The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
Sinisterspeed

Best price on Mustang II front end? WTB

Ok I think I have finally talked the old man into springing for the Mustang II front end. I remember I used to see them all the time in the Budget trim form for 999.00 but I can't remember where now. anyone know where the best prices are these days for them?

TCI, Heights, Fatman, or ??

Looking for one now so any help would be appreciated!

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
MrTucker

Re: Best price on Mustang II front end? WTB

From what I've found they are all within a few hundred $ of each other - usually around $1700 - 1900 for a name brand (complete hub to hub). I saw an off brand MII in a magazine for about $1300, but nothing less than that...
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Depending on your skill level and how much you want to fab you can get a kit from theses guys for cheap. The guys on "Trucks" put one in earlier this year, looked simple enough.

http://www.welderseries.com/catalog/...hp?cPath=22_25
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Atomsplitter

I would NOT suggest buying the cheapest IFS (Economy) that is on the market. The cheap stamped lower A-Arms on the economy models are narrowed at the bottom like the original stock Mustang used and necessitated the addition of a strut rod to stop the lower A-Arm from folding back. I have a early model of an economy IFS and my tire hits the strut rod if I turn too sharp. Spend a bit more money and get the full width tubular A-Arms, you'll be alot happier in the long run.

Or you can also look at a unit like this:

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=338344

Scott is on the HAMB quite a bit and he makes a crossmember designed to use S-10 or GM Metric components so you can build the IFS from off the shelf GM parts or even used to keep your costs down. It's an interesting read if nothing else.

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 12-31-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
blackdiesel

here's a thread I started with my choise of mustang 11 that I thought was the best buy. I've got bogged down in the cold and christmas, I haven't got much done in the last month. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=368287
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway

Last edited by blackdiesel; 12-31-2009 at 08:09 PM.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

For me its a no brainer..call Scott's Hot rod..there stuff is premio!! priced right and since all of them are custom built IT WILL DO THE JOB....I worked with Jeph give him a call

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Sinisterspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTucker View Post
From what I've found they are all within a few hundred $ of each other - usually around $1700 - 1900 for a name brand (complete hub to hub). I saw an off brand MII in a magazine for about $1300, but nothing less than that...
Yeah thats mostly what I am finding right now too.... However I did just find it again in the catalog from last month for 999! thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Depending on your skill level and how much you want to fab you can get a kit from theses guys for cheap. The guys on "Trucks" put one in earlier this year, looked simple enough.

http://www.welderseries.com/catalog/...hp?cPath=22_25
Im going to go check this one out right now. thx!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomsplitter View Post
I would NOT suggest buying the cheapest IFS (Economy) that is on the market. The cheap stamped lower A-Arms on the economy models are narrowed at the bottom like the original stock Mustang used and necessitated the addition of a strut rod to stop the lower A-Arm from folding back. I have a early model of an economy IFS and my tire hits the strut rod if I turn too sharp. Spend a bit more money and get the full width tubular A-Arms, you'll be alot happier in the long run.

Or you can also look at a unit like this:

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=338344

Scott is on the HAMB quite a bit and he makes a crossmember designed to use S-10 or GM Metric components so you can build the IFS from off the shelf GM parts or even used to keep your costs down. It's an interesting read if nothing else.

well its not really about he cheapest. This is a HUGE step up from what he wanted as was in the process of doing. But getting him from 300 to 1000 was hard enough. I just dont think he can swallow 1700. However if I can get it for 1300 and its the right kit for the truck I might be able to push it that far.... HOWEVER! I have an S10 doner front end in addition to the 67 I have sitting here. So for the S10 idea this might be the best option yet, thanks so much for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
here's a thread I started with my choise of mustang 11 that I thought was the best buy. I've got bogged down in the cold and christmas, I haven't got much done in the last month. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=368287
top of my list so far. Looks like yours turned out great. Are you happy with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
For me its a no brainer..call Scott's Hot rod..there stuff is premio!! priced right and since all of them are custom built IT WILL DO THE JOB....I worked with Jeph give him a call
Scotts great. thats who's making my whole kit for my 57 but its just a bit out of reach for my Dad at 2100 for just the front.

