The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
1971gmcshortbed

Getting traction with leaf springs.

Hello folks, my build is underway and i'm a tad worried about traction/wheel hop with leaf springs. I plan to have a few ponies under the hood and I think leaf springs are not ideal. I am on a semi-budget so I would like to keep the springs.
Has anyone ran into this? A fabricator today told me he can build a bar that attaches to the diff to keep it from rotating. Anyone have any ideas?
1971gmcshortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Getting traction with leaf springs.

Is that fabricator talking about a bar with a shackle on the front, mounted to a crossmember? Unless this fabricator is working for real cheap, you could probably get a set of Cal-Tracs for the same or just a little more $$. The Cal-Tracs are about the best traction device for leaf springs.

http://www.calvertracing.com/caltracs.php
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Yeah cal tracs are your best bet.What hes talking about is a torque arm/ladder bar it can work too but if your looking to drag race the truck it might not be legal in a street class.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

you could always try a set of old school traction bars..you can find them pretty cheap
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
69 longhorn

I am running a simple set of "old school" 30 dollar slapper bars on the longhorn ,& they work out fine on the street(just make sure that they are long enough to hit the eye of the spring).....if you are racing the truck, the Cal-Tracs will probably show you a little more. Crazy AL
Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
1LowToy

Ok I hate to give up the secrets of my old days of a lil bending of the rules at the dirt track.

I used a piece of flat stock from the center bolt, bolted inth the spring pack to the front of the spring and clamped near the front eye. That makes the front of the spring stay straight like a swing arm. Wheel hop is from the front of the spring buckling and allowing the the tire to lift.

We were not supposed to have any chasis modifications at the dirt track I raced at but once it was covered with dirt nobody could see it. I also added leafs to the spring to make it super stiff (13 leafs on the RR of a Ply Duster). Lowered it with blocks and added coilover shocks. No more wheel hop out of that. Only car in the claimer class to lift the left front wheel comming out of turns 2&4 that I know of. Thats some traction on dirt.

Last edited by 1LowToy; 01-17-2010 at 10:05 PM.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote