The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
MobSled

Ball Joints

Hey guys...

Just recently lowered my truck and while lowering the front I noticed that a few suspesion components need to be replaced. I`ve done pretty much everything else besides ball joints. Some guys are telling me to get them pressed in some guys are telling me they can be replaced without taking everything off and taking it to a shop to get them pressed in...

Whats the truth? I know it would be less time consuming to take them off and getting them pressed in but I really dont feel like yanking apart the whole front for 2 upper and 2 lower ball joints.

Can it be done without getting them pressed in? Any recommendation how to go about doing so and what tools are needed. I`ve tried searching the threads but nothing came up.

Any advise will be appreciated. BTW its a 77 C10 LWB.
MobSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
chrismoore701

Re: Ball Joints

Go to autozone and rent a ball joint press. it is the large "C" clamp looking tool. you can pop the old ones out and the new ones in with very little effort. it will make things alot easier if you have an impact to put on the clamp. that is how I did mine and was very suprised at how easy they went in.

Chris
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
bdydrp97s10

agree with the guy above me... but i beleive the uppers on your truck are riveted in and must be cut out...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
chrismoore701

they are and I had a friend take mine off, should be easy with a grinder or cut off wheel
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
MobSled

Well luckily I do have the airtools to use on the press and the grinder to cut the upper rivetts. Thx for the responses guys I just did not feel like paying somebody 80 bucks worth of labor to get it done when all my weekens wide open. The way I look at it those 80 bucks can get me a brand new set of springs in the front which I might as well replace while down there cause my cut oem springs are a bit too weak for my taste hehe. Thx again.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 AM   #6
Heater63

Just did mine at no cost. "Renting" a tool is actually free, as Autozone and ORielly just charge your card as deposit...you bring the tool back and get a total refund.

Just be careful not to damage the upper arms removing the rivets; and the new ones will bolt in.

If you have trouble with pressing out the lower ball joints, due to needing an extension- some tools don't have enough depth, use a BFH and the tools' cup that fits and justs drive it out. They are press fit and will pop out pretty easy.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
ClifBlazer

Is there a differens in ball joints 67-72 or73 I bought some from a guy that he said was for 67-72 and when I got them they say for 73 are they going to work? not meaning to steel thred but looks like your ? was answerd
ClifBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
MobSled

No problem at all my question has been answered...I pretty much purchased the whole front suspension including new springs and drop shocks. I'll attack the project this weekend. Thx for all the answers guys and if I run into any problems and find solutions as I go I'll post it up.

Regarding your balljoint question...when I purchased mine for the 77 at clarks autoparts which is a socal mom and pop store the label on the box reads high performance polyurathane ball joints chevy cc10 67-82. Don't take my or the boxes word for it. Maybe one of the other members might know from hand on expirience.

Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
MobSled

Last edited by MobSled; 01-21-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
ClifBlazer

thanks I feel better about them I guess I will no when I takem out so far got my lowerd spindles and rotors all the ball joints and bushings tie rods all thats left to get is the coil springs may be a sway bar that will be later probley
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
MobSled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifBlazer View Post
thanks I feel better about them I guess I will no when I takem out so far got my lowerd spindles and rotors all the ball joints and bushings tie rods all thats left to get is the coil springs may be a sway bar that will be later probley
yeah man thats your best bet when jacking up that front and doing the ball joints you might as well replace most the stuff that hooks up to your spindles. might as well also replace your bearing dude. Those are 10 bucks a side and you wont have to do twice the work later on down the road. Just my .02
Old 01-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #12
ClifBlazer

got the hole kit from a member here on site it has spindles rotors bearings brake lines calipers and shoes. I only want to do it once so Ill also sand blast it all to and paint it
Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifBlazer View Post
Is there a differens in ball joints 67-72 or73 I bought some from a guy that he said was for 67-72 and when I got them they say for 73 are they going to work? not meaning to steel thred but looks like your ? was answerd
YES there is a difference.
63-70
71-72
73-87

They need to match the correct year of the spindles you have.
You also need to get the correct year tie rod ends.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
ClifBlazer

so would this change with different spindles?