The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
170mphparachute

Please help with steering box problem

ok, please dont make any smart comments because Im uneducated.
I just got a 67 C10 long bed. The steering box on it leaks like no other from the bottom (I think its a seal blown) It had the power steering pump, etc on it but it didnt work and personally I like a clean engine bay. I cut the lines going to the steering box and ripped it all off. Now I think the steering box is out of fluid. How bad is it to run without fluid in the steering box, how long will it last, and if I replace it, do I need to get the manual steering box or the power one? If I get the power one, do I just cap off where the power steering lines went and put fluid in it? If I cant do that then do I get a manual steering box and will it be a direct replacement for my current power steering box? What do I need to do? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
170mphparachute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Please help with steering box problem

Welcome to the board!

Well, your idea about running a power steering box with out it's pump lines is not a good one. It will be so hard to steer that it would be unsafe, mainly because it would take a lot of work on your part to make the most basic turns.

Going from a power system to a manual for your situation isn't the best idea either, since a manual steering gear will cost about the same as a power steering gear. So, why cut yourself short? Unless you are all about getting rid of clutter in your engine compartment! (just kidding, since I am a manual steering guy).

If I were you, I would just replace the necessary parts that your rig requires and do it right the first time. If you are doing it yourself, there are a lot of vendors on this board that can set you up with what you need to get your steering set up correctly.

Either way, welcome to the board and don't be afraid to ask questions!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Sammy

Like said above I wouldn't recommend running a gear box without the lub lines connected. If you decide to return to standard steering gear box you will need to get both the gear box and pitman arm for the swap. From experance when a gear box freezes up they very seldom give any warning. And the wheel can stick into that direction without any further movements.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I agree with above... Try to steer a vehicle with the engine off that has power steering and that's about how hard you would have to steer to make a turn. In an emergency that would be dangerouse.

If your vehicle had p.s. before, try to get it going again. You will thank yourself later and if you ever decide to sell it, you will definitely get more for it.

Welcome from Texas...

On this board we discourage smart@$$ answers. We may joke sometimes since some guys have been here for years and know each other personally or otherwise, but it's never intended to denigrade or embarass.

Also, there are no dumb questions since at some point, we all started not knowing anything either.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
170mphparachute

I appreciate the answers. I definently dont want the ps back on so it sounds like I need the manual steering box and a pitman arm? Is this correct I think, thanks again guys and do you know of any site that sells this combo cheap?
170mphparachute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 170mphparachute View Post
ok, please dont make any smart comments because Im uneducated.
I just got a 67 C10 long bed. The steering box on it leaks like no other from the bottom (I think its a seal blown) It had the power steering pump, etc on it but it didnt work and personally I like a clean engine bay. I cut the lines going to the steering box and ripped it all off. Now I think the steering box is out of fluid. How bad is it to run without fluid in the steering box, how long will it last, and if I replace it, do I need to get the manual steering box or the power one? If I get the power one, do I just cap off where the power steering lines went and put fluid in it? If I cant do that then do I get a manual steering box and will it be a direct replacement for my current power steering box? What do I need to do? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Welcome from Arkansas!

I believe the 67-68 trucks had a power assist cylinder so yours has probably been upgraded with a newer steering gear. If you cut the hoses and they went to the steering gear you might as well buy an new manual box and pitman arm to get the cleaner look you are looking for.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 170mphparachute View Post
(I think its a seal blown)
I once knew an Eskimo that blew a seal.

(I know that was not constructive but it sure was funny.)
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote