The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
glider_6969

VIN troubles solved

What a pain our Canadian MTO dept is (our MTO is your DOT). I found out something new when I went to get an ownership transfer of my 68. It has been a while since I've gone through this with a (used) vehicle. I soon found out that they would not do a transfer until I had the truck appraised, that's because the truck is over 20 years old and not in their (how much tax can we charge you book). So I get a hold of a reputable classic vehicle apprasier and sure enough when he checks the VIN and the owner ship, they don't match, that was just great (NOT). Lucky I have known the seller for a long time. What had happened, not even known by the seller until I showed him a picture of the VIN plate compared to the owner ship papers. When he had first bought this truck it was green,then painted black, and of course went to get the ownership updated and at that time a mistake was made when they(MTO) update the paperwork. So of coarse he had to go get it fixed before I could do what I had to do. Get this, he had explained what he thought could have happened to the MTO, and yes they did admit that a mistake must have been made (that's rare them wrong) because they were able to go back in the system and find the original with the current owners name and tags attached but the wouldn't fix it. I can only imagine what he wanted to tell them. Then told him he must not get a letter from a GM Dealership confirming that the numbers matched the truck. Can you imagine having to do this. Anyway everthing finally got straightened out and I officially own my truck, even though I've had it for about 3 months. By the way I've taken photo copies of everything and locked it up for that just in case day.
glider_6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
70cst

Re: VIN troubles solved

WOW...what a pain in the left ear lobe. I am glad that you were able to get it all fixed.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
koolky
67-72 Addicted

Re: VIN troubles solved

Ha, the good old MTO. I have a ownership VIN set that go togeather. Seems the MTO forgot a #1 right in the middle. No big deal though because i scraped the truck.