The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
6D8_C10

5.3L with a th350

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to get a list together for my 5.3L swap.
I have read the different posts and I have found good info.

I saw in some of the posts where adapters are used for motor mounts to put the engine in our trucks.
I also read where either a flexplate extentions are used to match up the older transmissions to the LSx engines.
Or, you can use the special made Torque Converters for the LSx and the other transmissions.

So, with the adapter options above will there be any other mods needed to connect the LSx motor to an older Trans in an older Truck?

"Just so we are reminded of those who are held back,
Up front there ought to be a Man in Black". Johnny Cash.
6D8_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Thealien

Re: 5.3L with a th350

There are ways of doing it but why? Upgrading to a 5.3 without the overdrive IMHO takes a lot of the advantage to that swap away?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

but if its what you want to do then get after it. One thing you will have to do is find some way to adapt you old manual TV (kick down) cable to the new throttle body. If your 5.3 is one of the newer ones with the drive-by-wire setup, this could be pretty difficult. If it is an older 5.3 with a regular style throttle cable then you could probably fab something up a little easier.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
6D8_C10

Well, I am putting an Overdrive in, but I didn't want this post to go off on a tangent. If I said I wanted to use an overdrive and replace my th350 then I would have a post talking about how I have to shorten the drive shaft etc. I might be using the 200-r4 and then I would get different post about that. It is the same as the th350 in dimensions. Also, the th350 does NOT have a TV cable, it has a kickdown when you accelerate and shifts from 3rd to 2nd but, you can do that manually. Besides, I am thinking about going all NON electric including a carburetor.

Anyway, back on topic, to keep this post simple, I just want answers to mating a 5.3L to a th350 and the necessary mods to get the 5.3L in our trucks.

If I just stick with that question, I can keep this simple.

Thanks guys.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
brad_man_72
the boat guy

im sorry i just gotta know.
why put a carb and distributor on a 5.3 then back it with a 200r?
i think its about the same money to go all computer or all mechanical.

check out powertrain industries when you have your driveshaft shortened. as seen on hrtv. located in springfield mo.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D8_C10 View Post
Well, I am putting an Overdrive in, but I didn't want this post to go off on a tangent. If I said I wanted to use an overdrive and replace my th350 then I would have a post talking about how I have to shorten the drive shaft etc. I might be using the 200-r4 and then I would get different post about that. It is the same as the th350 in dimensions. Also, the th350 does NOT have a TV cable, it has a kickdown when you accelerate and shifts from 3rd to 2nd but, you can do that manually. Besides, I am thinking about going all NON electric including a carburetor.

Anyway, back on topic, to keep this post simple, I just want answers to mating a 5.3L to a th350 and the necessary mods to get the 5.3L in our trucks.

If I just stick with that question, I can keep this simple.

Thanks guys.
I've done a ton of research on a 5.3/4L60 swap and know I have read some information on using the Th350 with the 5.3. There is either a spacer or you need a completely different flywheel? If you go to my LS thread in my signature and at the bottom of the first post are 2 question and answer threads from 2 different forums. I am sure if you read those 2 you should find your answer.

Good luck finding your answer and with your swap!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Thealien

Here you go. This could be found in the link I posted but
Here is a discussion on installing a th350 or 400 to LS based engines
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Shon

We use these spacers made for us.

It goes in the end of the crank and the snout of the TH350/400 TC rides in it.

$35 shipped.

Last edited by Shon; 12-29-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
6D8_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Here you go. This could be found in the link I posted but
Here is a discussion on installing a th350 or 400 to LS based engines
Thanks Thealien.
Patooyee answered the question here:
Quote:
No crank spacer is needed because the newer transmissions address that issue in the nose of the torque converters themselves. So if you're trying to put one of the older transmissions on the newer engines, the flexplate .4" spacing issues is already resolved for you. All that is left to address is extending the pilot bore .4". This can easily and cheaply be done with the summit spacer shown earlier in this thread. This configuration will look like this:

crank | .4" dished flexplate | .4" summit spacer | torque converter | trans
Quote:
im sorry i just gotta know.
why put a carb and distributor on a 5.3 then back it with a 200r?
i think its about the same money to go all computer or all mechanical.

