The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Kateaux

Carolina Cameo Conversions out of business

I spoke with Andy of Carolina Cameo Conversions yesterday. They have gone out of business. The molds are for sale. I wanted to order the one piece bumper. He offered to sell me a mulit-piece bumper that was a prototype when they were getting started. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Kateaux
Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
terd ferguson

Re: Carolina Cameo Conversions out of business

It seems a lot of the smaller places are going out of business. Roddoors comes to mind as another one. It sucks, there's not enough American made stuff being put out. I'm tired of chinese crap that doesn't fit. It also sucks to have one less cameo parts supplier, especially one who was actually producing items. I hope somebody buys the molds and keeps it going under a different name.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"

Last edited by terd ferguson; 01-20-2010 at 08:26 PM.
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

That sucks! I would like to have gotten a pair of sides from them!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Kateaux

Andy said he would let me know who he sells out to. He also said he was the supplier to a lot of the truck vendors we buy from.

K8O
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
50adrod

wow did not know about roddoors going out of buisness, they were very good to deal with. glad I bought my interior when I did
1964 F 100 custom street rod http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...mark-viii.html
1950 custom Chevy Truck
50adrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
blackdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by terd ferguson View Post
Roddoors comes to mind as another one.
Rod doors is a horrible business with a horrible product. I wouldnt blame his failing business on the economy, but rather on his products and costumer service. Hes a JERK when i called him about the cheap "stick on" velcro peices of JUNK all he had to say was "well some people have to screw the door panels on" He KNEW it was trash before he sent them out. dont get me started on this guy....
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
mr48chev

I always had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to have a Cameo one of these days even if I had to build my own with the pieces from Andy.

That's the problem when you deal to a fairly limited market and if he had pieces out on credit to vendors that may have been the killer.

Locally I hate to see outfits that I deal with move to newer larger facilities simply because it has seemed to be the end of several good companies with great products locally. I've also seen a couple go down due to the owner pulling way too much money out of the company for personal use and not putting it back in the company or keeping enough in reserve.

The stuff that Rod Doors sold wasn't my style so I haven't really paid them any attention.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #8
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I always had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to have a Cameo one of these days even if I had to build my own with the pieces from Andy.

That's the problem when you deal to a fairly limited market and if he had pieces out on credit to vendors that may have been the killer.

Locally I hate to see outfits that I deal with move to newer larger facilities simply because it has seemed to be the end of several good companies with great products locally. I've also seen a couple go down due to the owner pulling way too much money out of the company for personal use and not putting it back in the company or keeping enough in reserve.

The stuff that Rod Doors sold wasn't my style so I haven't really paid them any attention.
Not really my style either. They were more geared towards the tweed street rod crowd. But another company producing American made products for old cars down the tubes. My style or not, hate to see it happen in a market already over saturated with chinese crap.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
Kateaux

I did some searching for Cameo stuff and found this place. Is anyone familiar with them? Looks like they do their own fiberglass and are not just resellers. Also, noticed the black gelcoat which is different from some of the others.

http://www.trucksandroadsters.com/CAMEO/index.html

Kateaux
Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Rod doors is a horrible business with a horrible product. I wouldnt blame his failing business on the economy, but rather on his products and costumer service. Hes a JERK when i called him about the cheap "stick on" velcro peices of JUNK all he had to say was "well some people have to screw the door panels on" He KNEW it was trash before he sent them out. dont get me started on this guy....
I liked RodDoors stuff, but your right, the velcrow stick on's just don't work.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
blackdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC View Post
I liked RodDoors stuff, but your right, the velcrow stick on's just don't work.
after my interior guy got done with my door panels they turned out pretty good i think. my interior guy said he'd never do another set of those roddoors door panels. i think he had trouble getting the two tone inserts to stay put.

the roddoor guy said he had never had a complaint on the velcro??? i was like well put me down as #1! i ended up having to screw them to the door.
'57 2wd change
Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
the roddoor guy said he had never had a complaint on the velcro??? i was like well put me down as #1! i ended up having to screw them to the door.
Well, I no that's not ture. I called them and he told me some times you need to use a strong glue to hold the tabs on.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
blackdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC View Post
Well, I no that's not ture. I called them and he told me some times you need to use a strong glue to hold the tabs on.
Well i knew he was filling me full of BS. He told me to screw the velcro to the door
'57 2wd change
Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Kateaux

Just got a email from http://www.trucksandroadsters.com/CAMEO/index.html. They have the Cameo part I needed and in stock. Glad to know there is still a supplier out there.

Kateaux
Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by terd ferguson View Post
Not really my style either. They were more geared towards the tweed street rod crowd. But another company producing American made products for old cars down the tubes. My style or not, hate to see it happen in a market already over saturated with chinese crap.
All I can add is that I read this weekend that China has 10,000 factories (that is not a typo) that have started in the last 20 years and now their economy is shrinking with production shifting to India, Sir Lanka, etc. At some point American's are going to need to realize that we will need to pay more for products to bring back jobs to this country. In the long haul everyone will benefit.

Last edited by OrrieG; 01-26-2010 at 02:12 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #16
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
All I can add is that I read this weekend that China has 10,000 factories (that is not a typo) that have started in the last 20 years and now their economy is shrinking with production shifting to India, Sir Lanka, etc. At some point American's are going to need to realize that we will need to pay more for products to bring back jobs to this country. In the long haul everyone will benefit.

Unfortunately many of the jobs will never come back. I can say Never to
Too much money has been invested.
I think its funny (not really) that this subject seems to be a topic now that trouble hit. We were being preached this over 30 years ago. Now we talk about it. Yet we still shop and buy the chinese made stuff.. Too late now. I look at the japanese tools made in the 60's that were crappy ( I thouht). I still have some of them and the quality was a lot better than what they sell now.

Last edited by mbgmike; 01-26-2010 at 08:03 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #17
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

In the 70's Japan made a huge push toward quality control and today they make some of the best machine parts and bearings in the world. The charge was lead by an American that no one wanted to listen to here in he US. W. Edwards Deming
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote