The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Husker

Quadrajet question

Merry Christmas to all.
I am wanting to replace carb on my Jeep CJ-5 304ci ( I know not Truck) and have had Great luck with My Q-Jet on my 70 GMC 4x4. It was rebuilt by Cliff Ruggles. I do not want to wait that long for another.
Anyhow which Q-Jet would be the best to get? I want an electric choke. Does it matter what year carb I use, and which would work best(Year wise).
The only reason I ask here is there is more knowledge here than anywhere else. Thanks and Happy Holiday's
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
68_chop_top

Re: Quadrajet question

I have had great luck buying my Q-jet from National Carburetors. Use ND2465 $199.95 with electric choke.
http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/l...partnum=nd2465
Old 12-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

The Jeep probably uses a square bore carb. A Q-jet is spread bore & won't work on that manifold without an adapter which isn't very practical. It's best to fix the carb that is on it. The Edelbrock performer is a good replacement.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Husker

I have Edelbrock on it now and seems to have dead spot wher it bogs. It also has a starting problem after it sits for a while. I have tried just about everything I can think of to remedy with no luck. I have even tried to take it to a repitable Mechanic and he told me to get a Holley or a Q-Jet and he would fix it.
I have the original Q-Jet on my 70 GMC 4x4 rebuilt and it works near flawless. I have considered buying a Summit Carb but did some research and have found some Holley's don't do well on 4x4's, and Q-jet's are suppose to work well on 4x4's.
I just thought if I tried a different route I may have better luck. Thnaks for any help
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Husker; 12-25-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
airdale94

If it's a 4bbl manifold I would put a Motorcraft 4300 on it. 2bbl 2150.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...item20aea0a51f
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Brewski*

My 1971 4x4 has a new Edelbrock 1406 It SUCKS when off road at the slightest angle it bogs and pukes. I did the research and most wheelers go with Q-Jets. Lots of opions on them in the Summit Catalog. Anyone want to trade a nice rebuilt Q-Jet for the 1406 let me know.
Brew
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Husker

airdale94 I am a Chevy, Jeep guy, My Jeep had the Edelbrock on it when I bought it. Don't know much about Ford Is this a Good Carb.

I know it may have had a Motorcraft as stock carburetor. It had the Motorcraft crappy Ignition now has HEI. Anyhow is this a GOOD choice?

The Edelbrock I have now seems to OK at times but others not so Good. Has a dead spot that I can't seem to find.
Thanks for all the help
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
68_chop_top

Get the numbers off the Q-jet (drivers side) and call National Carb and get a carb just like the one on your chevy.
http://www.florida4x4.com/tech/quadrajet/index.php
I have included a good Q-jet link that has everything. You can even get an old core with the same numbers off ebay and send to National Carb for rebuild. Cores cost $40
Old 12-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker View Post
Anyhow which Q-Jet would be the best to get? I want an electric choke. Does it matter what year carb I use, and which would work best(Year wise).
To answer your original question, any Q-jet can be made to run well, however, the ones from the mid to late '70s are the most desirable. Mine came off a '78 Corvette.

If you plan to find and build it yourself, I would suggest Googling any and all Q-jet information you can find by Lars Grimsrud. I found his technical papers to be extremely beneficial when I was building mine. Even if you don't plan on building your carb, the information in his papers make for some very interesting reading and you'll be much more informed when looking for one or consulting with the person who is actually tuning it.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
packers05

I have an old quad on mine that my dad modded to suit my lopey cam and it is great, no choke but it doent take more than a minute to idle on its own, he has a book he bought online on how to makem work, my dad put one on a ram with a 360 it really improved the drivability of it too [cam,headers,etc] it required an adapt but who cares it got better milage and ran strong
packers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Summit has exact replacement Q-jets with electric choke.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
Wrenchbender Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski* View Post
My 1971 4x4 has a new Edelbrock 1406 It SUCKS when off road at the slightest angle it bogs and pukes. I did the research and most wheelers go with Q-Jets. Lots of opions on them in the Summit Catalog. Anyone want to trade a nice rebuilt Q-Jet for the 1406 let me know.
Brew
Send me an e-mail. georgec2434@yahoo.com
Old 12-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
BigChevy80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut64052 View Post
To answer your original question, any Q-jet can be made to run well, however, the ones from the mid to late '70s are the most desirable. Mine came off a '78 Corvette.
Lugnut,
I always figured the pre-emission carbs would be more desirable. What makes the mid-late 70's carbs good? I have one from 1979 laying in the shop and have yet to do anything with it.

Money is no object... once it's in your wife's hands.

1972 GMC Sierra
1977 Ford LTD II
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix (wife's ride)
BigChevy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

The Q-Jets made for emissions controls became less user-friendly. The early ones had idle air adjustment screws that were later made inaccessible. If you see a Q-Jet with what looks like something that was broken off of the front of the carb, that will be one. The idle air screws on those were different, too. Some were known as Mod-Quads and later ones had electric accelerator pumps and they will have an electrical connector that has to be attached to something to make it work.

First Q-Jets came out in '66, as I remember. But, for the performance muscle cars of that day and time, like the SS396 Chevelles....GM used Holley's.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Wrenchbender Ret

The late 70's early 80's had electric chokes or the round choke that can be converted to electric. They can be used on practically any manifold. The easrlier ones had a divorced choke heater of several different designs. They had to be used with a corresponding manifold. The 70's -80's had some improvements like more screws holding them together to prevent warpage. You don't want the mid 80's that had the elctronic feedback. They will not work right without computers.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
airdale94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker View Post
airdale94 I am a Chevy, Jeep guy, My Jeep had the Edelbrock on it when I bought it. Don't know much about Ford Is this a Good Carb.

I know it may have had a Motorcraft as stock carburetor. It had the Motorcraft crappy Ignition now has HEI. Anyhow is this a GOOD choice?

The Edelbrock I have now seems to OK at times but others not so Good. Has a dead spot that I can't seem to find.
Thanks for all the help
Ron
Sorry, I diddn't get back sooner. The Motorcraft is a good carb. The 2150 are used alot on the Jeeps. There alot like a Holley only they don't have external fuel bowls. They have annular discharge nozzles. There's a spring mod. for the float for 4X4'ers. There's alot of info on the net just Google Motorcraft 2150. I don't see where you would need a 4bbl. but you wouldn't have to get a new intake. You might be able to pick up a stock 2bbl. reasonable, I don't know what they go for. You might be able to get a 4bbl. to 2bbl. adapter. You shouldn't lose anything when adapting down. Here's a couple links to the 2150.

http://www.tekatlarge.com/Automobile...0%20Carb1.html

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech..._2150_carb.pdf
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
Husker

Thanks everyone for the Help alot of good info.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

Thomas Jefferson