The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
72K20
Slow Old Timer

How are saddle tanks supposed to be mounted?

I have a pair that originally came with my 72K20 but the PO removed them (not very carefully I might add). Is there a long bolt or rod that goes down through the middle of the tank and then up through the bed floor? Or how should they be mounted is maybe what I should ask?
72K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
68 50th

Re: How are saddle tanks supposed to be mounted?

My saddle tanks made by Travel Tanks was mounted with two long bolts through the tank on each one. Here's a couple pics from when I removed them.
Attached Images

1992 Silverado Sport Truck
1988 Silverado 2500 Ext Longbed 4x4
2001 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
1990 Chevrolet K3500
1965 Pontiac Grand Prix
1980 Z 28 350/4-speed/AC/T-top
1980 Camaro Coupe V6/3-speed
1979 Buick Century Wagon
68 50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
mrein3

Every one I've ever seen is like the ones pictured all the way from Sweden.
Like Mats I had to grind the heads off BOTH of my bolts in the bed to drop the tank. (It looks like Mats only had to grind one off)

After I had my tank leak fixed I had to get it mounted again.
First I reamed out the holes through the tank to clean out the rust, clay, sand, salt, and what ever else was in there.
I then tried to coat the inside of these holes with POR-15. I also coated the outside of the tank with POR-15.
Then I had to make new mounting bolts because I destroyed the heads on the old ones and didn't even attempt to unscrew the original fasteners. To do this I bought some 1/2" threaded rod and short 1/2" carriage bolts with the same thread. After a little measuring I cut the threaded rod to the length I needed and welded it to the carriage bolts. Then I just used 1/2" nuts and 1/2" fender washers under the tank to hold it in place.
It has been hangning there now a good 10 years.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
72K20
Slow Old Timer

Those are exactly the same tanks I have. I was just a little incredulous about hanging all that weight on two bolts but it obviously has worked well for you. Side topic, did you coat the inside of the tanks or treat them in any way? I've heard of something called Kreem or something like that is supposed to work well. Also, it does not appear as though these tanks have any type of sending units. Were they plumbed as secondaries to the main tank or how did you know when they were getting low (other than obvious)?

Thanks for the replies! Way cool to see this coming from Sweden, our trucks truly have global appeal!
72K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72K20 View Post
Those are exactly the same tanks I have. I was just a little incredulous about hanging all that weight on two bolts but it obviously has worked well for you. Side topic, did you coat the inside of the tanks or treat them in any way? I've heard of something called Kreem or something like that is supposed to work well. Also, it does not appear as though these tanks have any type of sending units. Were they plumbed as secondaries to the main tank or how did you know when they were getting low (other than obvious)?

Thanks for the replies! Way cool to see this coming from Sweden, our trucks truly have global appeal!
The inside of the tank I had repaired was treated but not by me. I dropped it off at the shop I used to work at because they have all the connections. The saddle tank was leaking and hadn't been used for a few years. The repair shop - working through my former boss - told me they could easily repair it but the inside should be coated because they noticed a lot of rust in there. The price was only a few bucks more so I had them do what ever they do for coating it.

I have a Blazer tank I've been meaning to install. It too now has been sitting probably too long. I figured I'd get the eastwoods kit and give that a try - if I ever get around to installing it.
Center City, MN
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
68 50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Every one I've ever seen is like the ones pictured all the way from Sweden.
Like Mats I had to grind the heads off BOTH of my bolts in the bed to drop the tank. (It looks like Mats only had to grind one off)
That was almost the only one bolt that I had to grind off when doing a frame off restoration on my truck, guess I should be lucky over that. I bought the truck in California 2005 and shipped it over here.

Quote:
Also, it does not appear as though these tanks have any type of sending units. Were they plumbed as secondaries to the main tank or how did you know when they were getting low (other than obvious)?

My tanks do actually have sending units, I can not remember how or if and they were connected.
The original and the two saddle tanks were plumbed together with a 3-way selector located on the floor on the left side of the seat.
The attached pic shows some details, lower part of the bolt, the 3-way selector and the sending unit.
Glad if this could be of any help and I assures you these trucks have global appeal
Attached Images

1992 Silverado Sport Truck
1988 Silverado 2500 Ext Longbed 4x4
2001 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
1990 Chevrolet K3500
1965 Pontiac Grand Prix
1980 Z 28 350/4-speed/AC/T-top
1980 Camaro Coupe V6/3-speed
1979 Buick Century Wagon
68 50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

My first '68 had the setup like the picture above. Two tank, sending units, a selector valve and I had a toggle switch to select the sender. Two bolts thru the floor and one little tab to the lower lip of the bedside, near the wheelwell.

My current one used a completely different mounting setup. It was a flat bar that bolted to the frame and a long bolt (like above) for the outer mount. It basically pulls the tank up to the underside of the bed. Tank has no sender either.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Those are exactly the same tanks I have. I was just a little incredulous about hanging all that weight on two bolts but it obviously has worked well for you.
That's exactly like tanks on my truck, and they have been there (and used) since I bought it nearly 33 years ago. No problem holding up the weight.

Quote:
Also, it does not appear as though these tanks have any type of sending units. Were they plumbed as secondaries to the main tank or how did you know when they were getting low (other than obvious)?
Like chevy_mike's '68, mine also have sending units wired to a 3-way switch under the dash. My selector valve is same as the one in 68 50th's picture.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 01-13-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
mrein3

Quote:

Sorry I didn't answer the sending unit part of the question. My tank had no sending unit. The previous owner said he simply ran the saddle tank until it was empty (truck starts bucking) then switch over to the seat tank which has an indication of fuel level. He said that way you always knew how much was in the saddle - some or none.

While I had my tank out I purchased a sending unit and fuel gauge from JC Whitney. Since I'm a chicken and was afraid of blowing myself up I filled the tank to the top with water then used a hole saw to cut a hole the size spec'ed in the gauge/sender instructions. I mounted the fuel gauge knee-knocker style under the ignition.
Attached Images

Center City, MN