The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
billsc30

disc brakes for C-30

i have a 68 C-30 i was wondering what i can use to convert this truck to disc brakes at all four wheels. the front is stock drum and the rear end is out of a 76 chev motor home. I was told it was called a"wide trac" what ever that is. anyone have any suggestions on where to find these parts? i am also looking for a 68 horn button. thanks,
billsc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: disc brakes for C-30

I would need more info on your axle, but check out Blackbirds Customs-LINK

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
billsc30

i did some digging and found out thatthe axle in this truck is actually a dana 70-hd . does that help at all? i am still trying to dig my way down to the serial number on the axle tube. if you need any other numbers i will try to find them. by the way , the link you sen was really useful. thanks!! billsc30
billsc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsc30 View Post
i have a 68 C-30 i was wondering what i can use to convert this truck to disc brakes at all four wheels. the front is stock drum and the rear end is out of a 76 chev motor home. I was told it was called a"wide trac" what ever that is. anyone have any suggestions on where to find these parts? i am also looking for a 68 horn button. thanks,
Bill,
All C30 front suspension parts are the same as C20, except they added a hub extension for the positive offset on the dually front wheel, the hub itself is the same part though.

This info comes in handy when looking for front end parts because they often are listed as C20 only when in reality C30 stuff is the same in these years........so to answer your question about the disc brakes. there is no one making a direct bolt on '63-'70, C20-30 disc brake spindle, only C10.

Here's what u need: purchase a spindle from a 73-87 C20 or 30 drop or stock height then replace your ball joints with the same 73-87 (they have a larger tapered stud than the old ones.) These will bolt directly to your '63-'70 control arms...Your almost done; the tie rod end on the newer spindle is also larger, so you will need to get an adapter for the end to work.

Not sure about the rear but fabbing up caliper brackets isn't really difficult if you can't find some ....btw wide trac refers to the two different width dually rear ends early chevy's used
Attached Images

RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
Bill,
All C30 front suspension parts are the same as C20, except they added a hub extension for the positive offset on the dually front wheel, the hub itself is the same part though.

This info comes in handy when looking for front end parts because they often are listed as C20 only when in reality C30 stuff is the same in these years........so to answer your question about the disc brakes. there is no one making a direct bolt on '63-'70, C20-30 disc brake spindle, only C10.

Here's what u need: purchase a spindle from a 73-87 C20 or 30 drop or stock height then replace your ball joints with the same 73-87 (they have a larger tapered stud than the old ones.) These will bolt directly to your '63-'70 control arms...Your almost done; the tie rod end on the newer spindle is also larger, so you will need to get an adapter for the end to work.

Not sure about the rear but fabbing up caliper brackets isn't really difficult if you can't find some ....btw wide trac refers to the two different width dually rear ends early chevy's used
If they're this close in procedure to their 1/2 ton counterparts disc swaps, you can most likely use the entire steering set-up from the steering box, tie-rods, & draglink & not need the adapters.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If they're this close in procedure to their 1/2 ton counterparts disc swaps, you can most likely use the entire steering set-up from the steering box, tie-rods, & draglink & not need the adapters.
Scott,

Almost,....the there are distinct differences in that the lower control arm is different as well as the spindles (ball joint mount on all years ....so if you want to stay with the 8 lug wheel pattern u have to use a 3/4 - 1 ton spindle (larger ball joints as well as bearings) and since no one makes the '63-'70 spindle set up for disc brake for 3/4 -1 ton u have to go to later '73 up stuff to get disc and 8 lug...believe me I've thought of every option and this is the only way.

Cpp has the adapter which is just the adjuster sleeve with two different size thread/bolt patterns on each end. (I have an opinion about CPP but would rather have you try deal with that on your own)

Recently companies have introduced a 3/4 to 1/2 ton conversion spindle w/disc brake mount for the 63-70 trucks this is great if u don't have a dually and don't need 8 lug wheels the kit comes with hubs I believe in 5 and 6 lug versions. This is basically a 1/2 ton spindle with the ball joint tapered stud holes enlarged to 3/4- 1 ton diameter ....so it is truly an easy swap...as u can use all of your original parts including the ball joints.

Apparently there is not enough demand for a 63-70 3/4 1 ton disc brake spindle direct bolt on if there was it would be on my dually!!!!

If you happen to have a donor truck (73-87) everything will bolt right up including the cross member if you drill two additional holes....i had all these parts but since im going to drop spindle's anyway; the amount of labor to remove and replace all those parts and purchasing all new wear parts just wasn't worth the trouble.....ok im going to shut up now before i start to confuse myself...............where did i leave my beer???.....Rushnbobo......
Attached Images

RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
Scott,

Almost,....the there are distinct differences in that the lower control arm is different as well as the spindles (ball joint mount on all years ....so if you want to stay with the 8 lug wheel pattern u have to use a 3/4 - 1 ton spindle (larger ball joints as well as bearings) and since no one makes the '63-'70 spindle set up for disc brake for 3/4 -1 ton u have to go to later '73 up stuff to get disc and 8 lug...believe me I've thought of every option and this is the only way.

Cpp has the adapter which is just the adjuster sleeve with two different size thread/bolt patterns on each end. (I have an opinion about CPP but would rather have you try deal with that on your own)

Recently companies have introduced a 3/4 to 1/2 ton conversion spindle w/disc brake mount for the 63-70 trucks this is great if u don't have a dually and don't need 8 lug wheels the kit comes with hubs I believe in 5 and 6 lug versions. This is basically a 1/2 ton spindle with the ball joint tapered stud holes enlarged to 3/4- 1 ton diameter ....so it is truly an easy swap...as u can use all of your original parts including the ball joints.

Apparently there is not enough demand for a 63-70 3/4 1 ton disc brake spindle direct bolt on if there was it would be on my dually!!!!

If you happen to have a donor truck (73-87) everything will bolt right up including the cross member if you drill two additional holes....i had all these parts but since im going to drop spindle's anyway; the amount of labor to remove and replace all those parts and purchasing all new wear parts just wasn't worth the trouble.....ok im going to shut up now before i start to confuse myself...............where did i leave my beer???.....Rushnbobo......
I was clear as mud.... What I meant was instead of using tie-rod adapters, swap the entire post-73 C20/30 steering assembly. Post 73 were all disc set-ups; parts are easier to find & typically cheaper.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-25-2010 at 04:00 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote