The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
j_cst_10

LMC body panels?

Well this spring I am going to buy some much needed cab/body panels and I was looking through LMC and the prices almost seem too low. If I am going to go through all of this welding and labor I don't want to have to do it again down the line.

Are the panels from LMC any good or is there a better supplier that you recommend.

Thanks and here's the ride. This spring the parts over the last couple years I have been hording are going on: brothers 3-4 lowering kit, 4 spd manual, heads, carb, cam, intake,15x8 truck rally's, 5 lug disc brake front end, 5 lug rear end, and power brake booster among a few others.

I am going to be busy.

j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Jurassic-1

Re: LMC body panels?

I use Broyhers Truck parts. When I compared them to others they had a better fit and finish.They may be a few bucks more but well worth it.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

It's been said here on the board that repop body panels are stamped out of thinner steel than originals and don't fit as well. You might be better off hitting the wrecking yards for original ones even if you have to work out some small dents. JMHO.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
70cst

Hey j_cst_10 nice lookin truck.

You might give WES a call at Classic Hearbeat and ask him. I realize he is in Wa. but he will offer you some good advice and he knows his stuff. Good Luck.

Toll Free 888-338-2502 / Phone or Fax 360-570-1860 / WEHEPP@comcast.net

OR

Tro Pro Automotive
Welcome to Tri-Pro Automotive
Tri-Pro Automotive is your best source for consistently high quality rust repair panels, GM licensed restoration parts, "Triple-Nickel" chrome plated bumpers, steel cowl induction hoods and much more. We specialize in classic and late model rust repair panels for trucks, vans, SUVs and select cars. We bring our years of experience to you. We offer competitive pricing, quick shipping, and a friendly, knowledgeable sales staff available Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm EST @ (866)754-9112 or by e-mail anytime at mail@tri-proautomotive.com.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 01-05-2010 at 12:05 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
blackbolt

the guy I buy my parts from he gets them from this place, If I remember correctly they carry Tri-Plus sheet metal

http://www.kennystrucks.com/Contact.asp
blackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
mcbassin
Still Learning

I just installed some LMC rockers and passenger lower pillar (Father and Son thread in sig below, last couple pages). The panels require some custom fitting on our truck. I don't know if the trucks are that different or the panels but both sides came up a little off where the rocker and rear of the cab meet. As far as the thickness they are real close if not exactly the same thickness. I will measure them tomorrow. The driver side was an original and I can measure it against the new ones. BTW, good luck finding a good rocker in any salvage! unless you go to the desert I doubt you will fin any, plus it will be a PITA cutting one off in tact. I would be interested in what you find out about the best repops.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:16 AM   #7
Smallz72project

I havent bought any panels from LMC thus far, but I did buy some from Good Mark Industries. They seem to be pretty good, I will know more once I start fitting them in a couple weeks, but gauge and overall finish seems decent. Also bought my outer floor extensions from Classic Heartbeat. Amazing prices and its Tri Plus, I enjoyed dealing with them and believe they will have my business again in the future.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #8
Racinaround

Pitching in My two and a 1/2 cents
I think I have bought a panel from each place listed so far
I think there all crap but it is are only choice
I have used LMC its OK, I have had to take a body hammer to most of there stuff to finish the bend the machines didnt but useable
Goodmarks stuff is probley from the same part of china I got some goood and some bad from them.
My only dealing with Brothers was on Elcamino Parts. Fenders, doors skin and Quarters all from them and nothing lined up and i had make the door skins longer??
I think thay all can sell good stuff and bad.
Its were they get it thats the problem.
Plus Yes it is thinner but its never been a problem.
The big thing is the ecoat (the black primer) sand that crap off and use a dp 40 or 60 or something like that cause the ecoat will only protect the fender from rust for the boat ride over to here.
1971 Chevelle
2008 Dodge HD3500 Tow Rig
Racinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
mbgmike

