The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Finish my truck as a longbed or make it a shortbed
Finish the truck as a longbed....it's so nice it will sell for good money as a longbed 12 35.29%
Swap to a shortbed and complete it as planned...it will sell for more money 12 35.29%
Do the shortbed swap and powdercoat the frame 1 2.94%
Do the shortbed swap and upgrade frame with porterbilt parts 2 5.88%
Do the shortbed swap, porterbilt parts, and LSx engine 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking for opinions for finishing my truck

I have had about 20 things happen lately that are going to lead to me selling my truck as soon as I complete it. I am not going to part it because 1) I want to finish it and have most of the parts. 2) I see how bad the market is for projects and parting out....and how nicely done vehicles still sell for decent money. The truck will be an all out show truck when completed, shaved with custom metal work, frame off nut and bolt restoration, and have some of the best products on the market on/in it. The interior will be custom as well with a custom dash, center console, and box behind the seat.

My dilemma is this: Everyone knows resale on a short bed is on average much better than a long bed. I am buying new sheetmetal and making a wood bed for my truck anyways...and I have a couple options for cheap shortbed frames locally....

If I made my truck into a shortbed I would have a nicely finished longbed frame, a nice metal bed for longbed, and front end parts from a 67-68...just need a cab and an engine/tranny combo (several cheap on my craigslist) and I have a good shop truck...so my options are...

Keep going as is and have a very nice longbed that I am going to sell....

Or...

Swap things out to a shortbed frame. Most likely would do the Porterbilt trailing arms and trailing arm crossover if I did the shortbed to even step it up another notch...maybe even tubular control arms.....

Or...

Step it up another notch and complete the show truck theme on the shortbed chassis with an LSx motor and use my current motor/tranny for my longbed shop truck (have a line on a decent deal on a truck with an LSx)

I know trucks/show cars aren't an investment. However, I have done well with the purchase of parts on this build and sale of other parts so I don't need a fortune to break even and at this point what I make selling the truck is a good chunk of change to pay off my wife's recent doctor bills, have in the bank in case of emergencies, and some will go to make the longbed cool

So mainly, I'm looking for advice from those that really watch the market and/or have sold full on show trucks recently. What will sell for more? Please don't make this into a longbed vs. shortbed debate...this is a which one makes me more money when I sell it.

If I go shortbed I will pay to have someone sandblast the frame. The next question would be powdercoat or not....is it worth the money?
I have lots of thoughts and no clear vision of what to do at this point other than to get this truck on the road one way or another by spring in time to show it a couple times and then advertise it for sale.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Looking for opinions for finishing my truck

The link to my build is in my signature and here's a photoshop skorp did

Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Sorry to hear you gotta get rid of it so soon Jonathon, but God and family first.....I truly think if you decide to finish it...move as planned but as a SWB....just my lousy 2 cents worth
Maybe just cut down you existing LWB frame........save the cash!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present

Last edited by gcburdic; 01-15-2010 at 11:43 PM.
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
jim zag
ENGINE BUILDER

I would take the shortest route to get it finished if you are going to sell it. A nice long bed can be used as a daily driver and can also haul more stuff. Use the parts you already have. You know the "NEXT GUY" will work you down on the price anyway!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Sorry to hear you gotta get rid of it so soon Jonathon, but God and family first.....I truly think if you decide to finish it...move as planned but as a SWB....just my lousy 2 cents worth
Maybe just cut down you existing LWB frame........save the cash!!
Well, since the LWB is a finished frame I planned to use it to make my shop truck to keep. I can justify having a truck to use around the house. I can't justify having a $50,000 show truck sitting in my garage.
As far as saving money, there's a SWB frame for $125 locally and I could always clean and paint myself as my longbed frame looks awesome how we did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim zag View Post
I would take the shortest route to get it finished if you are going to sell it. A nice long bed can be used as a daily driver and can also haul more stuff. Use the parts you already have. You know the "NEXT GUY" will work you down on the price anyway!
The problem with that is I'm not looking for daily driver prices when I sell it. This is a full on custom show truck. I truly feel it will be worthy of a magazine feature when done with some of the custom pieces and the quality we will be doing/attention to detail. I see trucks in magazines all the time that have a lot of small areas they should have paid more attention to.

