & put the plates/cups as suggested.

Be careful though.... It was a set of those lower arms that hung on a manhole cover & destroyed my old roomates ultra clean 65 short fleet (BBW, original patina white paint, etc...). Bent the frame to the point it looked like a cartoon drawing.
Thx for the reply and info! i think santa is bringing e the cpp c notch for christmas!!!!

ok one more question guys, i notice most people run an eight valve air management system do you need dual port bags to run eight valves? and which do yall reccomend single port or dual?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
Shane
Account Suspended

mention the Custom Classic Trucks magazine ad when ordering and you'll get the CPP notch for $99 plus shipping.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Thx for the reply and info! i think santa is bringing e the cpp c notch for christmas!!!!

ok one more question guys, i notice most people run an eight valve air management system do you need dual port bags to run eight valves? and which do yall reccomend single port or dual?
Eight valves are for independent control of air-in & air-out on each corner. No need for dual port bags unless you're trying to get full lift instantly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Back to the control arms - you can't use them as is. You either need to plate them or switch to some stockers. As they are they are going to drag on everything if you try to put a bag in there, no matter how you do it.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
panic66

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
Back to the control arms - you can't use them as is. You either need to plate them or switch to some stockers. As they are they are going to drag on everything if you try to put a bag in there, no matter how you do it.

alright, alright, alright! (nice avi) ok so basically i need to cut this hub that hangs below the control arm? Then weld a plate on that sits flush with the arm, then either use a cup or fab one into the flush plate?

Old 12-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
alright, alright, alright! (nice avi) ok so basically i need to cut this hub that hangs below the control arm? Then weld a plate on that sits flush with the arm, then either use a cup or fab one into the flush plate?
Yes. You only need the cup if the bag can contact the 'legs' of the a-arm. If you modify them w/a piece of flat plate & the bag has no interference w/any metal, you might not need cups (look @ Ride Tech or Porterbuilt a-arms to see what I mean.... they don't require the use of cups).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I was just looking at the pic you should also move the sway bar to on top of the control arm...seems to me that's where it belongs but these arms maybe diff??

x2 the plate if you weld it to the bottom of the tubes just be sure that when the bag is empty it doesn't rub the a arms ( 8" is what you need) if not weld it to the top you would only loose 1" and it would clear everything

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote