The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
snowblind

HEI - Rebuild or replace with new

My HEI gave up the ghost last night. I have 12v to the dizzy but no spark at the plugs. It's probably the coil or the module that has failed. From what I've read it's best to replace the cap, rotor, coil and module all at the same time but Napa wants close to $150 for those parts.

So... looking at Summit I can get a rebuild/upgrade kit for $72 or an entirely new Summit HEI distributor for $92 or one of the "Skip White" ones for $55.

Is there any reason to rebuild the stock unit versus buying a new one?

Thanks.

'72 Jimmy Build
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
1949gmc

Re: HEI - Rebuild or replace with new

I'd say, unless you have a reason to replace the entire distributor, just go for the upgrade. That way you don't have to reset the timing... not that resetting the timing is hard, but if you don't have a timing light, it's difficult to do. Of course, 55 beans for a new HEI is hard to beat.
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949gmc View Post
I'd say, unless you have a reason to replace the entire distributor, just go for the upgrade. That way you don't have to reset the timing... not that resetting the timing is hard, but if you don't have a timing light, it's difficult to do. Of course, 55 beans for a new HEI is hard to beat.
My thoughts also... I've read some install instructions that say you can sometimes get it perfect by marking the position of the old rotor and vac advance before removal and then matching them on install. We all know how that could go though!

I would need to buy a timing light but then I would have one so it's not like money wasted.

'72 Jimmy Build
Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
packers05

just time it by ear ,just as good as a light if you are patient, my engine has no timing pointer and it runs like mother.
packers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
snowblind

I ordered a new dizzy and a rebuild kit from Skip White. Prices have come down an the dizzy was less than $50 and the kit was $25 for cap, rotor, coil and module. I figure I 'll swap the rebuild stuff into my old GM unit first and then put in the new dizzy when the weather warms up.

I will report back after the weekend.

'72 Jimmy Build
Old 01-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

There are two possibilities for your NO SPARK issue. #1, the module inside the dizzy went bad---that would be my first choice and by far the easiest to change out. Remember to put a coating of Die-Electric grease under the module. #2 The pick up coil at the base of the dizzy (inside the cap) can go bad---been there, seen that. This will require the dizzy to be pulled from the engine and the center shaft pulled out of the housing. I would try this ONLY if the module changeout does NOT work. As for the rest of the dizzy parts, I would consider the cap and rotor while you are there.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
There are two possibilities for your NO SPARK issue. #1, the module inside the dizzy went bad---that would be my first choice and by far the easiest to change out. Remember to put a coating of Die-Electric grease under the module. #2 The pick up coil at the base of the dizzy (inside the cap) can go bad---been there, seen that. This will require the dizzy to be pulled from the engine and the center shaft pulled out of the housing. I would try this ONLY if the module changeout does NOT work. As for the rest of the dizzy parts, I would consider the cap and rotor while you are there.
There are more that 2 reasons for no spark. Bad coil or busted carbon button just to name a couple more.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 01-06-2010 at 09:15 PM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
BAGNDRAGIT
Just Not Low Enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers05 View Post
just time it by ear ,just as good as a light if you are patient, my engine has no timing pointer and it runs like mother.
problem with that is not everyone can do that, i did it with mine, and yes it screams, but there are more factors than just timing. like carb adjustment.

but if your up to it, go for it, once you do it you will be invaluable in a situation as such, as i have been lol.
1967 Chevy C-10 Shortbox Bagged 327 4spd
Previous:
1971 Chevy C-10 Short Sep I6 Auto (Traded)
1973 Chevy C-20 *THE REDNECK BATTLE TRUCK*
2001 Chevy Silverado 2Dr 5.3L Shortbox. R.I.P.
1969 Volkswagen Bug
This is my first meeting, I have a horsepower problem.
BAGNDRAGIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
67slammer

at our shop we have used the hei distributors off ebay. we have been buying them for $51 shipped to the door and they work great. its not worth rebuilding one when you can buy new that cheap. mike
Old 01-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
snowblind

OK...

