The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
70stroker

70gmc leaf to coil question

I have a 70 gmc that is lowered on leaf springs currently. I want to be able to fit bigger meats under the rear, mostly for look but also i am having a hard time hooking up at the track with my blown bbc. I have priced 4link kits and what not but i have seen alot of great track times with pretty much stock trailing arm setups. I have considered doin this a few ways, so im gonna run each one by you guys and see what you think.

Option #1:
Track down a old parts truck get the crossmember out of it and possibly controls arms if not rusted. Send those to poweder coaters. Buy lowering coils, along with track bar. I figured this one will run be about 500 to 700 depending on if i got to buy new trailing arms and what not.

Option #2:
Box the inside of my frame and put the driver leaf spring inboard on the passenger side and vise versa. Prolly still wont hook all that well, but i will get the look i am after. Then weld on some new perches on the rear end, I think i will also have to do something about shock mounts. This route will prolly cost me around 500, as i can not weld that thick of metal so will pay someone to do this.

Option #3:
Buy the follwing kit from CPP have everything brand new, and only have to worry about welding on the perches, this kit appears that the track bar does not get attached to the axle (is this correct?).I already have a c notch in the frame, so could i use it or would i remove it and use their c notch? This otion looks to be basically bolt in and would run be about 1,300.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/.../6372TRS-K.htm

I know i am also gonna have tire expenses wheels and reworking the tubs in the bed, like i said im just talkin the kit alone. I really want to not get into swaping to a chevy rear end with the track bar perch on the housing, mainly because this rear already has 4:11 gears, moser axles, and a auburn posi, aka i already have about 2000 in this rear from a couple years ago.

What do you guys think i should do, has anyone used that kit?

Here is a truck i am working on. Thanks guys

70stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: 70gmc leaf to coil question

There is another option. Considering you have a lot invested in your rear axle already, changing it for another one doesn't make much sense (or cents either). I have seen 73-87 with the leafs located inboard, but don't think that will work as well on a 67-72 frame, assuming the frame is the same leaf or coil.

I do know that you can get a pretty wide tire under there with the trailing arm set up.

You might ask for a second opinion in the "Racing and high performance" forum.

This would be my choice-

Porterbuilt Tubular/Adjustable Trailing Arm X-member

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
70stroker

Re: 70gmc leaf to coil question

Ya i have been meaning to ask nate if he seels the arms for coils, or is it just bags. What should i do about a track bar? do they make a non weld in kit.
70stroker is offline   Reply With Quote