The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
NuBomb

Carter AFB Rebuild Question

I rebuilt my carb today and have a little bag of important looking stuff left over. Not really, but I did have one part that I cannot figure out.

A little check ball fell out of my carburator while I was taking it apart. There was a new one in the kit, but I cannot figure out where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - I finally gave up trying to figure it out and put the carb back together and it seems to run great, but I just want to try to do the job correctly. It was a NAPA rebuild kit and the carb is a carter AFB competition series #9635.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Carter AFB Rebuild Question

The check ball goes inside, under the accelerator pump squirter nozzles.
There's usually a spare check ball in the recarb kit. I use EDEL-1477, it has a lot more parts than the old Carter recarb kits did. In case you were unaware, the Edelbrock Performer Series Carbs are basically the same as the Comp Serieds Carter AFBs. The two companies have different numbering systems for the small parts, but they're basically identical physically.
I'm not sure, but I think the 9635 is the same as the Edel-1400, 600-625 CFM w/ EGR.
I had one on a 454 in my old '67 K/10 Suburban. After an air cleaner fire, it's just spare parts now, but it was a good carb.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
NuBomb

Does it go below the pump discharge check needle? I'm looking at a diagram, and the ball is not shown. There is a brass needle under the pump jet housing - does it go under needle? Thanks.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Garage Freak

The Muscle Car TV show just went through a Q-Jet rebuild. Here is a link to te rebuild. The very last slide has the video showing where the ball goes.

Hope this helps.
Garage Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Garage Freak

Sorry here is the link. http://www.powerblockmag.com/?pub=735fa32c&page=18
Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

If it has the brass needle it will not use a ball at that place. It may be an extra part for some models that use a ball instead of the needle. I can look at a book tomorrow & see. A breakdown for Q-jet's will not help you.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
NuBomb

I had hoped it was just an extra part for another model, but a little ball did come out of the carb when I took it apart. Please take a look at that book when you get a chance I would appreciate it greatly. Like I said it seems to be running great. I've driven back and forth down the street and all is well. I'll probably take it across town tomorrow (thrillseeker).

Garage Freak - I'll be driving right through Roswell tomorrow. I'll be heading to Lilburn. I have a Carter AFB so the Q-Jet stuff probably doesn't Jive. Thanks for the link though. I have a Q-Jet I think I'm going to build for backup.

North Georgia Group

Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Garage Freak

Duh, I'm not sure where I got started on the Q-Jet. I slapped my typing hand.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
OhOneWS6

You are no the first. There is probably a weight that you lost as well. You will want to fix that. It is the check valve for the accelerator pump. It goes under the squirters.

Download the carb owners manual from Edelbrock and look at page 22 part 36 & 37.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 12-31-2009 at 06:37 PM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
NuBomb

WS6 - Thanks for the link. I thought it came from there, but I didn't think it would have both the ball and the weight (I guess). It looks like the ball goes in first and then the brass weight. The weight has one pointed end and one flat. Am I correct that the weight should go in pointed end up?

BTW - I drove the thing 100 miles today and it worked like a champ. I will make the repair, just hope I don't ruin the gasket.

North Georgia Group

Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
Wrenchbender Ret

The chart shows a ball that looks like it goes in the bottom of the accel. pump well. Look down the throat of the carb & work mthe throttle. If you get 2 good squirts of gas I wouldn't worry about it.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #12
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBomb View Post
WS6 - Thanks for the link. I thought it came from there, but I didn't think it would have both the ball and the weight (I guess). It looks like the ball goes in first and then the brass weight. The weight has one pointed end and one flat. Am I correct that the weight should go in pointed end up?

BTW - I drove the thing 100 miles today and it worked like a champ. I will make the repair, just hope I don't ruin the gasket.
I think its pointy-end down. I call it the arrow. I think, also, you have either an arrow or a check ball, not both.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBomb View Post

no problem. Man It's been a while since I had one apart. I think I'd call Edelbrock and ask them. The Carter is almost identical to the Edelbrock. At some point in the 90's you could get this carb from Carter, Edelbrock & Weber. Just call Edelbrock and tell then you are rebuilding a 1406 and you are unsure which way to put the weight in.

EDIT: The more I think about this, Are you sure you are not confusing that weight with the needle for the needle and seat? I seem to remember the weight being the same on both ends. The needle is similar is size and material but it has a pointed end for the seat and a flat end for the float. Be sure to post your results for others that may have the same problem and find this thread.

As for the ones saying don't worry about it, That carb has been produced for many many years and it has not changed. It is still in production today. If the weight was not needed the engineers would have removed it long ago. It may not affect him right now but it will rear it's head in the future. All it takes is enough time for the fuel to evaporate and leave a small deposit under the squirter and all of the sudden the accelerator pump is not working because the check ball is gone. Not to mention the headaches for him or the next owner who tries to tune it by changing the squirter size because it is not getting enough fuel from the accelerator pump. It's an easy fix. He should do it while it's fresh on his mind. Not flaming, just my .02

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 01-02-2010 at 11:39 AM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
dadsgreentruck

I just did my 9635 AFB. I used an Edelbrock rebuild kit to do it. The kit came with a ball and weight but my AFB just had a brass needle. I just re-used it. Seems to work fine. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Carter AFB's came with a needle and Edlebrocks use a ball and weight. Must have been a minor design change somewhere along the line.