The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

LS swap Q's

OK guys, I searched and didnt find a definate answer to my question. IF, I am going to use a 700r4 transmission, will it matter if I get a computer for my 6.0 that is for a manual or auto? Being that I am going to have someone take the rear 02s and that sort of stuff off the ECU, would it matter if it was a manual or auto ecu?

Also, has anyone swapped the LS engine in and kept the factory A/C compressor location? if so, what mounts and compressor did you use? Thanks ahead of time fellas.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
menace121978

Re: LS swap Q's

if i'm not mistaken, you can use either one. you'll just need the ecu that controls the tranny out of your truck. so theoretically you'll have 2 ecu's. 1 for motor and 1 for tranny.

man, i'm not 100% sure though and i hate giving misinformation. your best bet is either ls1truck or performance truck in the conversion section. great helpful guys over there. not as great as here but they get the job done

on the mounts... you already know the only ones that there's even a chance of the stock a/c compressor clearing. try calling them or wait for me to find out from a fellow board member. BRP wasnt real informitive over the phone and i figured it would be easier if someone just went over there rather than me having to ship'em my compressor to test fit it.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
STOCKISH

I saw a link Bob posted for them (BRP) and it showed the stock compressor in the stock location so I guess they're good to go. I was just trying to justify $500 for mounts. Again,, I dont mind spending the cash if the part is right, just trying to find any other possible avenues as well.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Thealien

There are links to a couple of AC compressor relocation brackets in the LS link in my signature.

If you want to stay with a 700R4 make sure you use drive by cable (although I did see an ingeneous installation where someone hooked the TV cable to the drive by wire pedal, it was pretty slick)
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
menace121978

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
I saw a link Bob posted for them (BRP) and it showed the stock compressor in the stock location so I guess they're good to go. I was just trying to justify $500 for mounts. Again,, I dont mind spending the cash if the part is right, just trying to find any other possible avenues as well.

if you look closely there isnt a compressor hooked up. http://www.brphotrods.com/Truck%20LS1.html

my thought was by the time you buy the relocation kit, compressor, and all the mounts you'd be right around 4-5 hundred anyways.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
STOCKISH

AAAH, good eyes my man. Yeah, I will def. buy the brackets from them if we get verification from BRP that a stock compressor will fit. Thanks again. It looked to me like the stock compressor fit ok but needed to notch the frame for the lines. Maybe that wont be too bad after all. Also, there is a A/C shop here in town that makes manifold lines pretty cheap, maybe they would be an option also.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
SquareOne

What about the LS Engine Mount Kit that Welder Series offers? Has anyone tried that. Looks like it might give the height needed, but the part that touches the frame seems a little flimsy to me. The price may make it worth investigating.
SquareOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
STOCKISH

Wow, this is an old post. Thanks for the info man, but the engine is in the truck and will be running soon! Thanks again though.