The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
speedy38

Heater Fan Question

I do not know if this is the way it is supposed to be or not so I will ask the experts. When I am sitting there and the heater and fan is on, nothing blows out . When I am cruising down the highway it is blowing out full force, so the speed at which I am driving determines the force of the heat. Is this supposed to be or is the fan supposed to run continuous like vehicles nowadays? If the fan is supposed to run continuously where should I look to get it going? This is my first classic vehicle so I am still learning. Thanks in advance for all of your expert comments (and I do consider you all experts!)
speedy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Re: Heater Fan Question

Your fan isn't working at all. When you are going down the road air is blowing in through the cowl panel through the heater core. I'd start checking for power (with fan turned on and ignition on run) at the blower motor then the switch on the heater control.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy38 View Post
I do not know if this is the way it is supposed to be or not so I will ask the experts. When I am sitting there and the heater and fan is on, nothing blows out . When I am cruising down the highway it is blowing out full force, so the speed at which I am driving determines the force of the heat. Is this supposed to be or is the fan supposed to run continuous like vehicles nowadays? If the fan is supposed to run continuously where should I look to get it going? This is my first classic vehicle so I am still learning. Thanks in advance for all of your expert comments (and I do consider you all experts!)
This could be a lot of different things. First go under the hood and run a jumper wire from the pos side of the battery to the spade on the fan. If it don't run try a direct ground from neg to the fan housing. If it still don't run your motor is no good. If it runs and does not blow air then the plastic squirrel cage is most likely broken and will need replacing. The other problems would be a blown fuse,bad switch,bad resistor, or broken wiring. check the fan motor first.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
mr48chev

I've got to go through the same process today. HaysonJ pretty well nailed it.

One of my problems is that a rodent used my heater as a nest/storage compartment at some time in the past and I need to take the shopvac to that. Then it is trace down the electrical issue.

It's probably easier to track the electrical trail back from the blower motor but you do want to make sure that the fuse is good first. I know my switch is bad and have it jumped but right now but there are other issues that I have to figure out today on it too.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I just went through this yesterday. Mine was packed with leaves and something resembling dirt. The mouse had packed the heater tight and nawed on the plastic wheel as well.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
speedy38

Thanks guys I will let you all know when I get back from vacation and have a chance to try it out. You guys are awesome!
speedy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
69GMCLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy38 View Post
Thanks guys I will let you all know when I get back from vacation and have a chance to try it out. You guys are awesome!
The 2 trucks I have owned of this vintage both had grounding problems. So as stated above, running a jumper should tell you where your problem is.. If it's a non-AC system, they are SUPER easy to work on once you get in there and see how the barn doors work, etc... So troubleshooting it should only take a partial day and a 12 pack...
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote