The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2003, 10:58 PM   #1
Mountain Man

Inner cab painting questions

I got a really good deal on some automotive paint today at a clearance sale. What I have decided to do is to repaint the inside of my cab. The paint says that it is designed to go directly over the current finish. I would like to sand and scuff the paint on the inside of my cab. I have some scratches that need repair.

What type of sand paper should I be using?, and is there special automotive masking tape I should be using when masking the glass?. I am going to gut my interior in the spring and paint, and then reassemble.
A/C dash
Factory tilt
350 / 350 power train - with Edelbrock components.
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 11:34 PM   #2
Riles72

if there's an area that there are no scratches, a scotch brite pad will do the trick. As far as scratched areas, a commercial wet or dry sandpaper you can get in automotive stores will work great. Since you're going to gut it all, I'd wetsand most of it, just to ensure a smoothe surface before I painted. You might also be able to get the scratches out with the scotch brite pad...it just depends. Scotch briteing is definitely the easier way out.

As far as taping the windshield off, any commercial masking tape that is available will do the job. Just tape some paper over the most of it...just make sure it doesn't come loose and mess the new paint up.

Also, be sure to wipe it down with an automotive refinishes prep-sol cleaner before you paint, and wipe the surface down with a tack-rag to get all the loose dirt that the cleaner didn't get off.

Be sure to post pics after you get it done!

Riley
sunset Orange Metallic paint
Early Classic 2.5/4 drop
eagle series 211 wheels
Riles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:10 AM   #3
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Here's one of those live and learn tips:

The best tip I can offer is about your spray gun. Something you don't think of until it's too late is that when spraying the roof, the gun is tilted at such an angle, the pickup tube inside ends up sucking air instead of paint. (if your gun is like mine)

Before beginning, check this out. You will have to either rotate the tube if possible or bend it.

Just did mine this past summer and learned the hard way.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:40 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I used steel wool on mine.It worked great but I live in an apartment and just sprayed it with Testors and Rustoleum.I replaced the dash pad and pedals and rebuilt the heater control too.Now my interior is much better.Hopefully I can replace the seats in the spring.Remember to clean all the dust and maybe use some body glaze on the small dings.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote