The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Facetime

Trouble with driver window

I just put new rubber around the doors and top in hopes to cut down on the cold air entering during winter. IN doing so, I now have a much tighter seal around the glass. Good news until I went to roll my window down the first time and pulled the glass out of the lower rail inside the door. Got it all apart and realize the felt in the pillar at the front of the door was trashed. After looking at it, that pillar seems difficult to remove and subsequently replace the felt. Any one have any experience with this? Looks like rivets at top and bottom. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: Trouble with driver window

JMHO, but I believe you will have to pull that forward channel to clean out the old felt. It isn't really that hard, just the three screws along the front of the vent window and the brackets on the door itself. IIRC, I just pushed the new felt in place, don't think I even glued it. 3M weatherstrip glue if you want

But, if you can clean out the old felt with the channel in place, have at it

BTW, we have a pair of A-10's fly over our house all the time. They are out of Willow Grove Air Station, makes me feel real secure every time I seem them, being a grunt!
Nothing like air support Thank You

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 01-15-2010 at 01:39 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Facetime

Thanks for the reply. It looked the the entire felt and channel had to be removed due to the channel edges being rolled over the felt. I can get the felt from lmc but was weary of doing that if replacing the whole deal was going to get real extensive. It is my daily driver so i can't get too carried away without a relatively quick finish date.

BTW - I believe the Hogs out of Willow Grove will be replaced soon by F-15s. Not 100% sure on that though. Could get alot louder for you. Oh well.....sound of freedom is always good no matter how loud!! Cheers!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facetime View Post
Thanks for the reply. It looked the the entire felt and channel had to be removed due to the channel edges being rolled over the felt. I can get the felt from lmc but was weary of doing that if replacing the whole deal was going to get real extensive. It is my daily driver so i can't get too carried away without a relatively quick finish date.

BTW - I believe the Hogs out of Willow Grove will be replaced soon by F-15s. Not 100% sure on that though. Could get alot louder for you. Oh well.....sound of freedom is always good no matter how loud!! Cheers!
NO! Don't take out the chrome rolled edge, you'll be sorry It's just the felt channel, get the new part and you'll see what I'm talking about...should be a day job

Well, they want to shut down the whole base, and combine it with 3 other bases in the area. Still up in the air , so to speak Trust me, I wouldn't complain with the 15's here, just thought the A10's were cool! I admire you guys, always wanted to do that, but the Corps thought I was more suited with a M14

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Facetime

OK, thought that edge looked permanent. I just ordered the parts so I will wait and see what they look like. Wasn't bad getting the channel out, like you said, :10 min job since everything else was out. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facetime View Post
OK, thought that edge looked permanent. I just ordered the parts so I will wait and see what they look like. Wasn't bad getting the channel out, like you said, :10 min job since everything else was out. Thanks again for the help.
You may want to readjust your door, since the glass is now probably sitting tighter to the seal. The old one was worn out and the new one is thicker

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Facetime

Once it is all back together and the glass is back in I will take a look at it. That was probably what caused the whole problem in the first place. Oh well, a learning experience. Cheers!