Last edited by VA72C10; 01-16-2010 at 10:49 AM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
71 super

You will b e able to sell a short truck much quicker than a long truck. My own personal prejudice but long trucks are work trucks. You are appealing to a niche group in the first place with shaved drip rails and other custom sheet metal- basically you made it for yourself, and that is also going to make it hard to sell as everyone does not share your asthetic vision within the market long or short. Think about all the trucks people pick apart on here- someone somewhere made that vehicle for themselves, personal taste whatever and there are people waiting in line to question their thought process and taste. I read your entire build thread the other night and the work is very nice and will be a nice custom truck ,but I believe you need to finish simple to cut total investment easier to recoup and swap to a short truck for easier sale. This is just my opinion, sorry you have to sell and good luck.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
nuke1

i say, just get it done and sell it, money is more important than a truck just sitting there in pieces, i know.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
You will b e able to sell a short truck much quicker than a long truck. My own personal prejudice but long trucks are work trucks. You are appealing to a niche group in the first place with shaved drip rails and other custom sheet metal- basically you made it for yourself, and that is also going to make it hard to sell as everyone does not share your asthetic vision within the market long or short. Think about all the trucks people pick apart on here- someone somewhere made that vehicle for themselves, personal taste whatever and there are people waiting in line to question their thought process and taste. I read your entire build thread the other night and the work is very nice and will be a nice custom truck ,but I believe you need to finish simple to cut total investment easier to recoup and swap to a short truck for easier sale. This is just my opinion, sorry you have to sell and good luck.
Thanks for the well thought out response. I understand some of the touches are personal taste....I just have to find the right buyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
i say, just get it done and sell it, money is more important than a truck just sitting there in pieces, i know.
Oh, it will be finished one way or another....and hopefully sooner than later...
Old 01-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
leddzepp

A shortbed will be a much easier sell, and will bring more money than a long bed. That's a fact....especially if you are planning on making it a show truck. I voted for your second choice in the poll above. I am also a fan of keeping things simple. It will make it a lot easier for the next owner to add his own personal touches to it, as well as keep your out-of-pocket expenses down. Good luck!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul

Last edited by leddzepp; 01-16-2010 at 12:13 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
StinkyDogCB

If you need to sell your truck to pay for your wife's doctor bills, you might want to consider selling your truck "as-is." Regardless of the work you put into any truck, somebody will always find something that isn't to their linking and use it as leverage to push the price down. Don't waste your money and efforts... take your time with your truck restoration plans and buy a short bed truck when your wife is healthy and all her medical bills are paid off.
StinkyDogCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyDogCB View Post
If you need to sell your truck to pay for your wife's doctor bills, you might want to consider selling your truck "as-is." Regardless of the work you put into any truck, somebody will always find something that isn't to their linking and use it as leverage to push the price down. Don't waste your money and efforts... take your time with your truck restoration plans and buy a short bed truck when your wife is healthy and all her medical bills are paid off.
That's not an option as the truck as is is in a million pieces.
My wife is fine now and I can make payments on the bill.
The truck will be worth at least 3 times as much finished as in pieces
Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
nds1968

If your looking to get $50,000 for a truck it will need to be a shortbed in my opinion. Hope everything works out.
Nate

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
If your looking to get $50,000 for a truck it will need to be a shortbed in my opinion. Hope everything works out.
Nate
Wasn't thinking $50K, but that'd be nice

I do know that someone couldn't build the truck I'm doing for under 50K if they bought the parts retail.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If your looking to build it so you can sell it to recoup your cash outlay you may as well sell it now.

If you spend 50k to finish it, plan to get about half of that back.... if your lucky.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #15
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If your looking to build it so you can sell it to recoup your cash outlay you may as well sell it now.

If you spend 50k to finish it, plan to get about half of that back.... if your lucky.
I have my costs on a spreadsheet including current, future (parts needed) and labor- both to date and estimated by the shop doing it. I won't spend 50K to finish it.....only a few thousand left to finish it...everything else is waiting to go on the truck when ready.
If it were finished today, I would probably put it on ebay with a 35K reserve and see what happened....

I know I will need a specific buyer looking for a shaved truck. This thread was started to see what the consensus was on a shaved shortbed vs.shaved longbed selling for more...and whether it was worth the extra time/money