The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
ol Curt

Hurst SHfters

I am considering putting a Hurst Mastershift in my 66 C10 to replace my column shift. I am told they are ok shifters.
There is a lady on the HAMB who seems to know her stuff, but she says they are junk. She said to get a syncro loc or Comp Plus but I don't find them for our trucks. Am I missing something here?

I don't intend to do a lot of hard shifting...jut normal driving.

Last edited by ol Curt; 01-12-2010 at 12:22 AM.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Hurst SHfters

For a 3 speed shifter, the Mastershift is probably the best new shifter available on the market. According to the published pictures, it still has a full cage containing the shift mechanism, and stop bolts for 2nd and 3rd. The Indy shifter, Mystery shifter, and I assume the copy from Spectre are very simplistic by comparison. These are very similar to the old Valiant shifter, just a couple of arms hanging in the breeze, with a pin connected to the stick, which can select a hole in either shift arm by moving the stick around. The problem with this early design was a tendency to lock up if (when) anything went wrong.

The Hurst Dual Pattern Syncro/Loc was in a league of its own and a must have component in the early 60’s. Only well off kids could afford one, everyone else settled for a Mystery Shifter or an off brand. It had a spring loaded pivot plate that popped in a slot preventing high speed shifts into reverse. It also had two pins underneath. By removing one of the pins it was converted into a straight line shifter. It also had a dust cover under the mechanism. I'm pretty sure the Syncro/Loc was phased out somewhere near the end of the 60's when 4 speeds became more widely available at affordable costs, and having a floor shifted 3 speed wasn’t considered cool anymore. If you want a true Syncro/Loc you’ll need to shop eBay or some other source of used equipment.

The nice part of the Mastershift is you can change the stick to arrive at a comfortable knob height. None of the others show the mechanism in their product photos, just a stick and boot, so I’m assuming the stick isn’t removable.

For a daily driver, any of the shifters above will provide satisfactory service, but the Mastershift will be the least troublesome. I had one in my 83 C10 about 15 years ago and it worked fine.

The Competition Plus has always been a 4 speed only shifter, it was never available for 3 speeds.

You also have email.

Last edited by markeb01; 01-12-2010 at 02:45 AM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
G-REX

I just been looking around to put a mastershift in my 64,also.I had the shifter and stick stuck away for about 20 years.They have a fairly short throw,I've driven some of my others pretty hard,and had no problems.The only problem I have,is trying to find an installation kit for a 341 chevy tranny. hurst # 367 3112.Any help?
G-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
ol Curt

Hurst has them on their website...not cheap. If they have them, their vendors probably do too. I suspect Summitt and Jegs have the kits.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
G-REX

I was on hurst site,but no prices,maybe wrong site.How much is it and where did you find?If you don't mind.Thanks
G-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
ol Curt

G-Rex,
I found one on ebay for $98 today. I'll pass the seller on to you...he may have more.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hurst-shifters
Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-REX View Post
I was on hurst site,but no prices,maybe wrong site.How much is it and where did you find?If you don't mind.Thanks
They have them on sale for $168.00 must have been in wrong site

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-...r/default.html

We are still less at $150.00
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
ol Curt

I think he is looking for the mounting kit. Is that what you have Mike?
Although, I must not know how to search your site either. LOL
I used the search term Hurst and got nothing!

Last edited by ol Curt; 01-12-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
I think he is looking for the mounting kit. Is that what you have Mike?
Although, I must not know how to search your site either. LOL
I used the search term Hurst and got nothing!

We carry all hurst shifter products.
We do not have them on our online store yet. Its almost impossible to add everything we sell. We sell a large range of products

here is a link to what we sell

http://www.bumpandgrindgarage.com/PRODUCTS.html

if not in online store you can call, email ,fax, PM

Thanks
Mike
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote