The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

Help me out plz!!!

I got the truck ready to fire tonight and I gave it a few cranks and nothing happened. First thing I did was check to see if the fuel filter had fuel in it and it didn't. (I did go ahead and check the spark while I was at it and it was good). How can I check the fuel pump before I replace it? What else should I check? Do I put an air hose on the end of the fuel line and blow on it to see if the line is clogged some how?
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
3r!c84
Badass

Re: Help me out plz!!!

get a cup or a bottle and take the line off befor the filter and see if any gas comes out.then you will know u got a bad filter

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
Hubscrub
Cruzin

take the feed line to the pump from the tank loose see if any fuel is in the line if not either blow air into the tank itself (wrap air nozzle with a rag or something and blow into the filler hole) or take line loose at tank and blow into it. my last project this very thing happend to me the feed line had something in it and the air forced it out. if that checks out then take line off at carb and turn motor over and see if pump is pumping (this assuming you have a carb. not f.i.)
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
softballnrd27

I know the truck sat for a little while so it's got me leaning towards a clogged line but I will check all things mentioned starting with the filter. I have a clear fuel filter by the carb and it is not getting gas in it at all. I made sure it was on right. If I pull the line off should I feel any kind of puffs of air or anything like that coming from the fuel pump?
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I havent been following what youve done with this truck prior to this thread, or if i saw other threads then my alzheimers doesnt let me remember what i saw so did you have the distributor out? If that is set up wrong you will get no fuel and spark. The first time i swapped a motor i had the distributor out just enough for that to happen .You could pour gas in the carb and nothing. A buddy came over and moved the distributor to the right spot and it ran like a top.

The other thought is that you could take a air pistol and shoot air into the line from the carb back towards the tank. This will loosen any crap that is in the line to the pump . ig this cures it it would prolly be a good idea to drop and clean the tank and sock in it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

blow easy in the fuel lines, if there is a clog somewhere it'll hold some pressure and the lines aren't made to withstand 90-120psi. don't ask how I know this. lol
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
softballnrd27

It is a mechanical pump, and I am getting spark. I am going to troubleshoot it some more tomorrow and hopefully get it going this weekend.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Damien

If this is a fresh build, it will take a while to get the fuel from the tank to the pump then up to the carb. Fastest way is to pour some gas in the carb and let it run. It might take 2-3 tries before the fuel gets the bowls full so it will run on its own.

Check the fuel lines for brakes too. I had something chew a hole in the rubber hose off the tank on my blazer. found it after I changed the fuel pump and had to drag it inside.