The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Matt D

Warn Hub Info Issue For '77

Hi all!
I have a 77 Chevy 3/4 Ton "Full-Time" 4X4. I'm wanting to put locking hubs on to save on gas and tires.
I have talked to two sales reps from Warn, one said I dont need the spindle kit, and the other said I do.
Has any one converted from full-time four wheel drive to locking hubs? If so what did you need?
Thanks!
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
ToughBowtieTruck

Re: Warn Hub Info Issue For '77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Hi all!
I have a 77 Chevy 3/4 Ton "Full-Time" 4X4. I'm wanting to put locking hubs on to save on gas and tires.
I have talked to two sales reps from Warn, one said I dont need the spindle kit, and the other said I do.
Has any one converted from full-time four wheel drive to locking hubs? If so what did you need?
Thanks!
Well, I hate to break it to you but you can't just get rid of full time by switching hubs.

The full time transfer case won't move the truck with front hubs unlocked unless you are in "LOC", meaning turning the front drive shaft and axle shafts also. The only thing hub locks will do is unlock the front wheels from power.

You need to get a part time kit, pull the transfer case out, and install the kit - otherwise you won't get anywhere with locking hubs. It will still suck down the gas.

I do know from my '77s at least with part time transfer cases I didn't need any kits to install the Warm Premium hub locks.

"Mr. Simpson, there are thousands of people like you with no discernible talent." Duff World Records Division

"Yeah, they're called Congress!!" -Homer Simpson
ToughBowtieTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Matt D

Thanks!
Any suggestions on a part time kit? Or would you suggest pulling a part time transfer case from a salvage yard? I want to do all this at once.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
ToughBowtieTruck

Depends on the truck's transmission. You can either get a 205 gear drive, or a newer 800's 208 chain drive. The 208 is lighter in comparison, and probably easier to find for your truck. The 205 is all cast, and being gear drive is stronger, but depending on the trans can be harder to find the adapter for.

Or, you can also go with the part time kit. For me, I would rather just throw another transfer case in.

"Mr. Simpson, there are thousands of people like you with no discernible talent." Duff World Records Division

"Yeah, they're called Congress!!" -Homer Simpson
ToughBowtieTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

You can install the part time kit, without removing the TCase.

I also agree that you would be better off just getting a part time setup. The easiest thing to do is get a complete Trans/TCase setup. I don't know how popular they are down there, but I can get TH400's with NP208's attached with the front driveshaft for around $250-$350 depending on condition & milage.

Ask around and see if you can find someone who parts out Chevy trucks, there should be some around. Ususally they are much more reasonable with pricing than a salvage yard.

TH400/NP208's should be in most 3/4ton trucks from '81-'87

The main reason I suggest the complete setup is because you'll find that to swap just the case, your current trans output shaft might not be what the new case requires (Length & Spline count). It can be very frustrating and expensive to match them up.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Matt D

Thanks!
I have been looking for a 205 today. I have a TH400 and havnt found it dificult to find one.
If you have any other suggestions, pleas let me know.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Thanks!
I have been looking for a 205 today. I have a TH400 and havnt found it dificult to find one.
If you have any other suggestions, pleas let me know.
You still have to worry about the output shaft on the TH400. Not the tailhousing, the actual shaft itself. The trans must be original to a 205 case and the 205 case must have the correct TH400 sleeve and input shaft.

It can be very confusing. Everything has to match properly for it to work. That's why I suggested getting a trans/tcase combo complete.

If you have a 400 in your truck now with the NP203 - your actually better off selling it, as the hardcore 4x4 guys want the 400/203 as they can run what's called a "Doubler" Transfercase.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
67chevy77

I have a 77 1/2 ton that was full time 4x4. I just bought the WARN hubs and thats it i didnt need to do anything to transfercase. I dont know if the 3/4 would be the same as a 1/2 ton but thats all i had to do. But like they said im sure the driveshaft and everything is still going to spin its just not poering the wheels

1967 4x4 -sold-

1988 reg cab short bed 4x4 -sold-

1999 GMC extended cab short bed new body style Lifted on 33s.

Last edited by 67chevy77; 01-20-2010 at 08:19 PM.
67chevy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Matt D

Thanks everybody!
I guess I will just have to make a decision and go for it.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy77 View Post
I have a 77 1/2 ton that was full time 4x4. I just bought the WARN hubs and thats it i didnt need to do anything to transfercase. I dont know if the 3/4 would be the same as a 1/2 ton but thats all i had to do. But like they said im sure the driveshaft and everything is still going to spin its just not poering the wheels
If you didn't do anything to the transfercase, you must be driving in "LOC"....or somone else did the conversion before you got the truck.
1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks are the same as far as the transfercase goes, a NP203 is the same in either truck. Depending up the specific year, there can be a difference in the hubs themselves though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing View Post
The main reason I suggest the complete setup is because you'll find that to swap just the case, your current trans output shaft might not be what the new case requires (Length & Spline count). It can be very frustrating and expensive to match them up.
I agree with this completely, this is the simplest way to go. The only execption that I might add is if you have problems with the NP203. I don't think I would spend the time and money it would take to rebuild one. At that point I would swap it out for something better.

Also as arkracing mentioned, This is a very easy modification. It does NOT require removal of the transfercase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote