The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
JRBECK64

Front Licence Plate Bracket for a 64 Chevy

Has anyone seen a licence plate bracket for those of us who are supposed to be running with two plates? I have asked a few of my parts suppliers with no help. I hate to have to put the licence plate on the dash. I have thought about fabbing a licence plate bracket but the thought of drilling holes even in the underside of my Shinny Chrome bumper doesn't set well with me. Any thoughts?

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: Front Licence Plate Bracket for a 64 Chevy

Your bumper doesn't have the two holes in it? I don't think I've ever seen one without them.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Your bumper doesn't have the two holes in it? I don't think I've ever seen one without them.

No holes in my bumper. I think I am going to fab a plate that comes from under and sets just forward of the bumper. Then I will get it powder coated so it wont look like an after thought. Time to get the scrap metal out and the welder.

JRBECK64
Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
JRBECK64

No holes in this one.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Once again I’ve learned something new. I’ve never seen one of these bumpers without license plate holes.

I bolted a ¼” thick steel plate to my bumper to both reinforce the license plate, and to lower the plate to a more centered up/down position on the bumper. Here’s how it looks bare and with the plate mounted:

Perhaps you could fabricate a mount by starting with a steel angle between the lower flanges of the frame rails. From here you could move forward with strap welded to a plate that mounts the license. This way the plate could be completely free standing, requiring no holes drilled in the bumper. If designed for a discreet finished appearance, this could even be a minor unique feature.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Once again I’ve learned something new. I’ve never seen one of these bumpers without license plate holes.

I bolted a ¼” thick steel plate to my bumper to both reinforce the license plate, and to lower the plate to a more centered up/down position on the bumper. Here’s how it looks bare and with the plate mounted:

Perhaps you could fabricate a mount by starting with a steel angle between the lower flanges of the frame rails. From here you could move forward with strap welded to a plate that mounts the license. This way the plate could be completely free standing, requiring no holes drilled in the bumper. If designed for a discreet finished appearance, this could even be a minor unique feature.
Thanks for your input, basically the intent of fastening the licence braket is not to interupt the integrity of the chrome. I Like the Idea of making the braket free standing from the bumper. Looks like I need to get measuring and cutting and welding and plating. Sounds like a lot for a licence plate. Well whats another couple of day in this resto. BTW you and the person above have some really nice trucks.

Thanks again,

JRBECK64

Last edited by JRBECK64; 01-19-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #7
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Markeb01:

Your truck is one of my favorites on this site. Thanks for sharing.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Thanks Tony, much appreciated.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
19GMC63

huh, never seen that before either, but then again, never paid much attention.

My solution: Move to a state that doesn't require front plates.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
DaddyMack
Wide Eyed User

A lot of states that require two plates do so only if the manufacturer has a place for the front one. You might want to check that out. Usually, on older classic vehicles the cops wont care, its a fix it ticket or the exception is there. In Nevada, for instance, you don't have to have a front plate if the manufacturer didn't provide a place for it.. you don't have to make one.

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=294723

Final (as final can be ) Pics: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=393441
DaddyMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyMack View Post
A lot of states that require two plates do so only if the manufacturer has a place for the front one. You might want to check that out. Usually, on older classic vehicles the cops wont care, its a fix it ticket or the exception is there. In Nevada, for instance, you don't have to have a front plate if the manufacturer didn't provide a place for it.. you don't have to make one.
I have thought about calling the local police and see what they say about running with just one plate. Knowing them though, they would write their grandma a ticket if it would make this one horse town any money. Problem is if you dont get it in writing its your word against theirs so if it means I fab a plate holder then I guess I fab a plate holder. The nice thing about fabing one is it doesn't have to be ugly. Thanks for your advise.

JRBECK64
Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Nice job on the plate bracket Markeb01. We can always count on you for a slick solution. I'll have to borrow that idea if I may.

Any royalties charged for that?

Thanks.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Any royalties charged for that?

Thanks.
I'm afraid then I'd need to start paying for all the ideas I've bagged over the years!