The new distributor is in. I got it started and it idles OK but stumbles when you try to drive. It doesn't die but it runs very poorly.

Seems like it's running best with the dizzy rotated clockwise until the vac canister almost hits the trans dipstick... and I think it might benefit from MORE turning. If I rotate counterclockwise it quickly starts to backfire on one cylinder on the passenger side.

Do I need to pull the dizzy and put it in with the housing rotated to give more clockwise adjustment? The rotor on the new dizzy went in a little "off" in that it dropped in a few degrees more "clockwise" than the original.

'72 Jimmy Build
Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Camaro_nut2001
Chevy Lover Till The End.

Hello, you could pull it out and set it back a tooth or you could just move your plug wires back one. I think it would be easier to move the wires. JMO.
Camaro_nut2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_nut2001 View Post
Hello, you could pull it out and set it back a tooth or you could just move your plug wires back one. I think it would be easier to move the wires. JMO.
So I would "rotate" the plug wires clockwise?

That's great advise. I'm just trying to smooth it out a bit so I can drive and get a timing light.

'72 Jimmy Build
Old 01-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #13
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
So I would "rotate" the plug wires clockwise?

That's great advise. I'm just trying to smooth it out a bit so I can drive and get a timing light.
Move the rotor to the correct spot and be done with it, it isn't that hard an it avoids hassles down the road when someone is trying to figure out which wire is #1.

It isn't that hard to do it right and doing it any other way is just flat being lazy.

Usually before I pull a distributor I will mark the location of the rotor an mark the location of the advance canister.

When I put the distributor back I line the rotor up with the mark and the advance up close to it's mark and set it in. If it doesn't drop I will crank the engine over and let the shaft drop down on the oil pump drive. Then usually I'll bump it over so the Timing marks are lined up and set the distributor so that the rotor is at number one, If I miss, I pull it out and move it a tooth. And repeat. No biggie, Rome wasn't built in a day and a few more minutes won't kill me if I have it right.

I've got one of the HEIs that Skip White sells on Ebay and it was one of the best things I did to my 71. It makes all the world of a difference on starting the engine and I feel like I picked up noticeable gas mileage. That means between one and two mpg but that is noticeable on our trucks.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Usually before I pull a distributor I will mark the location of the rotor an mark the location of the advance canister.

When I put the distributor back I line the rotor up with the mark and the advance up close to it's mark and set it in. If it doesn't drop I will crank the engine over and let the shaft drop down on the oil pump drive.
I did this but when I dropped in the new dizzy the rotor rotated a little past the marks I had set up, taking away some of my clockwise rotation. I was scared of cranking the engine with the gears not properly meshed.

I moved the wires and it gave me room to play and get it to run a little better. There may even be enough adjustment with the wires in the correct place.

I need to get a timing light.

'72 Jimmy Build

Last edited by snowblind; 01-13-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #15
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
I did this but when I dropped in the new dizzy the rotor rotated a little past the marks I had set up, taking away some of my clockwise rotation. I was scared of cranking the engine with the gears not properly meshed.

I moved the wires and it gave me room to play and get it to run a little better. There may even be enough adjustment with the wires in the correct place.

I need to get a timing light.
Yeah, you do need one. I really hate the timing by ear. It is good for the trip home, but it is not the right way. I personally would pull the dizzy out and rotate it and the oil pump shaft slightly and drop it back in. You will be happier in the end. Also when you time the engine, go for a little more advance to get the power curve up a little.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
snowblind

I ended up swinging by a local garage and had them check the timing. It looks like I had the dizzy in 2 or 3 teeth off so they pulled it out, pulled the #1 spark plug and had me bump over the engine with the starter 5 or 6 times. (I'm guessing this is a method of finding TDC?)

I was already running HEI before but it was "well used". With the new dizzy the truck runs and revs much smoother.

'72 Jimmy Build