check out powertrain industries when you have your driveshaft shortened. as seen on hrtv. located in springfield mo.
Brad_Man,

I would not use a distributor, MSD has a kit that plugs in with Distributorless Ingnistion System on the LSx engines the goes hand in hand with the edelbrock duel plane intake. And, I already have a built 200-4r sitting in the garage (which is the same as the th350) so I would not have any money to pay out for a trans and no modes to the trans mount or the drive shaft. So, I pay $600 for the intake and MSD DIS setup and Im done, or Spend that much on an 4L60e, plus a trans mount, plus the drive shaft mod, plus trying to tune it all together. With the EFI and OBD II system I would have to take it somewhere to have it tuned. I already do that with my turbo track car. Its a pain in the arse. Any way this is just ONE option, I still may do all electronic keeping the EFI all the harness wiring, and the 4L60 option. Again I am thinking about all my possible options. But, the main reason for this post is for the PHYSICAL part about fitting the LSx engines into our trucks. I am also trying to eliminate all the down time and have everything ready to switch.
I found some posts on LS1tech but I wanted to make sure with installation with our trucks SPECIFICALLY.

Meanwhile back on topic. My list so far:

1. Motor mount adapter plates
2. Possible modified exhaust manifold (or modify the frame)
3. Flexplate and or spacer (for new engine w/ old tranny)
4. High pressure fuel line,return, pump etc (if staying with EFI)

thanks again guys

BTW MeanYellowZ has a very good post
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...de-1500-a.html

Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D8_C10 View Post
2. Possible modified exhaust manifold (or modify the frame)
You can run the Doug Thorley Headers instead of the exhaust manifolds and not cut anything or run the Pacesetter headers and cut frame and dent some of the header tubes.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Thealien

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am a knowledge junkie and read until my eyes couldn't take it anymore before I "decided" the direction I wanted to go. I asked Why so I might have a better understanding. Take the time and read a bunch of those links, there is lots of great info there and many different opinions.

When I decided to go with a 4L60/Np205 I got lots of the same kind of questions and everyone telling my I should take a different path. I did my research and like you I have my reasons for going in this direction.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
brad_man_72
the boat guy

waitformeperformance harness modifications and tune $360 6 wire hookup needs fuse block $20
fuel cell, lines, pump, fittings $1000

sounds like you know your options just depends on what you expect the truck to do when youre done.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
6D8_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
waitformeperformance harness modifications and tune $360 6 wire hookup needs fuse block $20
fuel cell, lines, pump, fittings $1000

sounds like you know your options just depends on what you expect the truck to do when youre done.
Thanks Brad_Man. That is a lot more than I thought. That is just with staying electronic and doesn't include the $$ involve for putting in the 4l60.

With the Carb set up, it looks like it would just be another $600. Not sure about the adapter plates. I have only paid $600 for all of the engine, wire harness, and all accessories. So, for would be about $1200 for my conversion to LSx engine.

Quote:
I totally understand where you are coming from. I am a knowledge junkie and read until my eyes couldn't take it anymore before I "decided" the direction I wanted to go. I asked Why so I might have a better understanding. Take the time and read a bunch of those links, there is lots of great info there and many different opinions.
Thanks thealien for the info.
I usually do all my research first be for I go diving in. I try to do something different than everyone else but not to far from the norm that I make it difficult for myself. I am lazy and I'm cheap. LOL

As I do this transfer here in the next month I will take lots of pics and give everyone an update.

Tony

Old 01-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
6D8_C10

So to make sure I got this right according to a post by PATOOYEE :

Quote:
So if you're trying to put one of the older transmissions on the newer engines, the flexplate .4" spacing issues is already resolved for you. All that is left to address is extending the pilot bore .4". This can easily and cheaply be done with the summit spacer shown earlier in this thread. This configuration will look like this:

crank | .4" dished flexplate | .4" summit spacer | torque converter | trans
ALLTorque Converters mate up to the "dished" flexplate. The issue is that the "nipple" on the front of the older TCs don't meet up into the "dished" area of the flywheel. So the spacer makes up the difference.

Since I have the "dished flexplate from the 5.3L

All I need to match up the "Old Style" trans to the 5.3L is this spacer

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/50...512-hp3795.jpg