The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Fat Mike

Mustang II Frontends

I'm still trying to find out as much as I can before I commit to buying and installing somthing I don't know to much about it? I am thinking of putting a Mustang II frontend on my 47 chevy but want to know if you can install gm rotors on it and do they have to be new? What year of parts off a pinto, or something else, are the same to install for the a-arms and spindels. Could I use any rotor if I change the bearings?
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Kateaux

Re: Mustang II Frontends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
I'm still trying to find out as much as I can before I commit to buying and installing somthing I don't know to much about it? I am thinking of putting a Mustang II frontend on my 47 chevy but want to know if you can install gm rotors on it and do they have to be new? What year of parts off a pinto, or something else, are the same to install for the a-arms and spindels. Could I use any rotor if I change the bearings?
Mike,
There are tons of options for the Mustang II front ends. Many brake combos are available. Mustang II parts 74-78 and Pinto 74-80 fit. Checkout www.speedwaymotors.com and you can see a lot of the brake options.

Kateaux
Old 01-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Atomsplitter

Mike,
There's a guy on the HAMB (Scott Danforth) that makes and sells crossmembers and complete IFS kits that use new or used S-10 parts to keep costs down. He has all kinds of suggestions and knowledge for the use of North American OEM parts (which Rack & Pinions to buy, Tie rods, etc.).

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=338344

I suggest you use the search function for this site as there have been lots of suff posted in the past. The onlu thing I'll add is DO NOT use a kit with the OEM Narrow lower a-arms.

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 01-16-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
robgrin

I bought a kit from a company called southern rods. It's a complete kit from hub to hub for $1,400. They use a HEIDTS cross member and hats, tubular control arms, cross drilled rotors, GM calipers, and power or manual steering rack. Something to think about; but you can put together any configuration you want like maybe you want to go coil overs instead of springs. Another good company to check out is total cost involved. Good luck
robgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
winchster

As an alternative you could put a front saddle from a C10 under it. Depends on how much money you want to throw at it. I am one that didn't have the money to spend on a full tilt kit from heidt's or fatman. I do kinda wish Mr. Danforth had been around when I did mine.

Support our troops, stand behind 'em or get in front of 'em.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?
winchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Fat Mike

Maybe I am asking the wrong question? I have an 86? s-10 truck frame and I am going to use a 96 ford mustang 8.8 rearend. Because I have rims that fit the mustang rearend I want to know can I change the rotors so I can get the same bolt pattern as the rearend. The rims came off a 2003 Monte Carlo and have the same bolt pattern as the ford rearend. So can I put 2003 Monte Carlo rotors on the s-10 spindels.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
57ExtCab

C # 3

just my .02

"Just cause I Drink alot of Bud that does'nt make me WISER"
57ExtCab is offline   Reply With Quote