LMC purchases their panels from the same places everyone else does like most vendors do. Some after market parts fit better than others depending on part and Manufacturer. To say they are ALL crap is not at all true. This subject comes up all the time. As far as guage? some companies sell panels that are thinner and some are mfg same guage and some even a little thicker. Remember parts that are deep drawn and/ or stamped get thinner in some areas. Even OEM parts are that way. People are always saying how thick the gauge is but where are the measuring from?
We refund money on any body panel we sell and the customer is not happy with it. We sell only the best availible on the market today. Many other companies do to.
You also do not have to take the E-coat off to paint the part if its true E-coat. That is what people used to think a long time ago cause some of the earlier parts where painted with a crappy black paint to stop it from rusting in transit. Its a quality paint made by PPG and other manufacturers. It just needs to be scuffed up and then you can spray an epoxy primer over it. Some of the parts if you try and take of the ecoat you risk getting into the galvanized coating thats under it depending on part.
Before we started selling panels we purchased panels from many Mfg's to see what the quality was. Then we buy from the good ones.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
LMC purchases their panels from the same places everyone else does like most vendors do. Some after market parts fit better than others depending on part and Manufacturer. To say they are ALL crap is not at all true. This subject comes up all the time. As far as guage? some companies sell panels that are thinner and some are mfg same guage and some even a little thicker. Remember parts that are deep drawn and/ or stamped get thinner in some areas. Even OEM parts are that way. People are always saying how thick the gauge is but where are the measuring from?
We refund money on any body panel we sell and the customer is not happy with it. We sell only the best availible on the market today. Many other companies do to.
You also do not have to take the E-coat off to paint the part if its true E-coat. That is what people used to think a long time ago cause some of the earlier parts where painted with a crappy black paint to stop it from rusting in transit. Its a quality paint made by PPG and other manufacturers. It just needs to be scuffed up and then you can spray an epoxy primer over it. Some of the parts if you try and take of the ecoat you risk getting into the galvanized coating thats under it depending on part.
Before we started selling panels we purchased panels from many Mfg's to see what the quality was. Then we buy from the good ones.
Good info mbgmike...thanks.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 01-05-2010 at 02:58 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
j_cst_10

This is all very good info. I am going to be buying a new truck worth of sheet metal by the time this is said and done.

Floor sections, rockers, bedside patch panels, a door patch panel here and there and the last thing I want to be doing is putting tons of additional work in or worse re-doing patch panels in a couple years.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
tonypaul

I got two front fenders from LMC and they fit great. Granted I didnt use the same spacers that was on the orginal fenders. It took some time to get lined up right but thats just a part of what you have to deal with when you do these types of projects. I will be purchasing a new tailgate from them really soon, I hope I that it fits as good as the fenders.
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
mbgmike

Just for info for all guys who like to pay a higher price for the same parts like LMC You can now buy Classic car and Truck parts from LKQ Keystone.

http://keystone.goodmarkindustries.com/

next thing you know LKQ will buy Goodmark out to They also just bought Greenleaf last year. Pretty soon all you will be able to buy from is LKQ

Last edited by mbgmike; 01-05-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
oldblue72c10
LIGHT' EM UP!!!!!!!!!!

Kennys trucks are great reliable part new and used http://www.kennystrucks.com/News.asp

BONDO IS YOUR FRIEND WOULD YOU EVER USE YOUR FRIEND

1972 custom 10 longbed
current 360 building a racing 355
oldblue72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue72c10 View Post
Kennys trucks are great reliable part new and used http://www.kennystrucks.com/News.asp

I agree 100% been their several times
Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

That's the first truck I've seen that looks like the color mine is supposed to be...is that 1970 Medium Green or something later that just looks right in the photo?

(I hope this doesn't count as highjacking the thread)

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
Mowdigger

Can anyone tell me what the difference is betweeen their standard and best quality fenders are at this website?
Mowdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #18
j_cst_10

I'm not sure if that is the original color on my truck. The dashboard and places that have flaked off have an uglier green. I have seen 669-70 trucks with the same green but I am not sure of the name of it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #19
rob32472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowdigger View Post
Can anyone tell me what the difference is betweeen their standard and best quality fenders are at this website?
the lines are suppose to crisper, and overall fit better
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote