The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
69Special

1969 engine & interior questions

Hi. Just my 2nd post (I posted in the new user section). I am having a hard time finding some numbers and information for GM/GMC trucks. I'll just number my questions so they're easier to respond to.

ENGINE
1) Did Chevy and GMC use the same engine codes and casting numbers in 1969? I'm guessing yes?

2) I just purchased a '69 GMC Camper Special. I am told it has a 396 in it. What are the correct casting numbers for the block and the heads. Also, I assume there's a suffix and date code stamped on the block as well like the Chevrolet passenger cars?

If someone could provide me with at least the potential block casting numbers for '69 and the suffix codes, that'd be great. I have Chevy By The Numbers, but sadly, that doesn't apply to trucks.

INTERIOR
The worst part of my soon to be truck is the butcher job they did on the interior. Put ridiculous padding on the doors, changed out the seat, put in crappy carpeting.

1) What color was the metal on the interior painted? Did it match the outside color or was it painted to match the color of the interior fabric? I believe my truck interior should be Saddle. Exterior appears to always have been white, although I haven't confirmed it.

2) Like the GM cars, is there a trim tag stating all of this information, or does one rely on the glovebox door sticker. I've only seen mine in photos, so I haven't had a chance to see what it exactly says.

3) Dash gauge cluster face--for some reason, mine is blue at the moment. I'm not sure if this was taken out of a blue interior or painted. If my interior should be saddle, what color should the dash face be? Was there a saddle colored one or was it just black.

Also, if someone has some pics of an unmolested '69 interior, I'd love to see them.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks.

Last edited by 69Special; 12-30-2009 at 01:51 PM.
69Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
w3lfd

Re: 1969 engine & interior questions

1. Not sure, I would assume this is the case.

2. http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm - lots of info elsewhere on this site as well.

My 69 is a custom 10 and is fairly close to unmolested, but it is a chevy. There are going to be some variables involved as far as differences in trim packages. My interior is red, and my guage assembly comes in black. Not sure on the answers to your questions though, as I am fairly new to these trucks as well.

Last edited by w3lfd; 12-30-2009 at 02:40 PM.
w3lfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
sameyrasmea72

interior
1 The metal on the interior was the same as the outside except in 1967 it matched the color of the interior.

2 no trim tags for 1967-1972 trucks.

3 Gmc had a color coded guage bezel, so it sounds original. You might of had a blue interior originally. Chevy had a black face on their bezels.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
69Special

Thanks guys. I ordered a couple of new books for GM Big Block suffix & stamping codes from Summit Racing, so I should be covered on that end.

As far as the interior goes, it's tough to say, really. While I have not seen the truck in person, through pictures I've obviously seen conflicting results. The sticker on the inside of the glove box door says it should have Saddle cloth interior. While the glove box door could have been changed out, the truck also has saddle seatbelts. I guess someone could have taken the door and seatbelts out of another truck. It would have been less work than switching out the dash gauges, bezel and dash pad (all are blue).

At the moment, even the steering column is painted white, so I can't use that as a deciding factor. I'm hoping I can scratch off some of the crappy white paint on the column and see what color the interior might have been (unless they were black, but I'm guessing that was painted interior color).

Good info on the Chevy vs. GMC bezels.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

If you can get the casting info off the engine and heads, post the numbers here. There will be a date code on the parts also.
I think the steering column would be interior color unless it is a tilt in which case it would be black. I think the tilt came out in 70. And gmc did have color matched gauge bezels to match the interior. Unless it was a sierra grande it would have woodgrain then. I think that package was 1970 also. Make sure the vin number on the glovebox door matches the title and door jamb. If that all matches you should be able to figure out what you have. Sometimes a build sheet is stuffed in the seat springs. Check that out. Good luck, Eric
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
69Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
If you can get the casting info off the engine and heads, post the numbers here. There will be a date code on the parts also.
Thanks Eric. The seller was supposed to get me the codes yesterday, but failed to do so. Even if the truck is a small block, it's so cheap that it doesn't really matter as long as it runs (which it does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
I think the steering column would be interior color unless it is a tilt in which case it would be black. I think the tilt came out in 70. And gmc did have color matched gauge bezels to match the interior. Unless it was a sierra grande it would have woodgrain then. I think that package was 1970 also. Make sure the vin number on the glovebox door matches the title and door jamb. If that all matches you should be able to figure out what you have. Sometimes a build sheet is stuffed in the seat springs. Check that out. Good luck, Eric
I'll definitely have to check out the VIN and see if everything matches.

Here's some pics:

Old 12-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

It is a big block and looks correct as far as brackets and such. Something on the intake doesn't look quite right, but hard to tell for sure in the pic. I also can't read the spid from that pic.
Looks like a decent truck...
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

I can make out that it had Saddle Cloth Trim, so the truck would have had saddle (brownish) interior like the seat belts and such. The gauge bezel would be painted saddle where it is blue, dash pad saddle, and seat saddle, along with carpet unless it originally had a rubber floor mat instead which could have black or saddle. (I think, please correct if wrong on the rubber mat).
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
69Special

Oh, I thought of 2 more questions.

1) there appears to be a crappy aftermarket radio in the dash which means one thing: they cut it. Is there a patch for this that can be welded in? I want to go back to a stock stereo. (or at least a Retrosound)

2) Based on the pics, what is the biggest tire I can fit on the truck? I think the rims are 16" (not 16.5), and it's currently running 235 65R16s on it. I was thinking of going with 235 70R16s, but if I could go slightly bigger, I might do that. Opinions?