The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2003, 07:16 PM   #1
Crank

Mustang 2 Front Suspensions for these trucks!

Okay. I was wondering if there was wondering if there was anyone who knew about any Mustang II front suspensions available for our trucks that weld to the frame. Here is a pic of someones truck that was sold on Ebay. I know you guys remember it. I've been to Fat Man Fabrications and talked to the guys there. But they've never said anything about having one that welds on. They do however have one that bolts on, but I don't want one that just bolts on. I want one that has an ultra clean look. And what do you think would be the availability for parts? Would it be just like getting parts for any other car or would it be different for our big trucks. Thanks guys!
Brandon
Attached Images

Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
Crank

Another.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2003, 07:24 PM   #3
JHickson6
I Love This Stuff!

Mustang? sorry i don't understand, is that a F**D, why would you do something like that? I understand words like Camaro and Corvette but whats a Mustang? FOR LIFE!!!

My Rides
1967 C10 In Pieces for now
1985 Ford B700 SourPuss Bus - BIG BLUE
2003 Silverado CITY WORKER YELLOW!!
JHickson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:35 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Thats some slick lookin suspension, & I have looked at it, But its a bit pricey! I had to really think .....what will I gain for all that cash? 1 more thought on the weld in stuff....these old truck frames were designed to flex,& if you plan welding crossmembers/ upper a arm brackets to the frame, you will need to box the rails to handle the setup. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:38 PM   #5
jiggs
poker face

Unless the company has re-engineered that system, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Our trucks are a lot wider than a Mustang II. How did they manage to make the system wider? Did they just cut the center support and widen it? If so the rack and pinion steering will give terrible bump steer. Also consider how much heavier a 1/2 ton is, compared to a little unibody "Pinto". Is this system beefed up to handle the extra weight? What kind of brakes come with the kit? Pinto or better. Is the spindle still Mustang II. What about ball joints?

Maybe for a trailer queen, but not for a driver that is going to be driven hard. Now I don't know the specifics of that system, maybe all these problems have been addressed, but then it wouldn't be a Mustang II suspension anymore, now would it.

Just my $.02
Old 01-24-2003, 07:48 PM   #6
Crank

Well CrazyL, that's exactly what I plan on doing. I'm going to box the frame; for looks as well as rigitity! I think this system is beefed up more than a regular pinto style suspension obviously. It doesn't really matter what style brakes they come with as eventually I would add a big brake kit. My truck will someday be a very beautiful street driven show truck!!! Also in the back is going a small C-Notch with a welded cross member back there to hold Air Bags! So, it's gonna be a heaping mass of Chevy(altered by Brandon)steel .......
Brandon
Old 01-24-2003, 10:21 PM   #7
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Bra e-mail me on the mustang 2 kit for 67-72 with 11" disc brakes and i'll send you the specs and boxing patterns. We have done 6 trucks so far with no problems.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:45 AM   #8
minibike

I don't know what you would gain, other than looks. But, to each his own. It does look nice.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 02:21 AM   #9
heschultz

I got mine through Jim Meyer Racing. Heres a link www.jimmeyerracing.com
70 SWB Chevy(in progress), 67 Front clip W/Cowl Induction Hood, Shaved Handles, Tailgate, Gas Filler Neck, Roof Seem, Cargo Light, and Side Marker Lights, T.P.I. 350 (all chrome except block and heads), 700r4, Bagged, Jim Meyer Racing Mustang II Front Suspension, 4 Link Rear Suspension, 4 Wheel Disk Brakes, Silver Powder Coated Frame, 20" Boyd Coddington Wheels

99 Suzuki Hayabusa(Black/Silver)
heschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:40 AM   #10
crazy longhorn

I would think that you could gain a bunch of ground clearance on a slammed truck with that style suspension, & like I said....slick as hell! If it fits your budget Brandon.......I say go for it! good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 01-25-2003, 11:21 AM   #11
slam33

Ya, I want to take the front end off a 2200 lb. car and slap it up under my 3300 lb. truck. That should work. Hey maybe I can use a Pinto brake system too since it should be lighter. Of course I still want that big block under the hood.

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 12:58 PM   #12
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

Ok Brad, it's time for some school here.....the way I see it, it's ok to put f@rd parts on a f@rd. It's ok to put Chevy or GM parts on a f@rd, but never put f@rd parts on a Chevy........infection could result, and they don't make anti-rejection medication for trucks!!!........Just my opinion........Btw, look at the bottom truck in my sig.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 03:40 PM   #13
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

OK guys here goes...
The reasons for going Mustang II "STYLE" suspension.

1) Ground clearance
2) Easy
3) Aftermarket parts (ie Big brakes, Quality A arms, etc.).
4) Tried and true. Streetrodders have been doing this for years. Bumpsteer on these things have been worked out many years ago.
5) Strength. Even if you were to use the Mustang crossmember, it was designed the have a F@rd small block or a realatively heavy 4 cyl right above the crossmember. A arms are quality tubular. If you heard they were weak, you heard wrong. Besides,It's just a Mustang II STYLE but it's much beefier
6) Looks. Clean, clean, clean.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 04:02 PM   #14
crazy longhorn

2nd that 70 jimmy, & to add a little those mustang II type setups run the same balljoints found under full sized fords. They have also been run in everything from pickups to full sized 50s Buicks! My reason to not run 1 is .......if I cant rebuild, or modify the stock stuff.......I cant afford it! crazyL

Last edited by crazy longhorn; 01-25-2003 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:02 PM   #15
hobby67stepside

I have used Fatman's Mustang II kit on a project ('57 Ford
f-100) and I can vouch that it is heavy duty enough for any engine you want to put in, the bump steer probelm is definitely engineered OUT, and it is relatively easy to install. Don't let the naysayers talk you out of it for anything but aesthetic reasons (Ford parts in a Chevy) I couldn't believe the driving difference it made.
    '78 K20 4X4 400 eng
    '70 Boss 302 (owner for 27 years)
    '57 Ford shortbox 383 stroker TH350 tranny
    '23 T-bucket (built in '78)
    '02 Explorer
    '67 C-10 short step
NW Iowa
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 08:11 PM   #16
MOTHERTRUCKERS

They are the best upgrade we have ever done to a 47-72 truck for the money.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:31 PM   #17
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

I would do it just for the looks of the tubular a-arms and coil-overs. This where I want to take mine but the $$ is slowing that down right now.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:00 PM   #18
mikep
Used to have a truck

Ive seen them installed in chevelles and big chevies among others and quite a few other cars that are a LOT heavier than 3300 lbs and I have never heard anyone complain about not being able to stop after a 150 mph 1/4 mile run. Fact is that if you are going to go through the trouble of installing a custom front suspension then you are probably not going to be picking up a 3000 lb load of cow manure. Its no longer a truck. Its a vehicle.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:52 PM   #19
new2my62

try this link
http://www.cachassisworks.com/home.htm
new2my62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:02 AM   #20
NPilot1975

That front suspension is a Jim Meyer Racing crossmember. The company also offers a bolt in kit that I believe is very similar. Fat Man Fabrications also has a bolt in front crossmember that is very similar. I was thinking of getting one for my truck but haven't decided yet. Tell me if you find out any info.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:53 AM   #21
neonlarry

I have heard that if you use the actual mustang II suspension that it is hard to find shocks that are strong enough. But, I have never looked into anything like that, I just remember someone with a 30s chevy truck telling me about how with that suspension you are always beaking shocks.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:47 PM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Some of the heavier street rods and Customs that are wider are now using Ddddd-dodge Dakota front suspensions.They can be fitted with tubular control arms and have Rack and pinion.They also came with weight ratings designed for 1/2 ton trucks.I think someone is building kits to put these under the 67-72 trucks but I don't know who.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:10 PM   #23
Jesse 67 c-10

Ya that is a slick setup, Very clean, probably handles great and rides nice. It obviously wouldn't be as strong, the spindles are car ones and if you look at the width of the a arms, the distance between the rod ends from front to back on both the upper and lower arms, is Much narrower that our truck ones are, thus the wheel has a lot more leverage on those rod ends or bushings. so it would be weaker say if you hit a really big pothole while your brakes were locked up. *cringe* but I've never heard or any problems before, anyone on this whole board heard of anything actually happening? just think though too, desert rase trucks also use tubular control arms. It's probably well worth it.
Jesse

1993 Dihatsu Hijet Jumbo cab 4x4, currently converting to battery electric power.
Jesse 67 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:20 PM   #24
baggedblaz

ok so here goes,
i was in cali over october and stopped in at Bill Turners shop Turner Enterprises,
he said he was starting to work on a cross member for our year trucks and older, it uses a 88-97 style spindle and brake setup, looked cool still uses chevy parts and killer ground clearance not to mention a factory crossmember drop?
i'd probably wait or contact him for info?
Turner Enterprises Hemet,Ca. 1-909-926-1729
he also sells a dropped factory crossmember and all 60-72 chevy truck suspension too?
no website yet,but he advertises in Street Trucks mag.
good luck
'95 chev 2wd Xcab swb
baggedblaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 06:06 PM   #25
Dropped67step
Gearhead since birth

I think it is a great set up if you want better handling and steering, Who really cares if it has a ford name? I am a die hard chevy freak and if i could afford it there would be one under my truck but i cant so i will keep the bags. I think people freak out a little to much over the name. I am sure a few of you are going to slam me for this but I think if its your ride you have the right to do what ever you want to it even if it is putting a part on it named after a ford. You can start giving me hell now. just my 2 cents
Dropped67step is offline   Reply With Quote