Thank you to all that have helped me with the options here. I am trying to make it right without having to strip the whole truck and start over and thus spending way more then he will be willing to do. or the other route (which is where we were heading) used parts, straight axle or who knows.....thx again! any more ideas we havent ordered anything yet... but im heading back to read more about the s10 crossmember

57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Old 01-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
MrTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinisterspeed View Post
Yeah thats mostly what I am finding right now too.... However I did just find it again in the catalog from last month for 999! thanks for the input.
That's cool, I've never seen one that cheap. But I have to say I would never buy a MII that cheap - have heard too many stories about cheap MII's riding poorly and wearing out too quickly...just a thought

Edit: Here's the link for a discounted TCI MII: http://www.streetrodparts.tv/tci_mustangII.htm

Last edited by MrTucker; 01-01-2010 at 04:08 PM.
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
Sinisterspeed

just looked though that whole thread on the s10 crossmember idea. Thats for AD trucks. I emailed Dan to find out more though.

57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Old 01-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Sinisterspeed

No dice on the S-10 crossmember. Just got an answer back from Dan. It will not fit a TF truck.

So far I think it's looking like the MII from Speedway 2" drop spindles and Tubular control arm upgrade for 1179.00. I'm still trying to find out the overall track width to see if I need to do the 5/8" narrower contolarms to help with the wheel adapters I will need to reinstall the 6lug slots that are on the truck. If anyone knows the track width on the one from speedway post it or send me a PM. I think thats the last thing I need to find out first

57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Old 01-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
mr48chev

I think someone is selling six lug hubs for the MII spindles. Here, http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/09...all/index.html

I checked their website and still haven't figured it all out but it looks like it isn't a very economical solution although it may be a good one.

I found this on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STREE...Q5fAccessories
Spendy but it is all the pieces to put the six lug brakes on the MII front end. When you start pricing out individual pieces like wheel bearings, seals, calipers, brake pads and what not it may not be as expensive as it looks.

As for myself, I'm intending to use the Welder's series crossmember and Stock MII pieces that I have had out here in the shed for the past 20 years. I'm not out to impress anyone with fancy a arms and am going to run a fairly narrow tire on the front so I don't have clearance issues.

Last edited by mr48chev; 01-01-2010 at 02:19 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
nebdrummer

if you are still looking for a cheap must. II front end. speedway motors out of lincoln makes their own kits. good quality products. just got done installing one in a 51 F-1 for a guy. good for a daily driver but if you are serious about your old truck.. *tracking,racing ect.* then i would look into something beefier.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustan...Kits,2089.html

also, if you plan on putting coilovers on your ride, steer away from carrara's coilover. sure they look nice, but they are such a pain to adjust. if anything, go with QA1's mustang II coilover.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380212
nebdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
Sinisterspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebdrummer View Post
if you are still looking for a cheap must. II front end. speedway motors out of lincoln makes their own kits. good quality products. just got done installing one in a 51 F-1 for a guy. good for a daily driver but if you are serious about your old truck.. *tracking,racing ect.* then i would look into something beefier.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustan...Kits,2089.html

also, if you plan on putting coilovers on your ride, steer away from carrara's coilover. sure they look nice, but they are such a pain to adjust. if anything, go with QA1's mustang II coilover.
Good info! I already got one of those on the way. It was supposed to be here friday (if their back ordered parts came in) I take it they didnt.

I got the basic kit (999) upgraded to tubular control arms 5/8" narrowed (1179) brake hoses and rack extentions. all came to just under 1300.

57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #14
nebdrummer

yeah, i scanned through this thread again after i posted and didnt realize that speedway was already posted up.

but very nice. pictures are always good!

good luck.. pretty easy install! just make sure you have good welds.

what did you go for on the rack? power or manual?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380212
nebdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #15
Sinisterspeed

I'll get some pictures once the parts arrive. Plus I'll be adding the install pics either here or on the build thread in my sig. "Dads Budget 55"

57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Old 03-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
Laid_Out_50

Jiim Weimer Hotrod Garage. I got mine with airbags and tubular A-arms for less than $2k shipped
Laid_Out_50 is offline   Reply With Quote