The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Drl

I was trying to figure out how to disable the daytime running lights on my 2000 . I went to this site, http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html.
Interesting reading on how they came about. Anyhow, it says that to disable my DRL's I need to push the dome light button 4 times within 6 seconds, this will turn them off until the next startup. Well I tried, and nothing happened. So, I think I am going to install amber bulbs instead. I don't mind the lights, but would prefer amber. Funny thing is, I have had more idiots pull out in front of me, as if they don't see me coming. Very strange. I mean RIGHT in front of me. I've slammed on the brakes more in this truck in the last month than all the years of driving other None DRL vehicles. I find that to be a direct conflict of the safety purpose of DRL's.
Maybe I'll just pull the bulbs.
Comments?
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
1971gmcshortbed

Re: Drl

Why dont you like them? The domelamp trick is to disable automatic headlamps. If you want the drl's off you can barely engage the park brake, the brake lamp will be on but the drl's will be off. The only way to disable them is to reprogram your bcm. Probably a dealer thing to do. You have to write a letter requesting them to be disabled and you have to have a good reason. They usually only do it for law enforcement. Or you can run a switch. I think they may be turn signals also so check that before you remove bulbs. I would just leave them on imho.
1971gmcshortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

I never liked them(DRL's)on anything, but I like cruising at dusk with my parking lights lit on the old stuff. Just a personal choice, I'm old school I guess. I don't like amber rear turn signals either. But, I do like these trucks enough to where I can over look them.

I just copy/paste this(below)from the above web site.
First part is how to disable the auto on headlights, second part is to remove DRL module, third part describes how to temp disable DRL's by pressing the dome light switch.

1999 Chevy/GMC full size trucks. (Also verified on 2000 model). Here is another way to disable the automatic headlights on a 1999 Chevy Silverado. This is very simple. Remove the radio. Push and twist the photoresister (the black light sensor on top of the dash by the windshield) so it goes beneath the dash. Reach back and disconnect the photoresister from the wire (it should just pop off). Push the wire back up throught the hole (it will be easier to work with this way). For the lights on the '99 chevy to stay off there must be resistence running through the circuit. One way to accomplish this is to run an LED through the circuit. I went to Radio Shack (which I hate doing) and purchased a 12 volt red LED light. I placed the wires in the two holes left by the removing the photoresister connecter at the end of the wire (if your lights don't stay off, swith the wires around in the hole). This is all you need to do. In addition though, I soldered the wires in place and then taped them. I also disassembled the photoresister (use x-acto knives and be careful) and was able to glue it back around the LED light (this keeps there from being a hole in the top of my dash, and makes the light look factory installed). This whole procedure cost me a little over $3.00 for the LED and about 1/2 hour of time.

1999 Chevy/GMC full size trucks + Suburban/Tahoe By the right driver's knee under the dash is a fairly elaborate aluminum finned heat sink. It can be removed by bending the two bottom retaining clips, sliding it down, and unplugging the electrical connector. Presto, chango, no more DRL's! Plus it makes a nice paperweight.

1999+ Chevy/GMC full size trucks
(and maybe some others), have a temporary disable. Engine running, push DOME OVERRIDE button 4 time within 6 seconds; and if you did it right, it will beep, and the DRLs will be disabled, until you turn the truck off. Half-assed, but better than nothing.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
JohnC

I run amber bulbs in mine. I think they look better.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
ed2552

If you want another parking lamp, and no-more DRL:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=18327
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Manbearpig

I think the dome override only works on 99-02s

03+ Just pull the DRL fuse
Old 01-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Thanks Ed, just what I will do. Looks good.
I will also disable the auto on feature for the headlights.
I already got rid of the amber rear turn signals.