The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Replacing a ball joint and found some suprises

Had a bad upper balljoint on the truck. While replacing the ball joint, I found this:

And the other side is just as rusty. Looks like I may have to pull this truck off the road soon and hold off on getting it painted. I plan on replacing everything on the front end of this truck. New upper/lower a-arms, poly bushings all around, and at that time I will install lowering spindles. I thought my suspension job was going to consist of just spindles and shackle/hangers.... obviously not.

What do you guys recommend? Those aftermarket tubular arms sure do look great, but are they worth the extra cost? Should I just look for an oem set? Are there any companies that offer a complete suspension package or must everything be bought separate? Also, any companies out there sell complete bolt sets for the front end? Those bolts can't be re-used, and hopefully they come off!

My plan was when I get home in May from Air Force basic training, finish the body work on the cab, swap my new bed on, and paint it. Obviously this is more important so I may have to get myself a cheap extra set of wheels to drive.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 01-16-2010 at 07:54 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Re: Replacing a ball joint and found some suprises

Crap that makes me shiver all over. I would poke the chassis all over to see if i could find some more. Some western or southern suspension would be on my list to find.. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
cableguy0

you should be able to find the whole deal in a junkyard. rebuild it and replace yours with it. I wouldnt be driving that truck too far. The strength of that control arm is gone and its prone to bending in half.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
leddzepp

If the control arm looks that bad, I'd be looking over the frame very carefully too.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
ratty 46

WOW ..... New England, salt on the roads & what a combo. You my man are very lucky that you saw this while you were in the driveway versus 75 MPH going down the road ...

Ratty 46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I echo the "check the frame" statements.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
benoit454
Chris

My dad's 84 is the same way, not as bad though but he found it when we worked on his 305 and he bought a new uca from lmc and still hasn't put it on yet. The pass. is rusty but no holes or that bad.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
chevymotocross

Frame is quite bad actually at the rear bumper area. When I take the bed off this spring I will have to figure out what to do. It really is ashame. This is the last winter this truck will see. After the body work and paint, this truck will be parked for the New England winters.

I already browsed through the local paper and found an ad for a complete front suspension setup out of an 82 c10 for $150. I'm going to take a look at it. If I can't find anything local, I was taking a look at this kit http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...rms/index.html Anyone have experience with that complete setup? I like how everything is ready to go with the ball joints etc. Also, it states with their tubular arms, you can run a 3'' drop spindle with a 15'' wheel no problem. That would be another plus. Instead of going with my intended 2.5'' spindle, I can go with a 3.

At $327 for the Upper Pair and $529 for the lower.... it is quite steep! At that price, I can find a complete and probably running c10 parts truck!

Last edited by chevymotocross; 01-17-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Unfortunatley, that should not be a surprise in Ct.!!!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
MAK191

You should get a complete front setup from a wrecking yard or classified ad. I removed my upper control arms on my 72 and they were good but the crossmember just behind it had holes rusted through. the "L" shaped part just behind the control arm likes to trap water and whatever(ie road salt) and eat it away. I had to use a different crossmember to be safe.
MAK191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
SBTork
Garage wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymotocross View Post
Frame is quite bad actually at the rear bumper area. When I take the bed off this spring I will have to figure out what to do. It really is ashame. This is the last winter this truck will see. After the body work and paint, this truck will be parked for the New England winters.

I already browsed through the local paper and found an ad for a complete front suspension setup out of an 82 c10 for $150. I'm going to take a look at it. If I can't find anything local, I was taking a look at this kit http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...rms/index.html Anyone have experience with that complete setup? I like how everything is ready to go with the ball joints etc. Also, it states with their tubular arms, you can run a 3'' drop spindle with a 15'' wheel no problem. That would be another plus. Instead of going with my intended 2.5'' spindle, I can go with a 3.

At $327 for the Upper Pair and $529 for the lower.... it is quite steep! At that price, I can find a complete and probably running c10 parts truck!

It's more expensive than stock, but you're getting better than stock too. With stock, junkyard or otherwise control arms, you still have to figure in ball joints(which you already have), control arm bushings and to clean and paint them. It really depends on how much you have to spend on the truck and what you want from it.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
cableguy0

if you got frame issues too. It might be a better idea to just start over. the money in frame repairs plus suspension you could get a parts truck thats probably in overall better shape than what your starting with.better condition now means a ton less money when it comes to restoration.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Jim85IROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
if you got frame issues too. It might be a better idea to just start over. the money in frame repairs plus suspension you could get a parts truck thats probably in overall better shape than what your starting with.better condition now means a ton less money when it comes to restoration.
That's more or less the conclusion I've come to on my truck. As much as I love my truck, the fact is, Vermont winters have done a number on it, and these trucks are actually worth enough up here that I can sell my truck for more than a clean Texas equivalent will cost me.

You may want to do the same.
My Sounddomain Page
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Typical New England control arm. Is the only other bad spot on the frame in the rear where the bumper bolts on or is the whole thing rusty? If it is just the back I would repair it and get some southern control arms shipped up.

There are good SWB chassis around you just have to know where to look, and be willing to spend a little cash

If you get in a bind, let me know maybe I can locate some parts for you.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #15
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing View Post
Typical New England control arm. Is the only other bad spot on the frame in the rear where the bumper bolts on or is the whole thing rusty? If it is just the back I would repair it and get some southern control arms shipped up.

There are good SWB chassis around you just have to know where to look, and be willing to spend a little cash

If you get in a bind, let me know maybe I can locate some parts for you.

Exactly where the bumper bolt area is. No way am I quitting now. I can fix this, just a bit more involved than I thought. I finished most of the cab work this past summer, new fenders are on, doors, have a southern bed sitting in my driveway. I realized I won't drive this year round when finished. Crappy in the snow anyways but it is amazing how fast the road salt eats away. Going to have to get something dedicated to winter use I guess.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 01-19-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
pcwillsie

great time to put in tubular control arms though
pcwillsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #17
Mr.Scary
Project Optimus Prime

Man thats just scary makes me wanna go out ans check my truck all over

"I said it b4 and i'll say it agian wiring is my worst enemy":devil:
Mr.Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

What ever you end up doing, you need to invest in whatever undercoating is the heaviest dutiest on everything that aint body color.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 01-19-2010 at 06:07 PM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #19
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Chevyrado View Post
What ever you end up doing, you need to invest in whatever undercoating is the heaviest dutiest on everything that aint body color.
Have been using a product called Zero Rust. Basically like POR 15. You brush it or spray it directly on the rust and it's suppose to adhere to it and stop it. I also go over this with spray on undercoating.