The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Question insturment panel sheetmetal question

i have a speedwarning cluster, a tach cluster and a vacuum guage cluster. i'm going to combine the three of them into one and need the sheetmetal punched so the tach and vacuum guage will work with the speedwarning. i had it done to another cluster many years ago by golden state when seth daulton still owned it. now golden state is under different ownership and i'm not sure who to have do the work. i'm hoping somebody here might have a suggestion, thanks for your help.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:26 PM   #2
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

I'm not sure just how big they go, but I've seen hole saws up to 4". I am going to have to make an instrument cluster for the F@rd project in my sig, I'm planning on using a sheet of alluminum plate that I have, and using a hole saw and saber saw combined with a die grinder to cut the nescessary holes in it for guages from a 68 cutlass.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

If you know any electricians you might check with them, they should have a set of chassis punches, I picked up a full set of Greenllee punches a few years ago at a swapmeet, they come in very handy. If you cant find anyone around you I could send you the punch and just mail it back when your done.
BLAZERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:56 PM   #4
GMCPaul

Jerry if you contact us Monday I can get your metal back on the speedwarning punched to accept a tach with no danger of the speedwarning stud being damaged as the company I would send it to already as the tooling with a opening present so when back case is set on it and its punched the stud for speedwarning does not get damaged. There are 2 draw backs though, they only punch them when they have 50 or more to do ( about 4-5 times a year ) and this company does not have the tooling to punch the vacuum opening.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 03:10 PM   #5
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

I think that Mothers and TruckandCar shop both sell just the metal backing plates with the holes already stamped in. I got one from mothers for my tach and it was really reasonable. I think a couple of other vendors do the same. Good luck, Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 03:31 PM   #6
GMCPaul

red71cheyenne we carry those also but they will not work with a speedwarning speedometer as there is a insulated stud on the back of a speedwarning case that is not present on any of the other backs for these instrument bezels. If you look at a printed circuit for any of the dash bezels whether its a idiot light one, gauge , or gauge tach you will see a small round opening to the left of the speedo where this stud is on a speedwarning. Everyone we have ever spoken with exception of one person as never been able to remove and reinstall this stud again on one. Seth at Golden State at one time contracted a individual in Chicago to reproduce this stud and its retainer, 50 were done and all sold when he went to recontact this individual the person had moved on. So basicly now if you have a speedwarning and want it to appear factory stock with a tach you need to have the back punched out.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Thumbs up

thank you to all who responded, i really appreciate your effort.
GMCPaul, i'll be in touch with you in the next few days
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Cluster

If I understand you right, you have all three clusters, then just use the one with the speed warning in it and buy a plastic lens for the tach and vacume gauges, look at all the metal backs and you should be able to cut them out with not to much trouble.
I installed a tach,speed warning buzzer, and clock in mine.

I read you post again and you state you have the clusters for all three. Then use the insert for the vacuum gauge cluster, it should be cut already, then cut the opening for the tach with snipes Then use back metal peice for the tach and drill a hole in the back of it for the speed warning cable and use the front bezal for the speed warning cluster so your knob will be there.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 01-26-2003 at 06:15 PM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote